Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 03:56 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,336 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how available firewood is around Olympia and the current cost of a cord of cut firewood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 05:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
this year ~$200/cord westside cascades for 'mixed' (usually 1/3 maple, 1/3 fir, 1/3 Alder) not a bad mix, but westside wood is relatively 'soft' (even maple or cherry) and needs to be seasoned (cured) 2 years AFTER cut and split. (usually first yr it lays in the rain, but it really needs to be covered for a year.

Be careful of 'semi-seasoned', as it is sometimes only seasoned on the Semi-truck, while driving out of the forest...

When you hit it with the maul and it squirts you in the eye with retained water, it isn't gonna give much heat.

There should be plenty of wood available in 2 years from the 'blow-down' this year, and a lot of 'green-wood' for sale next season (beware).

Off season prices often drop below $120/cord (remember "cut, split and tightly stacked" to measure a cord._)

This has been a tough heating year, I will have used ~ 6 cords

You can often find 'u-cut' or log loads delivered for $75

Old 11-11-2007, 09:16 AM

5 posts, read 30,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidBlue View Post
Does anyone know how available firewood is around Olympia and the current cost of a cord of cut firewood?
I'd check Yelm, Morton, Chehalis (though that is a bit far), Also, while I have a wood stove, I've gone from cut and split, to a combination of Home brand compressed logs, (like the ones you get in safeway or other grocers) they are supper compressed, made from sawdust/wood fibre. I get mine from Del's farm and feed, i think there is one down there. lb for lb I actually like them better over all. Because of how hard they are compressed, I keep other wood for getting a base going. Think the last cord I looked at in Enumclaw was running 250-275 a cord (4x4x8) The pallets of the compressed were running like 239 a pallet. Depending on if that is your own heat source or not.. figure 6-7 cords of wood.
The compressed burn hotter, and stay around longer. (depending on the wood and aging) I'd put them akin to burning Cedar. The nice thing about them, is low ash, (if you burn them right) And I've left for 24 hours had the stove shut down, and still had a bit of hot coal/ember in it. So was easy to restart with a bit of kindling. (btw if you need kindling, check any of the shake mills for scraps or find some old cedar fence post and fro them off.)
Another option you might want to look into. Planer ends. You will need a spot to keep them dry at, but the wood that they come from is usually kiln dried, and the pieces I've gotten are from 1/2 x 2, to 12x4.

One other option is pellets. There is a rack, Prometheus I think is the name, it lets you burn standard pellets in a regular woodstove. The burn from it is from 2-14 hours. Just load it up and let it go. And yes I have used pellets in my woodstove. Usually as starter. Again Del's brand seems to be the best, dryest and most consistent in moisture and size.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 9,112 times
Well looking on Craigslist firewood seems to run between $150 and $225.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington