U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 08:34 PM

689 posts, read 2,605,372 times

Advertisements

Most all of these water issues can be resolved by taking charge of your own personal drinking water supply. The installation and use of a properly packaged Ion exchange and carbon water treatment system will negate nearly all of the contamination issues including radioactive by products.
I can furnish the Name and Phone number to anyone that is intrested in checking it out.

It will not however address the activity of using the river for other purposes, but those can be controlled by not going into the river.
It's not a perfect world out there so sometimes you just have to try to work around the problems.

Silverfox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 04:02 AM

3 posts, read 7,287 times
I scream at the top of my lungs: FALSE

Ok, lets start with the basics here, anybody speaking out against hanfords is a piece of crap leftist who can only go whaa whaa whaa but neve point out any fact as a case study to how Hanford has or will effect the Ecological sytem in Eastern WA.

I grew up in Richland/West Richland. The only damaging thing Hanford has ever done was back when they released Iodine into air in Tri Cities. There is speculation the number of MS cases could be related to this although doubtful.

Using Statistics the only issue Tri Cities has per-se would be MS. There seems to be a rather large number of MS cases per capita there. However there is no proof whatsoever that this is tied to Radiation. Several factors can cause MS within a person.

I'm a staunch believer in Nuclear Energy. You tell me this, do you think more people died from getting beat with a baseball bat or from Cesium poisoning?

Baseball bat my freinds.

If your worried about moving to or even being near a Nuclear town dont let those Hippie Nuke Free towns scare you. They feel more comfortable knowing they live in a place free of the horrors of nuclear exposure. At least until they turn on their tv, cell phone, microwave, self illuminating tritium watch, or when thier smoke detector goes off because of one to many bong hits.

There is Radiation effecting your body on a daily basis. There is a safe amount the body can take before becoming over exposed.

The dirty Hippies put out these rumors in order to try and sway people away from Nuclear Energy, but they fail to realize that Nuclear Energy is one of the Cleanest and Safest forms of Energy production in existence.

With the developement of Waste Recyling Reactors, the waste generated within a year is reused for hundreds of years. Also just another tid bit if waste scares you. The waste produced from a Reactor in a year period is no bigger then a single drawer in your file cabinet.

WPPSS No. 2 is still an Active Reactor at Hanford IIRC. So where you heard that hanford has been closed down again is nothing buty a lie. Hanford isnt closed, they just do not use all the reactors on the reservation anymore. PFP and other sites have been cleaned up as there really is no need for a Plutonium Finishing plant anymore.

Its still a high security area is is far from being closed down. Operations are gearing up for a revamp in 2009 with a increase in production as well as employment by nearly 40-50%

Hanford is far from being "closed down"

Did you know more waste is generated from coal,oil/gas as forms of energy then from Nucelar.

Here are some advantages of bieng nuclear.
Fuel is inexpensive
Energy generation is the most concentrated source
Waste is more compact than any source
Extensive scientific basis for the cycle
Easy to transport as new fuel
No greenhouse or acid rain effects

Another shame in the lies spread by the Hippies are they treat Nuclear Weapons and Nuclear Energy as one in the same when they are two different beast within themselves. Its disgusting that these filthy leftist want to spread these lies just because they have no ability to comprehend and understand the ultimate good it does in the end.

Here is a right up from stanford that I quite enjoyed.

http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/p...clear-faq.html

Old 02-15-2007, 08:26 AM

103 posts, read 442,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Well, I guess it doesn't sound to good when you put it together and realize that the Columbia is one of the most polluted river systems in the US. But, IMO the radiation is not the most urgent concern.
reread that quote, then tell me you can ever be diplomatic about hanford's role in polluting the columbia.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by washinton native View Post
reread that quote, then tell me you can ever be diplomatic about hanford's role in polluting the columbia.
And you completely ignore what I say.

Gooooooo Lefty.. gotta be selective so you dont look stupid right?

Old 02-15-2007, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 24,382 times
i think people know you are right about what you say husky42.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:00 AM

yes, radiation is not of urgent concern. brilliant.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:07 AM

121 posts, read 639,875 times
We get the same garbage over here in Idaho about the Idaho National Laboratory. We're surrounded by left wingnuts from Sun Valley and Jackson Hole who hear the word "nuclear" and go into convulsions. The lack of anything resembling scientific knowledge among these types is nothing short of amazing. They rant and rave constantly about "nuclear accidents" or "proliferation" but never utter anything factual to back up their arguments.

I've worked in the nuclear industry my entire career and can say without a doubt it's the safest environment I've ever seen anywhere. It HAS TO BE that way to ever be accepted as a real energy alternative. I feel far safer in a nuclear plant than in any other industrial setting.

And it seriously pisses me off that this country is actually building so many new COAL fired power plants that will generate massive greenhouse gasses even if they do burn cleaner that their predecessors. But the granola munchers never mention this absurdity do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky42 View Post
I scream at the top of my lungs: FALSE

I'm a staunch believer in Nuclear Energy. You tell me this, do you think more people died from getting beat with a baseball bat or from Cesium poisoning?

If your worried about moving to or even being near a Nuclear town dont let those Hippie Nuke Free towns scare you. They feel more comfortable knowing they live in a place free of the horrors of nuclear exposure. At least until they turn on their tv, cell phone, microwave, self illuminating tritium watch, or when thier smoke detector goes off because of one to many bong hits.

There is Radiation effecting your body on a daily basis. There is a safe amount the body can take before becoming over exposed.

The dirty Hippies put out these rumors in order to try and sway people away from Nuclear Energy, but they fail to realize that Nuclear Energy is one of the Cleanest and Safest forms of Energy production in existence.

With the developement of Waste Recyling Reactors, the waste generated within a year is reused for hundreds of years. Also just another tid bit if waste scares you. The waste produced from a Reactor in a year period is no bigger then a single drawer in your file cabinet.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeDelSol View Post
... I've worked in the nuclear industry my entire career ...
well now, it's obvious you absolutely have zero bias concerning this issue. thanks for weighing in homer.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:13 PM

689 posts, read 2,605,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeDelSol View Post
We get the same garbage over here in Idaho about the Idaho National Laboratory. We're surrounded by left wingnuts from Sun Valley and Jackson Hole who hear the word "nuclear" and go into convulsions. The lack of anything resembling scientific knowledge among these types is nothing short of amazing. They rant and rave constantly about "nuclear accidents" or "proliferation" but never utter anything factual to back up their arguments.

I've worked in the nuclear industry my entire career and can say without a doubt it's the safest environment I've ever seen anywhere. It HAS TO BE that way to ever be accepted as a real energy alternative. I feel far safer in a nuclear plant than in any other industrial setting.

And it seriously pisses me off that this country is actually building so many new COAL fired power plants that will generate massive greenhouse gasses even if they do burn cleaner that their predecessors. But the granola munchers never mention this absurdity do they?
CafeDeSol,

I totally agree.

I really wonder if the citizens of this country will realize in time before we go past the tipping point for Global Warming , that we have got to quit burning things, Gasoline, desiel, natural gas, coal, enthanol, etc. etc. I foresee the day when we will be utilizing nuclear energy to produce power requirements for producing hydrogen to power most all vehicles along with many other things with fuel cells.
I believe it is our only feasable option to bridge the gap until we have another option from technology not yet available. It has also already passed the affordability test compared to what other fuels will cost as more shortages raise there ugly heads. To top that off between the USA, Canada, and Austalia, we could form a Cartell for Uranium instead of continuing to be on the other end of the Oil supply. These three countries have the majority of available mineable U-308 at this time.
My only real concern with nuclear at this time is taking the necessary steps to dispose of the waste. This will be resolved if we finally get on the band wagon.
Look at France and what they have accomplished. 85% of their electricity comes from Nuclear.
We are wasting extremely valuable time with all of this nonsense of Ethenol, coal, natural gas.
I predict the day will come when we will have serious regrets that we did not get with the program sooner while we had the chance.
To many deversions.

What is going on at Hanford currently is a separate issue. The main concern I see at this time is the possible contamination of the Columbia river from the leakage of old containers. That issue remains to be totally resoved in time.
I hope they get it done properly and on schedule but it is still to soon to be certain.

Silverfox

Last edited by silverfox; 02-17-2007 at 11:31 PM..

Old 02-20-2007, 11:16 PM

121 posts, read 639,875 times
That ground leakage is a bad situation. I think the pump and treat program along with vitrification for other waste will be the best solutions. They need to get it done as fast as possible. From reading the 2005 groundwater report it looks like they're making good progress so far:

Quote:
Monitoring for the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) is conducted in 11 groundwater operable units. The purpose of this moni-
toring is to define and track plumes and to monitor the effectiveness of interim remedial
actions. Interim groundwater remediation in the 100 Areas continued with the goal of reducing the amount of chromium (100-K, 100-D, and 100-H) and strontium-90 (100-N) reaching the Columbia River. The objective of two interim remediation systems in the 200 West Area is to prevent the spread of carbon tetrachloride and technetium-99/uranium plumes.
Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) groundwater monitoring continued at 25 waste management areas during FY 2005:
15 under interim or final status detection programs and data indicate that they are not adversely affecting groundwater
8 under interim status groundwater quality assessment programs to assess contamination
2 under final status corrective-action programs
During calendar year 2005, drillers completed 27 new monitoring wells: 17 for RCRA and CERCLA monitoring and 10 for barrier studies, treatability testing, and groundwater investigations. One hundred fifteen unneeded wells were decommissioned (filled with grout).
Vadose zone monitoring, characterization, and remediation continued in FY 2005. Remediation and associated monitoring continued at a soil-vapor extraction system in the 200 West Area, which removes gaseous carbon tetrachloride from the vadose zone. DOE uses geophysical methods to monitor potential movement of contamination beneath former waste sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
CafeDeSol,

What is going on at Hanford currently is a separate issue. The main concern I see at this time is the possible contamination of the Columbia river from the leakage of old containers. That issue remains to be totally resoved in time.
I hope they get it done properly and on schedule but it is still to soon to be certain.

Silverfox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington