Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 04:45 AM

4 posts, read 26,742 times

Advertisements

Hey people while i am at it, since i just moved to Olympia, i am in search of a job. Any good ideas for finding "meanwhile" jobs. mod cut: Or once again use this thread to reminisce about your own job searches and what not.

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-21-2008 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: you can ask for advice but can't solicit on the board. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 09:17 AM

403 posts, read 1,563,762 times
I think you probably should have had a job lined up before getting here. It's a bad time to take the chance. Sorry, but true.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:35 PM

70 posts, read 345,892 times
Good luck. I have a college degree and had trouble finding work in Oly. You might want to go to the mall, possible seasonal/holiday work. That's what I had to do, and I wasn't the only one in that mall with a good degree from a good school.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:23 AM

166 posts, read 490,023 times
If doing an online search, best sites (not much spam, or REAL job postings) I've found to apply for so far are through CL and Washington WorkSource. The state government has a hiring freeze going on, and unfortunately that's not good news for living/working in Oly.

You may have to consider a commute, and accepting a position below your usual expections for at least awhile. The national economy sucks, but not too awful here...there are jobs but without local connects is a harder prospect. If I recall correctly from another post...Russki, you relocated from the StL area (as I recently did) so at least it's a better market here than where you left.

Look at the major employers in the region and check out their websites also. Jobs are available, but depend mostly on your area(s) of experience, training or skill. If all else fails register with the temp agencies, but don't expect a career type of position obviously. Take what you can get for now, and keep applying for what ya want and expect before, during and after. Good luck.

On a side note to the OP-Russki. Hope you had luck finding some pickup hockey or a league to join. If you like to watch the sport though there is a minor league team, the Thunderbirds, who play up in Seattle but will be relocating to Kent in December. I've been a huge NHL fan for many years, and having lived near StL, Philly, and San Jose during the past decade it really sucks to not be able to catch the occasional live game. Nearest NHL from here is Vancouver Canucks.... Yippee.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:32 AM

4 posts, read 30,454 times
Default Off the top of my head, re: work in Oly

Possible source of short-term work:
Olympia is the state capital. The legislature begins session in January. It lasts 2 months or 4 months (alternating years) and sometimes continues on beyond normal schedule (Governor's mandate or whatever). Hiring may be underway to fill various temporary or seasonal jobs that support the legislature (some jobs, of course, are long-term or permanent). The city is busier once the legislature is in session so there may be more hiring among businesses catering to government functions, hospitality, etc. especially in the downtown core.

If you want to volunteer: depending on your degree and interests, you might check out a nonprofit like Climate Solutions.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:53 AM

166 posts, read 490,023 times
Default re: off the top of my head

Thanks Lepa! Don't know if this helps the OP or other previous posters, but certainly does for my situation.

I've been looking at Olympia (from Puyallup) since it's the state capital and my BA degree is PoliSci (minor was Writing), although most of my associated work has dealt with campaign consulting.

Great to know there may be at least some short-term possibilities working for the legislature despite the hiring freeze. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington