U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 13,052 times
Unhappy Travel route from Las Vegas to Seattle

Hello everyone! My husband and I will be relocating from Las Vegas to Seattle Oct. 1st (finally!!!!). We have visited twice (driving both times) once through CA to OR and once throught ID, OR to WA. We are a little concerned about driving a 16 foot moving truck through the mountain passes (mainly Snoqualmie). Does anyone have a recommended route? Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 05:47 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,307,616 times
What is it that concerns you about Snoqualmie Pass? Snow? Wind? The elevation of Snoqualmie Pass is 3,000 ft. Currently, the snow level in the local Cascade Mountains is at around 5,000 ft, and the forecast for next week is warmer. In early October, we almost always get rain in the pass, not snow. As for wind, Snoqualmie Pass is not windy as it's protected by mountains on all sides.

Here's the always-live web cam at Snoqualmie Pass from the Washington State Dept. of Transportation, so you can keep track.
The little numbers right under the picture will show you different locations from west of the pass to east.
Farther below are detailed weather conditions including wind, and a 2-day weather forecast for the pass.

In the left column you'll find web cams for other mountain passes, weather conditions, and gobs of other fundamental travel information.

WSDOT - Snoqualmie Pass Road and Weather Conditions

Hope all this helps!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:43 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,507,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alg406 View Post
Hello everyone! My husband and I will be relocating from Las Vegas to Seattle Oct. 1st (finally!!!!). We have visited twice (driving both times) once through CA to OR and once throught ID, OR to WA. We are a little concerned about driving a 16 foot moving truck through the mountain passes (mainly Snoqualmie). Does anyone have a recommended route? Please help!!!
Just go up I-5. Now that California is a third world country you have to go slow on the stretch between Bakersfield and Sacramento. We hauled a trailer on I-5 last winter and had all sorts of stuff fall off the trailer. Go slow, if you can.

From Sacramento north to the Oregon State line has been fixed this past spring. When we drove it in July it was fine.

Between Redding and Roseberg will be a tiring drive. I hate the stretch through the Lake Shasta area. It is better around Yreka, and then you pull a pretty good grade into Oregon. From Medford to Roseberg is my least favorite part of the road. Pretty, but lots of grades. It will take longer on this day that you probably planned. I would stay in Redding or Red Bluff the night before.

Highways are much, much better in Oregon and Washington. I left my pocketknife on the trailer in Talent, Oregon and 250 miles north it was still there. After watching everything fall off the trailer in California I was impressed.

Be sure to take 205 around Portland.

Plan your arrival in Seattle for a Saturday or Sunday. Traffic in the Seattle area is just awful.

If you have a GPS unit with you it will make the drive much easier.

By October you should plan on rain from Roseberg north. Be sure your wipers are working and lights adjusted.

Our preferred route is through the east side of the Sierra's through Oregon on 97 into Washington. But most of this is two lane road and if your not use to driving these roads it could be interesting with a 16 foot truck.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:12 PM

336 posts, read 588,113 times
Going through snoqualmie in oct should be no problem. Its nov that you should start to worry. But other posters have left good suggestions to alternate routes....but if it is snow you are worried about, then the pass should be good and clear this time of year. Its later in the fall you would have to worry about. Good luck and safe journey!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:24 PM

5,601 posts, read 12,384,288 times
I'm going to go against the crowd here as I travel back and forth from the Las Vegas area to the Seattle area numerous times a year sometimes with very large vehicles.

Since you will be driving a moving truck, the shortest is actually the Utah, Idaho, Oregon route. You will be on an interstate for the entire trip and it's actually shorter than the Las Vegas to Bakersfield and I-5 route or the east of the Sierras route. It's less busy and more scenic too, IMO.

You will be going over two mountain passes, Cabbage Hill-Deadman Pass on I-84 and Snoqualmie Pass on I-90. However, it will be extremely unlikely that either will have snow on the 1st of October. Unless a freak snowstorm, the probability of snow on either of those passes is very remote.

As Allforcats and sykesfamily have said, you will have absolutely NO problem with your vehicle on Snoqualmie Pass. It is a heavily traveled interstate with wide lanes and relatively gentle grades.

However, coming down Deadman Pass in Oregon is a fairly good grade but with lots of turnbacks and brake fade runaway lanes. They're kind of scary when looking at them. But just gear down and take it SLOW! Try to stay off your brakes as much as possible and let the engine do the braking as much as you can. It's only for a few miles and will have a breathtaking view looking out toward Pendleton.

So, my recommendation is the I-15 to I-84 to I-82 to I-90 route. You'll enjoy it. I made it once in a moving truck only in the opposite direction and it was around the 1st of November.

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-24-2008 at 10:34 PM..

Old 09-25-2008, 10:36 AM

132 posts, read 324,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Since you will be driving a moving truck, the shortest is actually the Utah, Idaho, Oregon route. You will be on an interstate for the entire trip and it's actually shorter than the Las Vegas to Bakersfield and I-5 route or the east of the Sierras route. It's less busy and more scenic too, IMO.
This is the route I took when I first moved to Washington. I drove a large moving truck and had no problems.

Welcome to Washington from another Las Vegas gal.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:39 AM

8,785 posts, read 22,159,751 times
Worry more about driving the truck in Seattle - you want to be certain you know the exact route so you don't have to back up, etc. particularly when you get off the Interstate. Put someone in the passenger's seat that can navigate, so the driver can concentrate on driving.

I like Scirocco's plan for a route.

If you are passing the big rigs, particularly going down grade, you are probably going too fast. Definitely select the correct lower gear for the big downgrade, pump the brakes rather than apply them steadily.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 12,249 times
Default drive from las vegas to seattle

Hello,
i will be driving from las vegas to seattle in a few days. wanted to find out which route you took and which one had less elevation.
i will need all the help i can get. will be driving alone. thanks, j

Quote:
Originally Posted by alg406 View Post

Old 11-04-2011, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 7,360 times
Planning A drive from Las Vegas to Seattle then south to San Diego. Making that drive to Seattle from
Las Vegas how long of a drive?

Old 11-04-2011, 09:01 AM

3,581 posts, read 6,788,949 times
Joe, you can put your starting points and destinations in to Google Maps and find out how many miles and how long it will take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington