U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:59 PM

11 posts, read 57,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantryfamily View Post
We are also relocating to the ft lewis area and I will need to commute to Seattle area at the same time.
What about NE Olympia, Roy, Bonney Lake, and NE Gig Harbor areas?
We are looking at homes with a little space, with room for family and projects, in a sort of progressive enviroment - maybe access to cultural events, arts, or even more important local or organic type grocery stores or co-ops.
We like woodsy and space, but not so far as to be too remote. Schools for little ones are really important too, and even a "university town atmosphere" would be great.
Any reccomendations would be apprecitated!
If you are planning on commuting to Seattle, you might want to rethink Olympia and Roy cause of the horrible traffic in the mornings and evenings(I commute to Seattle from North Tacoma and that already takes me at least a hour or more). You might want to check out the Fife/Milton/Puyallup areas because there are fairly new developments coming in there and it would make a slight compromise between both of your commutes.

If you want the university type atmosphere you can look into North Tacoma near UPS (the impact is slight). I live fairly close to there (Old Town) and the homes here are beautiful with a lot of character. It has gotten very pricey here though over the last couple years so your decision might be heavily influenced by your budget. If you can afford it, the city of Redondo has close access to the water, plenty of outdoor things to do, and has pretty decent schools. Pretty much anywhere you go in Western Washington is just a short drive(non-rush hour times ) from Seattle so if you need the culture it is available when you want it.

I agree with SoldbySloane about Gig Harbor but the commute over Narrows Bridge during rush hour would be a pain. Hope this information helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 08:23 PM

388 posts, read 1,570,064 times
The commute to and from Bonney Lake would be over an hour most days to Ft Lewis during peak times; 35-45 minutes off peak at best.

Last edited by Yac; 04-24-2007 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: quote from a deleted post removed.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,200 times
Default Yelm

If city life is for you and you don't mind traffic, then Tacoma area would be better, but for ease of commute and cost of housing, you can't beat living south of post. My husband and I live in Yelm, and we love it. It's a pretty small town, but we were able to buy twice the house we could north of post. The community is wonderful, and the commute takes 25 minutes when you takes Roy gate and about 30 when you takes East gate. I would highly recommend Yelm to anyone looking for a place to live around Fort Lewis.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:38 PM

21 posts, read 65,489 times
My recommendation is DuPont if you want a safe community right next to post. There are apartments, condos and single family homes both large and small. Lots of trees, biking/hiking/running trails and parks. Three coffee shops and a handful of restaurants...no grocery store which is a bummer but there is a milkman (Lacey is right down the road and has Costco, Walmart, Target, Safeway etc...a bit further south is Olympia with a brand new Trader Joe's) Loads of Madigan employees, both military and civilian. Best of luck with your move, we've been here almost four years and never want to leave.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,866 times
My husband and I are being relocated to Fort Lewis next year, i want to go ahead and do some research on neighboorhoods, safety etc. What the best and worst??

Old 09-25-2011, 03:03 AM

362 posts, read 854,882 times
Default Check out

Check into University place, Puyallup and Fircrest. Some areas of Lakewood can be rough. If possible the North end of Tacoma are good.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,988 times
No matter what you read....do not live anywhere south of exit 122 on I-5. There are over 150,000 vehicles that drive through the JBLM I-5 corridor (exit 118-122) everyday. JBLM is the third largest employer in WA State and a vast majority of the people who work on JBLM live south, which means what should be a 30 min commute typically turns into a 45 min - 1 hour commute from 3:30 to 6:30. During the peak summer months especially on Friday afternoons the drive can be up to 1.5 hours. If you. I would suggest someplace in UP, or North Tacoma or NE Tacoma. Typically once north of exit 122 traffic flows much better.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:22 PM

18 posts, read 40,350 times
I am not sure I agree about the traffic being so bad. Granted, we moved here from the DC area, and just about anything is better - but it really does not seem that bad to me. I have noticed that Friday afternoons are particularly awful (for this area) but we're still leaning towards Olympia in our housing search.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:44 PM

291 posts, read 830,003 times
Just noticed how old the original post of this is, lol.

Anyways, we are moving to WA in a couple of months. My husband was offered a civilian job at Ft. Lewis once he is out of the Army. My uncle lives in the area and advised me this:

Stay away from Lakewood, Tillicum, Parkland, Spanaway.
Olympia, Puyallup, Sumner, Dupont, Yelm, Lacey all have some nice spots.
Don't move to Lakewood, unless you want to get caught up in gang warefare.
Yelm is a nice place, small town in the middle of the woods.

Is this pretty accurate? We are probably looking for a small home we can rent for $800 or a apartment that allows dogs (we have a German shepherd).

Old 02-10-2012, 01:57 AM

23,800 posts, read 45,463,790 times
I'm not an expert... just a few comments.

Friends that work on base live in Yelm and said the location works well for them because they can avoid a lot of traffic... as with McKenna and Roy.

Also know a couple of military families that live in a very nice sub-division in Lacey on the west side of 5

Traffic on 5 seems to bottleneck going North from DuPont...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington