Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 07:11 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times

Advertisements

Is Pt. Roberts basically a suburb of Vancouver, Canada? I assume post people go shopping in Vancouver. Is there a decent bus system from Pt. Roberts to various parts of Vancouver? How much of a hassle is the border crossing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 09:48 PM

45 posts, read 263,679 times
It's not quite a suburb. It's a little far, especially with border crossing time. There are a lot of weekend visitors from Vancouver. It's a good 45 minute commute each way EXCLUDING border crossing time.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
... How much of a hassle is the border crossing?
adequately enough of a hassle to 'get-back-in' (USA) that many locals all across the border now limit their crossings. I'm wishing a 'scanned' passport proceedure would reduce the '3rd degree'. Make it more similar to airport immigration, rather than visiting a prison. (But they do need to search the cars...) The lines at this crossing can get pretty long, truck crossing usually better, and Lynden too, But you surely don't want to go that far out of your way ... I'm not aware of 'commuter' bus service, that is unlikely, but would be good idea. If there wasn't a vehicle involved in the crossing, less to search.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,619 times
Default air quality in point roberts?

has anyone here ever lived in point roberts? i was wondering if they get alot or any smog from vancouver. also is it as cold as bellingham in the winter, as much snow? is it very buggy.
realtors make every place sound like shangri la. would like to hear some truth.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,584 times
Default Once you're in Point Roberts

Does Point Roberts have its own bus system to get around? Please advise about this. Thanks

Old 12-15-2012, 09:45 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dunn View Post
Does Point Roberts have its own bus system to get around? Please advise about this. Thanks
Point Roberts isn't that big of a place and is mostly all residential and private property. I don't recall ever seeing a bus system there, and I have visited a few times. (Both my grandfather and great grandfather grew up there, and my great great grandparents first stepped foot on US soil in Point Roberts when they came here from Iceland). I know that most kids are bussed to Blaine for school. That's four border crossing each and every day for them. It's four border crossings to and from anywhere else in the US from Point Roberts. (Unless you have your own boat or plane to take). Most people do their shopping in Canada. It was once a place of Icelandic settlers, and now is mostly a place of weekend getaways for Canadians.

Crossing the border there is just like crossing any other, except for that the lines are much shorter, because there isn't nearly as much traffic traveling over it as there is say the one in Blaine. (If you don't mind a longer drive, there is another border crossing slightly farther east of the peace arch crossing that generally sees less traffic than at the peace arch, and as such waiting times to make a crossing are shorter).

Old 12-15-2012, 11:29 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Any ferry service to Puget Sound desitnations?

Old 12-15-2012, 11:42 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Any ferry service to Puget Sound desitnations?
Nope.

There are ferries options not too far from Point Roberts on the Canadian side that go to Puget Sound (BC) destinations.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:34 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Going to Canada to catch a ferry would be pointless. Some might own a private boat to ferry themselves, I guess.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:31 PM

131 posts, read 480,381 times
There is a US water taxi, but it would be pricey. If I were bringing over a licensed pistol or other red cape for the custom's "bull", that might be the way I went. Otherwise, I can't see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington