Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:16 AM

6 posts, read 17,640 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
just found out that our extension to stay in Germany (Army) was deniedSo trying to figure out where I want to go before calling the big people!
My biggest aspect is: buying a home, jobs, things to do. I lived in Texas and was not very happy. I am reading like a mad woman but some advice from people who actually live there would be great!
I would very much appreciate some help with this.....here are my choices:
Well obviously I am considering Washington/Ft. Lewis because I have heard very many positive things.
Also looking at Ft. Carson/Colorado. Anybody been there? Virginia?
We want to buy a house for the first time and I want to get this right.
Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 11:38 AM

951 posts, read 3,698,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutsbeagle93 View Post
Hi everybody,
just found out that our extension to stay in Germany (Army) was deniedSo trying to figure out where I want to go before calling the big people!
My biggest aspect is: buying a home, jobs, things to do. I lived in Texas and was not very happy. I am reading like a mad woman but some advice from people who actually live there would be great!
Well obviously I am considering Washington/Ft. Lewis because I have heard very many positive things.
I lived in that area ( Ft. Lewis ) for 8 years and it is obviously beautiful. If you want to buy a house in the area I would suggest DuPont near Lacy and Ft Lewis.
It is a brand new (just a few years old )development, very very safe neighborhood. I have friends who lives there and one of them is a police officer. He would recommend that to any family with children any day.
My husband was stationed in Colorado springs and he loved it. So you have some good options.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the reply. I would not cry if it was Lewis or Carson.....however....the higher powers above me might not agree. So dreading that call
A lot of people always say it is nice in both places.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:49 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,054,540 times
You said "...buying a house, jobs, things to do."
You also said you weren't happy in Texas.

There's a lot of information missing, which we'd need to try to make actually useful suggestions.
WHY didn't you like where you were in Texas?
WHAT exactly do you want in --
climate
scenery
population density
political leanings
schools (what level)
public transportation
shopping
what kinds of things do you want "to do"
what kinds of jobs are you interested in
what is your budget for a house....
other aspects.

If you could be more specific, we'd have better clues with which to offer ideas.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 6,156 times
Default I live in Fort Lewis

Well depending what you are looking for in a place, because we live on Fort Lewis, I seriously dislike it with a passion. The only main highway to get to and on post is I-5. It rains more than you can imagine. The line to get from one side of post to the next is just ridiculous, but like I said before each person has their own opinion about a place. My husband and I have only been station here two years and thank God we are leaving in February.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:36 PM

See, that is what I mean. So many people have different opinions. I heard positive things. As for the rain...oh not much change from Germany right now it has been raining all the time! Forgive me but I forgot what it is like to be back in the States Highways into post sound so very weird right now. Do you live on or off post?

Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 PM

So I sat here answering allforcats question just to see that for some reason it did not post?
O.K. so will try again.
What did I not like about Texas? The heat, not much to do, not able to be outside much, not enough diversity in every and any way. But that was 1996-2000 so maybe some things changed.
I like being outdoors, mountains or sea work equally fine for me. I enjoy being out with my Cats and Dog (take him almost everywhere), working in the garden, fairs, festivals, little cutesy shops and so on.
As for work, will most likely go to college and be the good little army wife
Transportation, have my own do not mind if there is a good public system that gives me an option.
School...does not apply but something to consider since I am sooner or later forced to renting the house for a while. So a good SD will be in my favor.
House price: not more than $300.000 if that is a good range have been looking.
Shopping: do not need every mall within 5 mls
As for that all said leaves the drama to the end...the political stuff. I am democratically orientated but probably more liberal than most. Live and let live is my motto. So that said I would not fair well in a very conservative environment!
Does this help, allforcats? Hope so if not just hit me over the head!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:15 PM

263 posts, read 1,076,299 times
Quote:
Hi everybody,
Colorado is my favorite inland state, but I have difficulty breathing the thin air up there. It's way too cold in the winters for me as well. Check out weather.com for some average weather and you'll see what i mean. The air is often thin, dry and cold.

I think Tacoma (ft. lewis) is decent and fart better than many, MANY military base locations you could be going to. I'd love to have a defesne job there, but it's a 'heavy equipment' base, so not much IT going on. It's rainy in the winter months, but that helps keep it warmer, so it's not entirely bad. 8 months out of the year is absolutely gorgeous.! I'm telling you the class of people in Washington are far better than most places in this country....they don't have the nasty history the south does, they don't have culture wars the south west has, and they don't have the bitter chill the north east has. Washington is a place you'll feel good about raising your kid in (crime, schoolls, weather, nature, etc).

I've been considering moving to Virginia on and off for the last year, though I've not even been there. I just like Washington State so much that for me I don't even want to visit virginia and see if i do like it...I just can't see how anything is better than washington. ;-) I've been to most parts of the country except virginia to alabama (sort of south eastern US) and while I like New York and Boston, it's just not better (my metrics of course) than Seattle/Wa. As i've been told by numerous people familiar with VA the taxes are very high and the commutes are amongst the worst in the country. It is the 'holy land' for all patriots, though. ;-) My co-worker just got back from there and she says her brother lives in Sterling (some 20 miles outside of DC) and paid over $500k for a 1500sqft house that doens't have a front or backyard. In Tacoma you should be able to find something decent for $250,000.

weather.com, quickfacts.census.gov, city-data.com are some sites you should use to do some research....because only you know what you like.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:29 PM

I want to start of by saying "Thank you" to all those that have replied so far.
I have been sitting here all day reading and my head is spinning. I have been jumping between forums and this is just ridiculous trying to understand it all.
Like I posted before, I have not been back to the States in 8 years, so it is all a bit too much. Just trying to figure out where to live, buying a house or not and all this is way to much for one day
One thing that get's me is Taxes. I am used to German house taxes..do I dare say how much they pay? My neighbors pay $300 a year Yes a year. Taxes here for a normal family home are not like back in the States. So I am trying to figure out if it is wiser to buy since it is a buyers market or to rent. Yup, did not think I will have to do major life decisions when I got out of bed!!! One minute I am peacefully taking a hike with my dog, the next I am outta here.....
Anyway enough of that. I choose WA/CO because they seemed interesting.
Lot's of activities/nature. I think I will scratch VA...their house price is kicking me in the gut! Maybe not so wise. Even their rent is ridiculous and I want to stay within my BAH. I looked at AZ but getting that one will be nearly impossible! The south.....I am sure is very pretty but I was in Atlanta for a week and the humidity killed me.
As for the thin air in CO, I read on a few posts you get used to it fairly fast. I am warned so it will be funny if so. Hmmm, wonder how the cats and the dog will take the thin air? Maybe that will finally tire that crazy, energetic hound of mine out!
If you all have some more advice/ideas......you have my full attention

Old 12-10-2008, 07:17 PM

263 posts, read 1,076,299 times
Quote:
I want to start of by saying "Thank you" to all those that have replied so far.
I have been sitting here all day reading and my head is spinning. I have been jumping between forums and this is just ridiculous trying to understand it all.
Like I posted before, I have not been back to the States in 8 years, so it is all a bit too much. Just trying to figure out where to live, buying a house or not and all this is way to much for one day
One thing that get's me is Taxes. I am used to German house taxes..do I dare say how much they pay? My neighbors pay $300 a year Yes a year. Taxes here for a normal family home are not like back in the States. So I am trying to figure out if it is wiser to buy since it is a buyers market or to rent. Yup, did not think I will have to do major life decisions when I got out of bed!!! One minute I am peacefully taking a hike with my dog, the next I am outta here.....
Anyway enough of that. I choose WA/CO because they seemed interesting.
Lot's of activities/nature. I think I will scratch VA...their house price is kicking me in the gut! Maybe not so wise. Even their rent is ridiculous and I want to stay within my BAH. I looked at AZ but getting that one will be nearly impossible! The south.....I am sure is very pretty but I was in Atlanta for a week and the humidity killed me.
As for the thin air in CO, I read on a few posts you get used to it fairly fast. I am warned so it will be funny if so. Hmmm, wonder how the cats and the dog will take the thin air? Maybe that will finally tire that crazy, energetic hound of mine out!
If you all have some more advice/ideas......you have my full attention

Well, I'm from Arizona and I hate the valley (phoenix area). There are nice places in the state, but those places are not ideal for working adults if you ask me. You'd probably be stuck in Sierra Vista, or Yuma anyways, and both are sad places to raise a family,.

Colorado, to me, is like Washington with no ocean. ;-) Of course it rains less in CO, but snows a lot more. Both are good for outdoors activities. Overall I like both places, but I like livng near the ocean, more temperate weather (day to night difference is quite large in CO), and I like snow only when it's on a post card, so methinks puget sound/washington is the better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington