U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:25 AM

7,151 posts, read 4,476,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequincrow View Post
I know several people that live in Sudden Valley who wish they could leave. Check out all of the fees and rules for the neighborhood association very thoroughly.
Oh yeah, that's true ... there is some frustration there with the community controls ... though also true that a lot of residents value those controls (no one likes fees, in any case ... but they are a cost of management and maintenance).

Personally, I hate CC&R's and all manner of civilized cooperation ... crusty and cantankerous as I am. I would Never consider living in S.V. Still, all in all, it is reasonably well-kept and has fair points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 08:31 PM

365 posts, read 461,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
You pointed out the exact reason why the area so perfect. Smack in the middle with access to Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria and even a ferry to Alaska. It doesn't get any more perfect as far as location. At least the Olympics is a temporary nuisance and will be over. I do feel badly for the locals. I use to live in an area on the east coast that was overrun by tourists in the summer and I have to admit it was very annoying just to go to the grocery store. Hopefully it won't inconvenience the locals too badly but I can empathize, I really can. I don't think the "Olympics" will detour me but I think it's going to hard to find a home in my price range. I live on the eastside of Seattle and the prices around here are still "grossly overpriced" and probably will be forever. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think of Sudden Valley? Does it really get more rain even though it's 10 minutes outside of downtown Bellingham? Prices are great but then you wonder why is it so inexpensive in Sudden Valley. Any thoughts?
Hi jojo7,
That's what I'm thinking about the Olympics...temporary nuisance, yes, but also possibly good boost in income for local merchants, that can't be a bad thing. I know the city is working on being prepared for the Olympics. I just really don't think we're ready to be the "parking lot for Americans" for the Olympics...sheesh!
Also, I live in Sudden Valley. My husband and I absolutely love it here. First of all, when we started looking for a house to buy in Bellingham "sticker shock" to live in town made us think outside the box at bit which landed us here.
We knew what we were getting into with the SVA as well as anyone else who lives here.
There are some "disgrunted residents" moving and probably some for other reasons, too. It was less than $20 a month and I don't think that is much to ask for the quality of life we have out here. It's understandable since there hasn't been a dues increase for sometime here yet cost of living affects all of us.
Housing is cheaper out here for the most part because we aren't exactly IN Belllingham. It's a 4 mile drive around the lake to get to the Geneva area and 12 miles to downtown.
We do get a lot of rain, sometimes more sometimes less than in town. I can think of numerous times it not raining here and going into town and it's rainy there. I do think we get more but I don' think we get too much more rain than in town.
jojo7, you are a woman after my heart..."It doesn't get any more perfect as far as location." I've seen a lot of this country and no other town could sweep me off my feet like Bellingham!
Cheers!

Old 07-27-2008, 11:10 PM

53 posts, read 168,985 times
Talking $udden Valley

My wife and I tried moving to B'Ham in 2006 and just missed buying into a house by $50k. The problems we found were that people who lived in Ferndale were driving their kids to B'Ham for soccer practice. The point being is that everyone has to go to B'Ham, so there is no reason to live outside of B'Ham. We looked at homes in Sedrowooley but the commute to the grocery store would be a 40 minute round trip. The school district lines are whack out there because your kids would have a 45 min bus ride. We looked into Sudden Valley and the lack of backyards, and no fence rules were a concern. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats, if wanted the dogs fenced it would have to be an invisible fence. Also with animals your aloud no more than 2 pets and it has to be no more than 1 species. So, I would have to get rid of 1 dog and 1 cat to live there. We love B'Ham, we got married at Semiahmoo and would love nothing more to live there. We too are concerned about the Olympics, but becareful of your real estate inflation thoughts after the olympics. When the winter olympics ended in Salt Lake City, the economy whent to the pooper and their still recovering.

To get to B'Ham we moved to Longmont, CO, and we are flipping a home to get there. Yes we really, really, REALLY want to live there and raise our family there.

Also for people who are moving there the job market is tough. From my understanding Bellingham isn't just a place you move to, you have to earn it.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:40 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,488,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poogie777 View Post
Hi jojo7,
That's what I'm thinking about the Olympics...temporary nuisance, yes, but also possibly good boost in income for local merchants, that can't be a bad thing. I know the city is working on being prepared for the Olympics. I just really don't think we're ready to be the "parking lot for Americans" for the Olympics...sheesh!
Also, I live in Sudden Valley. My husband and I absolutely love it here. First of all, when we started looking for a house to buy in Bellingham "sticker shock" to live in town made us think outside the box at bit which landed us here.
We knew what we were getting into with the SVA as well as anyone else who lives here.
There are some "disgrunted residents" moving and probably some for other reasons, too. It was less than $20 a month and I don't think that is much to ask for the quality of life we have out here. It's understandable since there hasn't been a dues increase for sometime here yet cost of living affects all of us.
Housing is cheaper out here for the most part because we aren't exactly IN Belllingham. It's a 4 mile drive around the lake to get to the Geneva area and 12 miles to downtown.
We do get a lot of rain, sometimes more sometimes less than in town. I can think of numerous times it not raining here and going into town and it's rainy there. I do think we get more but I don' think we get too much more rain than in town.
jojo7, you are a woman after my heart..."It doesn't get any more perfect as far as location." I've seen a lot of this country and no other town could sweep me off my feet like Bellingham!
Cheers!

Boy, there sure are some mixed feelings on Sudden Valley. I wouldn't mind being away from town since this would be a getaway type of home for us. My only concern with SV is the CCR's since we planned on buying something that needs fixing or a home that needs an addition put on and the restrictions may limit what we can do. Still in the process of finding the right neighborhood. We want to purchase something small and very inexpensive. There was a perfect tiny home in the Roosevelt neighborhood but heard about how it's the highest crime area in Bellingham but on the rise for improving. I never realized how many neighborhoods there are in Bellingham. Do you know anything about the Roosevelt neighborhood and are there any neighborhoods in particular to investigate? I am new to the Bellingham area. I love Fairhaven but I have accepted the fact that there wouldn't be anything in my price range. I greatly appreciate your opinion.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:50 PM

365 posts, read 461,969 times
Ya, there are mixed feelings about SV. Maybe I'm just very optimistic, but I think the majority who live here love it, too. Those that don't, I feel, should move. Why be unhappy? With that said, as for additions to homes I know for a fact that they do approvals. I think it's all about planning it out whether or not it gets approved.
I took care of an elder lady who lived with her daughter and family out here that were making big additions to their home at the time. I'm sure they got the approval to do so. Why wouldn't others? And they were way over the written 1200 sq ft rule before starting their additions.
As for the Roosevelt neighborhood, yes, it's been the highest crime area. However, I've had 2 girl friends live in that neighborhood with no problems that they've told me about when they lived there.
I have noticed there are reconstruction changes being made to already homes, big improvements. I really feel that nieghborhood is looking up!
I can't really pin point what's good for you, jojo7. Silver Beach, Geneva, Lettered Streets, Samish Hill...I'm very biased to all of Bellingham.
Sudden Valley just worked for us. The houses in town were old, small, and way too much for what they were asking at the time we were looking.
I would recommend coming up here and taking a nice long drive around Bellingham to help you decide.
I wish you the best in finding your perfect spot in Bellingham. If there's anything else I can do to help, let me know.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:17 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,488,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poogie777 View Post
Ya, there are mixed feelings about SV. Maybe I'm just very optimistic, but I think the majority who live here love it, too. Those that don't, I feel, should move. Why be unhappy? With that said, as for additions to homes I know for a fact that they do approvals. I think it's all about planning it out whether or not it gets approved.
I took care of an elder lady who lived with her daughter and family out here that were making big additions to their home at the time. I'm sure they got the approval to do so. Why wouldn't others? And they were way over the written 1200 sq ft rule before starting their additions.
As for the Roosevelt neighborhood, yes, it's been the highest crime area. However, I've had 2 girl friends live in that neighborhood with no problems that they've told me about when they lived there.
I have noticed there are reconstruction changes being made to already homes, big improvements. I really feel that nieghborhood is looking up!
I can't really pin point what's good for you, jojo7. Silver Beach, Geneva, Lettered Streets, Samish Hill...I'm very biased to all of Bellingham.
Sudden Valley just worked for us. The houses in town were old, small, and way too much for what they were asking at the time we were looking.
I would recommend coming up here and taking a nice long drive around Bellingham to help you decide.
I wish you the best in finding your perfect spot in Bellingham. If there's anything else I can do to help, let me know.
Thanks so much for your reply. You are right, I do need to drive around the neighborhoods and check it out. We plan on coming in October for an overnight getaway which will give us plenty of time for a drive through the neighborhoods. I still plan on driving through Sudden Valley. It's so affordable and after doing some searching online, I could probably find a house that doesn't need an addition in my price range so CC&R's may not be an issue. I will know the right place and the right house when I see it and I really appreciate your views. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington