U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 02:46 AM

3,871 posts, read 15,140,805 times

Advertisements

No, neither Coupeville nor Langley is closed during the winter, because people live there. Those are towns, with real people. Both towns, especially Langley, put on the bells and spangles for the summer crowds, but everything is still there in the winter, many with shorter hours, and those of us exiled to the mainland hop over there on weekends (the younger ones hop over for dinner during the week) to get our mussels and play on the cold beaches.

I remember Woods Hole. I spent a day there several lifetimes ago. Thrilling, isn't it?!

P.S. Both Ira and I know your summers and winters intimately: he grew up in NJ, I grew up in NYC.

P.P.S. If you can feel "Cozy and brooding and sort of depressing...we loved it!" about foggy weather, you will sing and dance here when winter comes!! Western WA is famous for its cloudy winters, although Coupeville gets less cloudiness than the mainland. But my feeling every year is that I am being embraced by the gods of the air. Now -- with a joyousness like yours, you can really resonate to this area, entrained with the sky! Ahhhhhh

Last edited by allforcats; 08-08-2008 at 03:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 11:26 PM

540 posts, read 655,594 times
Default Another new Whidbey Islander

xxerdocxx (whidbey island girl) -

We're with you on the excitement of the move! We've been shadowing City Data forum since we got the news in May of our move (btw - love the forum and have fun with the other places to see!). We've visited the island twice - over Memorial Day weekend and again over 4th of July, both holidays so we could get an extra day in.

Have been doing lots of house hunting and drive bys to see what areas we might like. Also getting used to the pricing difference in housing costs between the island and northern Idaho - ouch!!

But - really have fallen in love with with the island and the towns and area itself. Figure since we'll be living there, we better get to know it - and we like what we've seen!

We've eaten at the Mad Crab, Flyer's in Oak Harbor which is almost a sports bar kind of atmosphere with good food, and then top end was Frasers in Oak Harbor. That was a 3-hour meal that was spendy - but OMG how wonderful!!!! We do a LOT of on-line research and driving around research trying to learn where we're going to be living.

Coupeville is where we are leaning towards buying, but we've also looked at places north of Oak Harbor. We'd love to live south of Coupeville, but working in OH and thinking of that drive has kind of dropped that out of our option mainly due to the fact that we'd be off of Hwy 20 a ways.

Good luck on the move - and hope it works well for all of us!

Old 08-09-2008, 01:08 PM

34 posts, read 148,861 times
Default Coupeville-Facing West, etc.

No matter where you build a home, you'll want to plan for exposure of the sun. A good designer can help you with that. We have large overhangs, maybe 4 feet, and I never need curtains for blocking the sun. In the winter, the sun comes in nicely and makes the place bright and cheery.

So...on that note...I'd pick the Coupeville location. You can see gray whales in Penn Cove, otters, dolphins, etc. You are protected from the wind--which you will not get on the west side of any part of Whidbey. You can see sunrises over Mount Baker and the Sisters mountains, depending upon which way your property faces.

Looking at the town of Coupeville would be ideal, in my opinion. It's a really cute town. See Come to Coupeville, Washington and that might be the view you'll be getting.

If you have tideland rights, most likely, you'll be able to clam right outside your door. Mussels grow wild on the rocks too. Not sure if you're allowed to remove those. Definitely, crab. Yum!

This place is paradise. The wild native blackberries are just beginning to ripen.

Re: restaurants. I believe Coupeville beats Langley. Try The Oystercatcher restaurant. It's amazing. Christopher's is great too. Mad Crab is a fun place to hang out. Toby's has super mussels. Miriam's Espresso has terrific paninis, soups & salads. We have pizza too-but it's a chain--Pizza Factory. But, I think it's pretty good. Not a gourmet pizza place though. The Capt. Whidbey reopened--drinks and appetizers on the deck watching the wildlife on Penn Cove. And you have Beth at The Bayleaf wine & cheese shop for all your gourmet goodies.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:20 PM
LMB

406 posts, read 1,654,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post
Re: restaurants. I believe Coupeville beats Langley. Try The Oystercatcher restaurant. It's amazing. Christopher's is great too. Mad Crab is a fun place to hang out. Toby's has super mussels. Miriam's Espresso has terrific paninis, soups & salads. We have pizza too-but it's a chain--Pizza Factory. But, I think it's pretty good. Not a gourmet pizza place though. The Capt. Whidbey reopened--drinks and appetizers on the deck watching the wildlife on Penn Cove. And you have Beth at The Bayleaf wine & cheese shop for all your gourmet goodies.
We had a great lunch at a cozy little waterfront cafe--can't think of the name, but it's right along the main street. Seems like we went downstairs. Beautiful view. Coupeville is delightful! Ebey's Landing has a spectacular view and is an easy hike. Ah, Whidbey Island...I always smile when I think of it.

Lynn

Old 08-09-2008, 01:26 PM

That was probably the Knead & Feed. I forgot about that too!

Great soups, super turkey cranberry cream cheese sandwich and fantastic baked goods! Love the marionberry bear claw, though the cinnamon roll comes in close second.

Or we have the Coffeehouse a few doors down, also stepping down. Great place to curl up with a book, have a coffee and watch the water. I like their quiche there.

Anywhere else people want to eat? I think I've been everywhere!

Old 08-09-2008, 02:22 PM
LMB

406 posts, read 1,654,181 times
It was the Knead & Feed! Thanks, I've been trying to remember the name of that place for months. We were there on a chilly December day, so it was soup & hot cider plus some amazing rhubarb pie. Yum! Such a nice, cozy comfy spot. I think we need a return trip. This time, now that we live in Poulsbo, we'd probably head that way via Port Townsend and the Keystone ferry. Nice day trip.

Lynn

Old 08-11-2008, 12:01 AM

6 posts, read 54,297 times
Whidbey-
Thank you so much for your advice. I'd really like to purchase the home (property) on Penn Cove and look over at Coupeville....having Tideland rights would be amazing...crabbing and boating would be heaven! I've heard from my realtor that the area on the west side north of coupeville has major sand and wind exposure....issues of hot baking sun were also mentioned in this thread. Seeing whales in Penn coved would be amazing. We dined in the Mad Crab and this awsome local bar that had great mussels (can't remember it's name, sorry!) and of course, being from NJ, we LOVED Christopher's....what a lovely meal.
Thanks again for your help!

Seadreams-
Thanks for your reply! SO excited to hear that you're going to be on the island as well!!!! My husabnd is working in Coupeville, so we couldn't move to the east part of OH....we looking at property on Strawberry point but it's simply too far.....OH has a great pulse....from what little we saw!!!!

We're going to buy a home this week! So exciting! I call my two little dogs my "whidbey Island Doggies!!!!"- they have no idea what I'm talking about, but they will!!! Best of luck with your move....we've really got a hike infront of us, but we'll manage....can't wait to have a beer and some crab at the Mad Crab or some mussels at Toby's Tavern...and we never even had a bit to eat in OH!!!!!

-W.I.G.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:20 AM

Default Awesome local bar

The mussels at the "awesome local bar" were probably at Toby's--on the water. Best thing on their menu and a great place to hang out.

Yes, the west side of Whidbey, anywhere on Whidbey can be windy.

Re: hot baking sun--you're going to want to buy a home/property that allows sun exposure--you'll want that in the wintertime. Make sure you're not blocked by trees or hill/terrain. The sun is lower in the wintertime.

Look for a home where you can open windows. Nobody, or few, have air conditioning and you don't need it. But, you will want to make sure you can get some ventilation on hot days. Usually, the temperature is perfect. West side is cooler than the east side of the island, due to onshore flow off of the water.

Depending upon the home design, the sun could be lovely. Those houses that are perfectly flat in back, with no roof overhang--not so good. It's more being blinded by the sun when it's at a certain angle, versus overheating. Think about design. Or, you can always plant a deciduous tree.

Your dogs will have a great time in Coupeville area. Lots of parks, trails, beaches with public access, and even a dog park off of Patmore road.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:51 PM

25 posts, read 63,573 times
Coupeville and Langley are pretty much closed in the winter (very few tourists), which is good for locals unless you happen to own one of the businesses that suffer in the off-season slow down. Many business owners close shop or have severely reduced hours during the winter. I know a number of people here who do most of their traveling during the winter because of that.

Glad to hear that your Realtor told you about the wind on the west side...I'm a real estate agent also, and I always inform clients about the wind, especially if they are from out of state. I am originally from northern California, and the winds here are much stronger than any that I experienced in CA. One more thing...although Village Pizzeria is the best pizza on the island, it is not the same as NY pizza. But it is good nonetheless!

Good luck in your move!

Old 08-15-2008, 02:51 AM

Default Closed for the winter

I'm not sure if I agree...Coupeville has Whidbey General Hospital and all the county administrative buildings. Restaurants, espresso, video, even the toystore are open all year.

I believe one of the artists took a longer vacation, but most owners are open. In winter, a few stores add an extra day off, but that would only be on Front Street. Most merchants try to keep regular hours. Yes, there are a few that are more laid back, but that's a few, not the whole town.

Since most restaurants & shops are run by the owner, with an employee or two, you will find that they are generally closed for at least one day a week year-round. In winter, they may be closed two.

It is a small town...no 24-hour shopping stores. You can drive north to Oak Harbor for 24-hour, 7day a week type stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or