U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2009, 11:46 AM

19 posts, read 45,810 times
Default Port Angeles or Bellingham

I have a question for those who live in Washington or are familiar with the area. I have been offered jobs in both Port Angeles and Bellingham (both jobs pay the same, so that won't be a factor). I am looking for opinions on each place to help me decide which to go with. The reason I chose both of these places is because I want to be close (within a couple hours) to be a large city but not in a large city. If you had to pick what would it be Bellingham or Pt Angeles?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 01:02 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,335,684 times
Wink In proximity

This is a question you yourself could best answer as either would fit your given criteria, but your experience and life different.

You might get from Port Angeles, WA to Seattle, WA in two hours, although the quickest journey will entail dealing with the ferry from Kingston, WA to Edmonds, WA. Perhaps for shopping and such you'd be willing to more often settle for something closer, such as Silverdale, WA. The thing is neither Port Angles or any of the towns on that side of Puget Sound are as cosmopolitan as Seattle or its neighbors. If this is what you seek, then well and good. Perhaps the greatest advantage Port Angeles enjoys is ready access to Olympic National Park. What a backyard!

I haven't been to Bellingham, WA, but fairly close, and do know that it is a significantly larger and more cosmopolitan place than Port Angeles. With, by the way, probably more ready access via I-5 to Seattle, when you wish. It appears there should be any number of options for living a rural existence relatively nearby, and with readier access to a large town than anything comparable from Port Angeles. You might head east into the Cascade mountains, or even as far west as the San Juan islands. The only real negative I can see are higher real estate costs than you might find on much of the Olympic Peninsula.

Bottom line: How often (and easily) do you wish the enticements of a city, or some semblance thereof?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:06 PM

421 posts, read 1,030,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Bottom line: How often (and easily) do you wish the enticements of a city, or some semblance thereof?
I absolutely agree. We love PA but it has much more of a small town feel than Bellingham. It also feels more "out of the way" in the sense of being more isolated than Bham. Several factors involved such as how often do you travel (e.g need to get to and from SeaTac), what kind of shopping and entertainment do you enjoy, how about your family?

Bham has more "city" ammenities with an easier shot at Seattle (no bridges to cross, no ferries to take; rather shoot straight down I-5). Downside to Bham, more people, more traffic around town (although nothing like Seattle or Tacoma), a little more "weather" (clouds, rain).

PA gets less rain and the average real estate prices are a somewhat lower than Bham but it does feel smaller and a bit more "out there" compared to Bham (because it is!)

If there is a family involved, I'd probably lean towards Bham simply as there is just "more" in the area (shopping, schools, car dealers etc.). It's relects population numbers: about 80,000 people there vs. about 20,000 in PA. If you're looking to "get away" then PA might be more to your liking.

Come check them both out and see what you think!

Old 01-25-2009, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,711 times
Default I would choose Bham

I would go with Bellingham because of the easy access to Seattle and Vancouver, BC. Bham is right on I-5 so it is an easy 1-1.5 hour drive either north or south to enjoy a great city scene. The larger population and college make Bham a lively place with lots options for fun from skiing, drinking at the bar, or playing ultimate Frisbee with the locals.

PA is great place to live if you have a family base in the area or really enjoy chilling in the mountains with tallboy away from the crowds(10+ people) that are to be found in the mountains close to Bham.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:23 PM

805 posts, read 1,164,522 times
I live in Port Angeles, and I would vote for Bellingham. This place is going down the tubes... What job were you offered, because it seems half the locals here are getting laid off. It is definitely remote. We like to go to Seattle every once in a while, but it is a LONG haul and costly, with gas, ferries back and forth, etc. We don't get out of town as much as we'd like because it would be a day or two event. A trip to see a Mariners game starts at 9 am, ends at midnight and costs a family of four $200+, (trip, tics, snacks). plus, we don't even have time to see much of anything else...
I love the Olympic peninsula for it's beauty, but living here is really simple. Our social scene here is NIL, our restaurants are not much to speak of and the housing is outrageous for the wages being offered here. I've searche b-hams housing prices and you could get WAY more over there. We've even thought of relocating there.
GOOD LUCK!!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 PM

I got a job offer at the hospital in PA.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:06 PM

270 posts, read 531,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loren01 View Post
I got a job offer at the hospital in PA.
I think you really need to evaluate what you want as far as work and the ever important, personal life. I don't live in either place, but have been to both. I too am looking to move to that area. I am an RN. I work in critical care. Depending on your field, you may want to choose one area based on that. From what I understand, all major trauma cases are transported to Harborview in Seattle. I think Bellingham and PA both have decent hospitals, but for me, I want to work in the hospital that specializes in critical care. I guess what I am saying is that you really need to do some research. The best way is to make a visit to both areas and both hospitals. The lifestyles appear to be different in both cities. Of course there is also the amount of precipitation to consider as well. PA I believe has less rain. If you are not used to the area's weather, you could be in for a surprise. Think about posting more specific questions that you are concerned about. There are a lot of great resources that answer these posts. The best resource is your own opinion though. Take a trip out to both cities and spend some time there and form your own opinion. Good luck with your quest. Please come back after you have made a decision and pass on your knowledge.

Peace and respect,

wc@h

Old 01-29-2009, 03:54 AM

Thanks to everybody that re-posted. The info helped. Seems like people can say good and bad about both places, just like everyplace there are pro's and con's. I ended up choosing PA, basically due to the fact that its a little bit more remote and out of the way and that sounds very appealing to me at this time. Plus the rain and cloudy weather could get to me coming from MT where it never rains and well...its big sky country. Although anything would be better than the negative 5 degrees with 30 mph winds that MT has had lately. I think the dryer (for WA)/more remote PA would be a good start anyway. One more question for everybody: I'm gonna have some friends come out to PA and help me move and I would like to take them out for a good seafood dinner in return for the help, can anybody recommend a good seafood place in that area that has oysters/salmon etc? Thanks much!!

Old 01-29-2009, 05:47 AM

270 posts, read 531,725 times
Congratulations on your decision. I think you would have been happier in either city, but PA will be a great place for you and your husband. If you don't mind my asking, which hospital and what will you be doing? Like I said, my wife and I plan on moving to WA and that area has interested us as well. Although we were leaning towards Sequim, which is just to the east of PA. I would welcome your feedback on the hospital you have chosen. Should we end up in Sequim, the hospital in PA could be a viable choice for myself. Of course I too plan on visiting the area again to form my own opinion, but some newbie feedback would be welcome!

As far as a good seafood place, I hope some suggestions come in because my wife and I are seafood lovers too!

Good luck and Peace,

wc@h

Old 01-29-2009, 09:03 AM

421 posts, read 1,030,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loren01 View Post
One more question for everybody: I'm gonna have some friends come out to PA and help me move and I would like to take them out for a good seafood dinner in return for the help, can anybody recommend a good seafood place in that area that has oysters/salmon etc? Thanks much!!
OK, welcome to small town life! Fine Dining? Well...

Probably one of the better seafood places in the area is The Three Crabs in Dungeness (Sequim). If you're used to the fare offered at Seattle's 5-star rated seafood restaurants, you may be a little disappointed... but for Clallam county IMO it's a pretty good little place and you can't beat the view!

You can check out their menu here: Sequim Dungeness Seafood Restaurant The Three Crabs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington