Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 01:27 PM

12 posts, read 57,782 times

Advertisements

Hi just a few questions. We are a military family looking moving to Ft Lewis, and we have narrowed down our search to lacey, olympia/Tumwater. We found a great house on the outskirts of Tumwater.
does anyone know about the neighborhood "sunwood lakes". The house seems awesome and the neighbor hood seems quiet. just wondering if anyone out there has any knowledge of the area! Is the traffic on I-5 really as bad as I hear? is tumwater to far to commute to Lewis? How are the schools? thanks in Advance!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 09:59 PM

103 posts, read 783,461 times
A 30 minute drive will get you to fort Lewis.
The fort Lewis main gate is right on I-5 that is what causes so much traffic congestion.Plus I-5 dips down and climbs up between fort Lewis and Lacey which is no fun on black ice in the am.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:56 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,765 times
Pbrking,

Sunwood Lakes is not in Tumwater. It's between East Olympia and Lacey. Neither Tumwater, nor Sunwood Lakes would be a long commute to Ft. Lewis. The Sunwood Lakes community is a bit remote from I-5, which means more traffic through Lacey to get to the Interstate. The town of Tumwater is on either side of I-5, so the commute would be easier. Tumwater has many shopping and restaurant venues, whereas Sunwood Lakes is more remote and will require about a 10-15 minute drive to major conveniences. If you have school aged children, they would have to be bussed to the Yelm schools. You can compare the different school districts with each other here:
Washington State Report Card
The community of Sunwood Lakes features a community pool and clubhouse. Home prices start under $200K, and can go to the high $400K for lake front properties.

Good Luck with your move to Washington.

Sandy

Old 11-15-2008, 04:28 PM

12 posts, read 57,782 times
Wow, thanks for the replys! So is there major conjestion/delays on I-5 between Olympia and Ft Lewis in the morning/evening? I hear all these terrible things about the traffic but what are we really talking about? I am just trying to get in a good school district and be close to Ft. lewis. Dupont is close but, I don't think we can afford anything in there with out sacrificing lot size and so far it seems the dupont area is very "cookie cutter", nice but not really our style. We have heard great things about gig harbor but again, not sure of the traffic??? What to do!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 07:57 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,765 times
Pbrking,

My husband commutes to Ft. Lewis from Olympia every morning. He takes the Dupont gate and it takes him 20 minutes.
Black ice on I-5 is not a common occurrence. I know there are some more people on this forum who commute from Olympia to Ft. Lewis. I hope you'll get some additional feedback on commute times. Driving from Tumwater, you'll likely have to add another 5 minutes to the commute time from Olympia.

Cheers,

Sandy

Old 11-29-2009, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 21,773 times
Pbrking;

Military people often rent one of my furnished homes as temporary housing and report that the commute is not at all a problem from the South Capitol neighborhood in Olympia. As Sandy stated, Tumwater is just another five minutes.

Marilynn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington