Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,356 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the suburbs outside of Dallas, Texas and was thinking of possibly moving to Port Orchard. I have been there several times when I was visiting friends in Seattle and really enjoyed the area.
I have heard concern for the overall size of the town and that it might not be big enough. I grew up in a town of 2200 in central Texas so Port Orchard would actually be a step up.
My question is... would this be a good town for a 28 year old single mother to make her home?
I am a writer so worry about proper employment is not really of any concern. I'm more worried about the quality of life for my son and myself.
Any opinions about this would be much appreciated. The more blunt, the better.

-C-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 02:34 PM

392 posts, read 1,557,216 times
I think it'd be a pretty good bet. South Kitsap Schools get a bad rap, but Elem and Junior Highs are actually pretty good. South K HS is HUGE, so it seems to be what brings down the reputation. You're close enough to Bremerton, Silverdale, and Gig Harbor that there's plenty to do for both you and your child.
It is a military town in a lot of ways, so there's a pretty high turnover rate; which hurts the sense of community a bit. Not too bad in terms of crime, which is nice.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:03 AM

346 posts, read 968,184 times
I visited Port Orchard for 3 weeks over Christmas this past year, and almost everyone I saw there was OLD. Not that many kids around, at least not in the parts I saw (waterfront, over towards the commercial district).

Old 11-03-2008, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 10,231 times
Default Not a bad place

I currently live in Tacoma,but Years ago I worked in Bremerton,and had many friends from Port Orchard.
Although it has changed from the 80's and 90's,it still has that small town appeal.
What also is nice is that it's close to everywhere.Take the Southworth ferry to Seattle,drive to the scenic olympic mts,or over Hood canal bridge. There is much to see and do. Although I haven't been there in awhile I occasionally will drive through there. there are many wonderful antique shops,restaurants and Coffee shops.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:54 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,368 times
Has been a nice place to raise kids for decades....I grew up there and know alot about this town...lived there over 20+ years...it has plenty of traffic now, due to the population explosion as most places in WA state...but still has that small town feeling...

It does have good schools, I attended there, my children graduated there...only downfall is south kitsap high is the largest population in the state of washington...that tells you the size of the south kitsap county....it was the largest 20 years ago...and still no better...been hearing for yrs and yrs about another new high school but never transpires due to the poor economy and home owners voting NO on the school levies...

Have a good one

Old 04-22-2009, 09:12 AM

576 posts, read 2,260,925 times
Although one of our homes in in Port Angeles, we have spent a lot of time in Port Orchard over the years as my in-laws retired there about 12 or 15 years ago. This also accounts for the prior post observation of "everyone there is old" as there are a fair number of retired people in town, particularly retired people from Seattle which exactly describes my in-laws! Come to think of it, if that poster was 20 years old, he/she might consider me one of those "old people"!

Anyway, I like P. Orchard but... diplomatically... I'm not a 28 year old single mom either. For example, I personally think real estate prices in P. Orchard are very reasonable but... have you looked at the price of buying a home there? IOW, I'm not sure how the cost of home ownership in Dallas compares to Port Orchard.

I assume you'll be needing a job? The job market in the region (just like most everywhere else in the country right now) is slim but will depend of course on your training and qualifications.

My kids were in the Northshore district so I can't help out on that front. In terms of shopping though, it's a little limited in Port Orchard proper so if you need a wider selection, you'd probably drive up to Silverdale, down to Tacoma or for an endless variety take the Bremerton ferry over to Seattle.

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2009, 02:26 PM

218 posts, read 580,244 times
Yes, I'm one of those whom the poster might consider one of the "old ones." We have 30ish friends in Port Orchard. They comment that the ones moving in ARE tending to be those retired professionals with money - cuz they are the age group that has money to spend. Many of the professional or working younger couples just can't afford a $350,000 home. However, our friends love Port Orchard and have plenty of friends their own age. They found a good church. They go fishing, hiking and love the feel of the little city. Good luck to you! Don't worry - we "older ones" don't bite. smile...

Old 12-28-2009, 11:57 PM

7 posts, read 23,122 times
I'm one of the "kids" here in Port Orchard, a 3rd generation resident. In the last 20 years or so, our population has nearly doubled to a notch over 10,000... and yes, most of the people here are retirees or work(ed) in the Shipyard in nearby Bremerton. The high school is in need of expansion, or a new one altogether. It's a relatively quiet town, which is something (yes, even as a teenager) comforting. I'm actually looking to move to Texas after I'm done at the community college in Bremerton, likely in a smaller town than this. Would it be a good fit for a single mother? I'm the son of a single mother and would vote YES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington