U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2007, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 9,638 times

Advertisements

Hello out there
I am thinking about accepting a job in Lakewood WA but have never been. I am around 30 and am looking for some night life, quaint downtown shopping areas, possibly a college town/hippie feel. Are there any areas within commuting distance that have a reasonable crime rate, housing costs around 250,000, and good transportation. I am somewhat concerned about what I have been reading on some of the posts about the tacoma area and would appreciate any advice.......
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 01:24 AM

8 posts, read 76,512 times
Hello,
Well as a former Lakewoodian...LOL...I can tell you that when I lived there, some 5 years ago, that it was close enough to Tacoma to enjoy its nightlife without getting the Hangover that living in Tacoma could give you. I personally thought that Lakewood was a little Tacoma. It's crime rate was steadily moving upwards when I left. The Tacoma police had jurisdiction there, now Lakewood has it's own police. There is an abundance of sex offenders there primarily because of McNeil Island being right off of the shore to Steilacoom. (the town right next to Lakewood) I am not trying to say that Lakewood is a bad area. I just would not live there anymore. Working there is great. A short distance south would be Lacey, Washington. It has more of the Hippie/college town feel. Faintly because it is. I moved there to escape Lakewood. Lacey is close to Olympia which is about a 10-15 minute drive to Lakewood. There is an abundance of small shops and the crime rate isn't too bad. The Saturday market in Olympia lasts all year long and the waterfront restaraunts have great seafood.

I hope that this has helped you. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:22 PM

292 posts, read 1,223,019 times
My DH's family is Lakewood, Spanaway and Tacoma, so I am in that area quite a bit. Having lived in nice, suburban areas of Snohomish County all my life I had a very negative impression of Tacoma and the south end. So here is my perspective.

I would not chose to live in Lakewood. As downtown Tacoma goes more upscale and gentrifies, the seedier elements are migrating to the south and east.

But if I didn't have kids, I would definitely live in the Proctor/6th Avenue/UPS/Old Town districts of Tacoma. UPS is a beautiful campus and 6th Ave has a vibrant nightlife. Downtown Tacoma has the Swiss, for a funky, college-vibe hangout (it's close to UW-Tacoma). My favorite area of Tacoma is Old Town, for it's small-town waterfront feel.

Tacoma is making a huge investment in it's downtown and waterfront areas. I'd live there and commute to Lakewood.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:05 PM

29 posts, read 92,126 times
Downtown Tacoma is actually very nice now compared to the late 80s-90s. They also now have a light rail system downtown and you can be in downtown seattle in a half hour by rail. Unfortunately everyone in WA is still scared of Tacoma, if they renamed the city everyone would want to live there.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:38 PM

330 posts, read 1,410,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret_squirrel View Post
But if I didn't have kids, I would definitely live in the Proctor/6th Avenue/UPS/Old Town districts of Tacoma.
I do have kids and I'd live in those areas . . . just can't afford it anymore!

Old 05-17-2008, 06:49 PM

103 posts, read 658,651 times
Hi,take the job if you like it.
Lakewood is next to University Place.If you scroll down to previous post you see lots of people want to live there.Lakewood butts right up to I-5 and has plenty of Bus service and at least 2 Park &Rides and light rail opening real soon.There is the Lakewood Mall and the Tacoma Mall 15 minutes away.Lots of Military People live in Lakewood since McChord Air Force Base and Fort Lewis are right there.We go to Lakewood and pass by Movie Star Homes and the American Lake.Puget Sound is minutes away.
Lakewood,Tacoma,Parkland,Steilacom are all connected,no seperation.It is green and pretty here all year round and each area has nicer places and not so nice.
Like my mother always said,if you got money it is nice wherever you live.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:03 AM

105 posts, read 276,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
Hello out there
I am thinking about accepting a job in Lakewood WA but have never been. I am around 30 and am looking for some night life, quaint downtown shopping areas, possibly a college town/hippie feel. Are there any areas within commuting distance that have a reasonable crime rate, housing costs around 250,000, and good transportation. I am somewhat concerned about what I have been reading on some of the posts about the tacoma area and would appreciate any advice.......
One day my friend and I took a visit to Lakewood. Lets see how did he put it? "Depressing and the people that live there think dining at Red Lobster is high end". He kept repeating how depressing it was. I didn't think it was that bad.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:00 AM

5,287 posts, read 10,127,245 times
I work in Lakewood but I would never live here. Look at either Fircrest, University Place, Dupont, Steilacoom, Lacey, or North Tacoma.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:05 PM

32 posts, read 96,659 times
I lived in Lakewood for 35 years before moving to Phoenix for the weather and less expensive housing. Lakewood is good it's just getting older. People aren't caring for their homes like they did years ago. you can tell by the moss on the roofs. There are still pockets of wonderful homes but i prefer the North End. Course the cost is alot more.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 8,440 times
I love where I live. A street right in between the freeway and Gravelly Lake/Nyanza. It is beautiful and the neighbors are all military or retired military. I am not that far from South Tacoma Way but its a risk I am willing to take. As long as you are smart about it nothing bad "should" happen to you. If it does, it was going to happen anyway, anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington