Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:10 PM

20 posts, read 145,970 times

Advertisements

Do not rule out Browns Point. I personally would not want to live in Federal Way or Tacoma. Check out an area between the two called Browns Point, located in N.E. Tacoma. We love it here! It feels like a small town in the midst of a big town. There are beaches, parks and a little town centre super close. The crims is super low, i feel safe walking around the neighborhood with my kids. We are a block from Browns Point Elem. On www.greatschools.com it received a 9 out of 10. Before you rule out Tacoma, give this area a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 07:15 PM

20 posts, read 145,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndr64 View Post
I have also heard good things about Browns Point, how is the commute to Ft. Lewis?
It would take you about 30 min. to get to Ft. Lewis...that is without traffic. Not sure how much that could add on. There is a great little port road that can take you right off I-5 at city center in Tacoma. It will take you right up to Browns Point and it never has much traffic on it. I really liked Lacey, but when looking to live there we check out the police website and there are a TON of molesters that live in that area. I'm sure there are some good sections though, it looks like a cute town. Definitely give Browns Point a chance, i guarentee you'll love it. I'm picky on where I live, especially now with kids. This area is one of the best neighborhoods i've ever lived in.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:50 PM

5 posts, read 21,190 times
You should live in the north end. South of 6th Ave all the way to south 15th is a nice area too. Good eats are around, fun things to do, Stadium high school just reopened. I have lived here for a short time and i have adjusted comfortably. The weather could be better but if you are coming from Chicago this is definately not all that bad.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:19 AM

416 posts, read 2,505,319 times
Stay dumb is alright (sorry, the school is my rival). Happens to be a 9 rating as well as Browns Pointe; however, the other schools in Tacoma? 1s 2s and 3s. Have to be extremely careful who your kids hang out with too. Ton's of really bad influence.

I agree with Mandolin, just check the greatschool.com ratings and be extremely careful where you move your kids to.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:52 PM

14 posts, read 86,141 times
The toll's won't last forevor, and there is plenty to keep you on the Harbor's side of the bridge which could enable you to pay fewer tolls.
I am from there and absolutely loved living there. Now I live in the Tri-Cities (Richland, Pasco, Kennewick-I live in South Richland) and many of my friends are trying to move here from the West side as it is the fastest growng place in the Northwest-and beautiful too! Try looking for homes here on Realtor.com and see what you get for the money. You could afford a huge mansion in a private community with how much you want to spend.The schools are also amazing with a gifted program, too. You might seriously want to check this place out. The cost of living is 30% less than the West side and pay is only 3% less on average. It is paradise and I love raising my family here. Just 3 hours to Seattle and 15 mins. to tax free shopping in Oregon. Tons of son, too-hardly any rain at all!
Water parks close by, 3 rivers, tons of recreational fun and very family friendly. They are very big on kids sports here, too.
Just a thought. Otherwise, you will love Gig Harbor, or possibly Steilacoom if you want a similar feel w/out bridge tolls. North Tacoma by U.P.S. is also nice, or down by the water by Stadium High school.
Good luck!

Old 08-16-2007, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 10,072 times
I would agree with The North end of Tacoma. It's the only place down south that gives me that Seattle Ballard-like feeling without the high cost. I live Between Proctor District and Point Defiance. The traffic is very minimal at anytime of the day. Point Defiance is near if I want to walk the beach, go for a 5 mile bike ride or visit the newly renovated zoo. I've lived here for 3 years
and I think it's a gem.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:26 AM

642 posts, read 3,064,917 times
I love that area. Are they still holding the Taste of Tacoma out there? It does have a great feel to it and you are so right it definitely has that Seattle Ballard look to it.

Tacoma is so interesting in that it has some really amazing areas that are a joy to spend time in and live and others, not so much. I have not been there in awhile though and wonder if the neighborhoods and housing in some of the more 'challenging' areas have seen some gentrification. With the high and ever rising housing prices in Seattle and now Portland, I would think Tacoma would offer a lot to anyone that can't or won't break their back for those ever climbing mortgages. Olympia is nice too, but small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTacomaJoe View Post
I would agree with The North end of Tacoma. It's the only place down south that gives me that Seattle Ballard-like feeling without the high cost. I live Between Proctor District and Point Defiance. The traffic is very minimal at anytime of the day. Point Defiance is near if I want to walk the beach, go for a 5 mile bike ride or visit the newly renovated zoo. I've lived here for 3 years
and I think it's a gem.

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 08-18-2007 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: unruly comma

Old 08-19-2007, 01:23 PM

5,459 posts, read 12,193,083 times
Yes N Tacoma (Proctor District/PT Defiance) is nice. I used to live in UP, but I moved closer to the Steilacoom/Dupont/Lacey area recently. Areas in UP are congested and crime is spotty. Area around TCC (Tacoma Community College) seems to be getting worse every year. I work in Lakewood (unfortunately) but I don't have to deal with I-5---can take side streets all the way to work. Shopping is on the way home in Lakewood or UP. Not much infrastructure in Steilacoom---it's more of a retirement community although there are military and families here. On the whole it's much quieter and safer than UP. My boss lives in Gig Harbor and does the bridge commute. He says since the opening of the bridge, the commute is a 'dream. He drives right on through---no back ups---no stops. OF course, he also doesn't come into work until 10am, so I'm not sure how valid his statement is. Fircrest is nice as far as living, but your shopping will probably be done in UP, as much like Steilacoom, there just isn't the infrastructure (commerce)--they are more residential areas than self-contained towns.

Cobolt

Old 08-21-2007, 02:31 PM

307 posts, read 1,417,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Yes N Tacoma (Proctor District/PT Defiance) is nice. I used to live in UP, but I moved closer to the Steilacoom/Dupont/Lacey area recently. Areas in UP are congested and crime is spotty. Area around TCC (Tacoma Community College) seems to be getting worse every year. I work in Lakewood (unfortunately) but I don't have to deal with I-5---can take side streets all the way to work. Shopping is on the way home in Lakewood or UP. Not much infrastructure in Steilacoom---it's more of a retirement community although there are military and families here. On the whole it's much quieter and safer than UP. My boss lives in Gig Harbor and does the bridge commute. He says since the opening of the bridge, the commute is a 'dream. He drives right on through---no back ups---no stops. OF course, he also doesn't come into work until 10am, so I'm not sure how valid his statement is. Fircrest is nice as far as living, but your shopping will probably be done in UP, as much like Steilacoom, there just isn't the infrastructure (commerce)--they are more residential areas than self-contained towns.

Cobolt
Just got back from visiting friends in Gig Harbor and also checked out Steilacoom, UP, Titlow Beach area, Ruston, etc. while we were there. Here are my impressions (being an outsider):
Gig Harbor: great for families, beautiful scenery, more upscale housing, upper-middle class feel, not a bad commute (as long as you're not too far out into county area). we timed it from friend's house in Gig Harbor to Tacoma and it was about 14 mins. without traffic (not bad). Really like that it is not as affected by the soil contamination that is a factorin other south sound areas, especially Ruston.
UP: more shopping opportunities, a bit more crowded than Gig Harbor and seemed more blue collar, housing had a bigger range from stuff that felt "cheap" to nicer areas. liked the areas near water near the golf course etc. b/c they felt more upscale. good deals on housing compared to Gig Harbor and Steilacoom. didn't like that there isn't really a charming and walkable downtown like in Gig Harbor or Steilacoom.
Steilacoom: beautiful, and very Washington feeling, love the park area by the water and the historic downtown, loved the feel of this place, but wasn't sure about the school system situation (friend whose a teacher said they have combined grades cause its so small). train runs through town down by the water and has a loud horn, but didn't think that was a big deal....just something to know about.
Titlow Beach area: nice enough, liked area down by the water, again some concern about it being in Tacoma school district. saw a decent house with water view for under $400,000 so liked that aspect.
Ruston/N Tacoma: ranged from feeling very nice to not so nice depending on where you were. Ate at an adorable sandwich place and liked the bohemian feel of the area. downsides: soil contamination, some streets/areas felt a bit junky, smaller lot sizes, not sure about schools. big upside: proximity to point defiance park and zoo (which are great!).

Old 08-30-2007, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,315 times
I would be very careful about where you live in the South Sound. We moved to a "safe" neighborhood. It is far from safe. Crime is under reported throughout Pierce County. Things are supposedly better than they used to be but even law enforcement will tell you that statistics are skewed. The thing that is wrong about this is it does not allow proper budget decisions. Tacoma gets Federal dollars so many local people feel that things heat up when money is needed. I am inclined to think that money is diverted into other things instead of safety and security. The problem with this plan is...you cannot attract families and professional people with a high crime rate. The comparisons that are made are not good comparisons because a very high level of crime is tolerated and this becomes the standard rather than the exception. I have lived in several large cities. Tacoma and Pierce County is by far the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington