Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 06:00 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,212,663 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I know my thread title is pretty broad and kinda vague, but we'd sure like to get some feedback from those of you in the Olympia area about relocating to a small town where we could commute without worrying constantly about excessive gas usage and time on the road. (Hubby has accepted a position in Oly, and I will be looking for administrative work when we get there.) We both grew up on farms and are now in our early 60s, so a rural atmosphere with retirees who like quieter pursuits than young families do, and some distance from traffic noise would suit us very well.

We'd be looking for a year's lease with excellent credit and references, possibly to turn into a home/land purchase at the end of the year with hubby's VA benefits, if we like the area and the neighborhood. Since it's only the two of us, we don't need "McMansionville" to feel at home and would prefer some acreage to go with the house!

Thanks to all who can provide some suggestions or advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 06:21 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,228,180 times
How about Yelm?
Or for something not quite as rural, consider Centralia, which is a small town with a revitalizing ( and cool) downtown area, not too far from Olympia.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:43 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,909,251 times
Is Elma still there? I lived there for a few years while building the nuclear power plants (or not) and enjoyed the area very much- I then moved to the West Olympia area near the Delphi country club and would go back in a second!

Old 10-03-2008, 09:20 PM

479 posts, read 2,215,320 times
I would suggest Boston Harbor in Olympia or East Olympia. Boston Harbor is really nice, but pretty expensive. East Olympia is pretty close in, but feels sort of rural and is more affordable than Boston Harbor. Tenino is another option and definately the most rural of the places I've mentioned.
City of Tenino WA - Homepage
BOSTON HARBOR, OLYMPIA, WA pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots
Boston Harbor Marina - Olympia, Washington

Old 10-03-2008, 10:11 PM

4,795 posts, read 12,322,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prple View Post
I would suggest Boston Harbor in Olympia or East Olympia. Boston Harbor is really nice, but pretty expensive.
City of Tenino WA - Homepage
BOSTON HARBOR, OLYMPIA, WA pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots
Boston Harbor Marina - Olympia, Washington
Dittos on Boston Harbor. Beautiful quiet place.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:34 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,048,419 times
Elma and Montesano are "still there" and just as lovely and quiet as ever, and a fairly quick drive west from Olympia on the Olympic Peninsula.

The Olympian newspaper could give you an overview in terms of the local rentals and real estate markets and the job market.
Thurston County's Homepage - The Olympian - Olympia, Washington

Old 10-05-2008, 01:05 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,121,732 times
Stoneypher,
If the price of gas and commute times are a factor then I would suggest staying as close to Olympia as possible. My recommendations would be the south side of Tumwater, East Olympia, the South Bay neighborhood, Boston Harbor, or the Steamboat Island area. These are quiet, rural areas, away from traffic, yet close enough to have easy access to shopping, restaurants,and medical care.
Of these areas, Boston Harbor is the most expensive and commonly the most desirable area to live.
The places mentioned by my fellow posters, like Elma, Yelm, and Centralia would probably suit your needs as well. They are between a 20 and 30 minute drive from Olympia. If you don't mind the commute I'd also add the town of McCleary.

Best of luck!

Sandy

Old 10-05-2008, 04:02 PM

479 posts, read 2,215,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post
Stoneypher,
If the price of gas and commute times are a factor then I would suggest staying as close to Olympia as possible. My recommendations would be the south side of Tumwater, East Olympia, the South Bay neighborhood, Boston Harbor, or the Steamboat Island area. These are quiet, rural areas, away from traffic, yet close enough to have easy access to shopping, restaurants,and medical care.
Of these areas, Boston Harbor is the most expensive and commonly the most desirable area to live.
The places mentioned by my fellow posters, like Elma, Yelm, and Centralia would probably suit your needs as well. They are between a 20 and 30 minute drive from Olympia. If you don't mind the commute I'd also add the town of McCleary.

Best of luck!

Sandy
Yes, Steam Boat Island would also be a good place to look.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,512 times
Default What did you find?

Hi Stonecypher5413,

I think it was back in 2008 that you posted your inquiry. We are in about the same situation now but moving from Southern California. I would like to know if you found anything near Olympia that met your needs. Are you still living there and do you have any advice for someone possibly making this move?

Old 10-16-2016, 04:26 PM

14,305 posts, read 11,780,231 times
I live and work in Rochester, which is just outside of Olympia. We have a small farm.

There are lots of nice places to live around Olympia... What are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington