Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 14,433 times

Advertisements

I am in discussions with an employer on Whidbey Island and hoping to move up there from Reno, NV by the first of the year. How far is it from Coupeville to Oak Harbor and what are the rental prospects in the area between? The company I hope to be working for is in Oak Harbor but they do work all over the Island and adjoining mainland too.
Also how is the fishing out of the Oak Harbor area? I love to fish and hunt and I'm hoping to find some friends quickly who like to do the same. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 11:09 PM

560 posts, read 845,766 times
Hi Dhenson -

My husband and I will also be relocating to Oak Harbor the first of the year - due to my company. We've been looking more at purchasing originally, but now are starting on rentals since we're not sure what's going to happen with the sale of our home. Barry may have to stay here for a bit longer if it doesn't sell as quickly as we hope. I have some links I got from a friend who's also relocating to OH, but they're at work so I'll have to get them to you later.

We're both from the Pacific Northwest, and camp and fish - although no hunting. If you want, pop me a DM and we can chat more.

Have you been to the island yet? It's beautiful! We made two scouting trips in May and July, and then I've had to go for work a few more times since. Really excited about the move and adventure - just not so much about having to sell our home in this economic climate and time (the holidays with snow on the ground in our neck of the woods!)

Old 11-30-2008, 11:41 PM

Seadreams,

Thanks, Not sure yet when I might be going to the Island. Like I said I'm waiting on a job offer. Now that Thanksgiving is over maybe they will call me back. I love to camp and fish so we should try to stay in touch. My wife will probably not come up til later early spring probably.
Not sure what a DM is? Any help? lol

Doug

Old 12-06-2008, 02:50 PM

35 posts, read 173,425 times
Default Fishing, hunting and Coupeville

Coupeville is about 12 miles from Oak Harbor, 14 miles to the main gate if your job is at NAS Whidbey. If it's at the base, you'll take Libbey Road to West Beach Road and enjoy a no traffic, no lights commute to the gate, without hassling with Oak Harbor.

If you like hunting and fishing...well, I have a bunch of folks you can meet. Coupeville has the Central Whidbey Sportsman's group, with regular events. Lots of upland and waterfowl spots around town. Deer hunting at certain times at nearby Kettles Park. Fishing--I think there are 5 public boat launches around Coupeville. Most folks I know go after work or school and pick up some shrimp, greenling, salmon or crab. You can also get mussels and clams right off the beach. My friends regularly go to Eastern Washington to hunt elk or deer, and they come back with trophies.

For Oak Harbor, public access is way north at Cornet Bay. I think you have to pay to launch at Oak Harbor.

Coupeville would be a good spot if they work all over the island (Central Whidbey). Rents vary depending on what you're looking for. Some of the property managers are on-line. What kind of place were you looking to rent?

Old 12-06-2008, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the info. Will be looking for a 2 BR to rent prefer small house, would like something in the country. I've seen a few places on Craigslist, just kinda jammed up right now waiting on offer. HR lady keeps telling me the owner is gonna call, but he's been out of town for two weeks.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:10 PM

35 posts, read 173,425 times
Default Rentals

Not sure how much is advertised on Craigslist. You could also look at militarybyowner.com They list sales and leases.

The local papers are The Examiner and the Whidbey News-Times. They may have rentals online also. I know individuals and the property managers advertise in those too.

Property managers also often have online listings too you can browse.

Good luck with the job offer and if you need any other help, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington