U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-09-2008, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,246 times
Question NW Washington

I'm sorry if there is a similar question anywhere, but I'm looking to spent at least six months in North western Washington. Starting next June. I'm really hoping to find somewhere boring, isolated, and really small. I was wondering if any one could give me some ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 04:51 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,361,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandamockhairstylist View Post
I'm sorry if there is a similar question anywhere, but I'm looking to spent at least six months in North western Washington. Starting next June. I'm really hoping to find somewhere boring, isolated, and really small. I was wondering if any one could give me some ideas.
Well, if you want isolated, pick Point Roberts. It's a small peninsula sticking out of British Columbia, so in order to leave by land one must pass Customs. I don't know that it's boring, though, because I think there's significant traffic across the border.

Somewhere up in rural Whatcom County might be good. That's the type of place where people tend to mind their own business. As long as you don't tell people you represent the Trilateral Commission or something, you should be okay.

Then there's Lynden, which is like Little Netherlands. I think there are blue laws against some things on Sunday. Perhaps someplace out on Camano Island would also work. Some of the San Juan Islands are fairly remote, and thus good places for people not to bug you.

If you decide on the Olympic Peninsula, don't pick Forks. It got put in some vampire book and thus got discovered. Sekiu might work, I suppose.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:04 PM

3,874 posts, read 10,936,346 times
I think your idea is delightful!

First off, have you checked the stats and locations in depth of many towns from City-Data.com?
http://www.city-data.com/city/Washington3.html
It's usually true that the smaller the population, the farther from resources and flashing lights, and the quieter and calmer the life.

Second, are you aware that from approximately mid-September until early June, northwestern Washington's weather is, usually but not always, thick clouds, mist, drizzle and showers? Described by some as "gray". That would cover half of your time period.

Have fun researching!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,246 times
I have done a little bit of research. Forks was one of the first places I read about and quickly crossed off my list. I'm sure its lovely, but not what I'm looking for. I will definitely look into the places you have suggested.
The weather is one of the reasons I am choosing to spend my time off there. In all honesty I would be more than happy some where it rained like mad every day.

Thanks for the help its truly appreciated.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 PM

17 posts, read 30,782 times
Harstine Island just out of Shelton. Wonderful people and beautiful. Salt water and between 20 and 40 minutes to town.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:02 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,361,537 times
Quote:
I have done a little bit of research. Forks was one of the first places I read about and quickly crossed off my list. I'm sure its lovely, but not what I'm looking for. I will definitely look into the places you have suggested.
The weather is one of the reasons I am choosing to spend my time off there. In all honesty I would be more than happy some where it rained like mad every day.

Thanks for the help its truly appreciated.
Good luck. If it didn't have to be NW Washington, I could help you more, as my knowledge of the south-central and eastern parts is much better. For example, I could point you to an area in Klickitat County where you can hear an occasional cougar scream, where the main inhabitants are a quiet, non-nosey Adventist community and a small environmental commune, and where just about nobody goes unless they have some compelling reason. No store, no gas, no bar, no nothing. It sounds like you just want to be the hell away from people for awhile, a sentiment I can understand, and that place would get you the hell away from nearly all of them except on your own terms.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:27 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,747,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Well, if you want isolated, pick Point Roberts. It's a small peninsula sticking out of British Columbia, so in order to leave by land one must pass Customs. I don't know that it's boring, though, because I think there's significant traffic across the border.
Point Roberts is practically a continuation of surburban Vancouver, BC - you could drive from Point Roberts to downtown Vancouver in 30 minutes. While isolated in context to the rest of mainland USA, its context as attached to Canada's 3rd largest city makes that idea less accurate.

Hey, for boring, isolated and small, why not Concrete?

Old 12-15-2008, 12:55 PM

3,874 posts, read 10,936,346 times
Quote:

I would be more than happy some where it rained like mad every day.
That would be Forks and the rest of the west side of the Olympic Peninsula where the temperate rain forest is, and not other areas of northwestern WA.

And it doesn't "rain like mad" anywhere in WA for more than 10 minutes at a time per month. The east coast of the U.S., the south, and other locations have heavy rain. The almost-daily winter weather in Forks and most of western WA is fog, mist, drizzle and showers -- more from September through June, very little in July and August. Forks and the rain forest just have more of it than elsewhere in WA.

This is a fabulous WA rain resource.
FORKS 1 E, WASHINGTON - Climate Summary
The left side of the page will take you to everywhere else in WA.

Quote:
Forks was one of the first places I read about and quickly crossed off my list. I'm sure it's lovely, but not what I'm looking for.
But you don't say why. What's "not what you're looking for"? Why did you cross it off your list? What did you not like? Or what was missing? If you give us some details, we could zerio in more usefully.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:24 PM

412 posts, read 983,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
very little in July and August (SNIP...)

But you don't say why. What's "not what you're looking for"? Why did you cross it off your list? What did you not like? Or what was missing? If you give us some details, we could zerio in more usefully.
Exactly and if Amanda's 6 months begins in June, half or 2/3 of her time there will be during the summer months when (fortunately!) it doesn't rain as much.

Moreso and in addition to allforcat's "why?", it would also be helpful to know what ammenities you'd like to retain- things like cell phone service or access to an internet provider, shopping (e.g. grocery store within an hour's drive), schools, job opportunities and the likes.

My initial thought was somewhere along the Hood Canal but I suppose there's always Pysht as a fall-back town...

Old 12-27-2008, 01:28 AM

9 posts, read 30,067 times
Pysht would be awesome...or Sekiu...or Lake Quinault (off the beaten path). Forks is very isolated, there are cabins in the middle of freakin no where out here. You can also stay near Lake Ozette, you can't get anymore remote than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington