U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:07 PM

5 posts, read 7,998 times

Advertisements

hello,
m name is jamie and im 24 and my husband is 26. we are both high school teachers and are relocation to WA and out of Minocqua, small town in northern Wisconsin. The weather is far to cold with teps being -20 for two weeks. some day we want to start a family in a nice small town. here are what we are looking for

- temps from 20-60, love rain
- nice schools for our kids and ourself(remember were high shool teachers)
- anywere south of Port Angleles, no farther east or north then seattle
- smaller town
- outdoor things to do, love hiking
- if possible a logecabbin house in the woods, if not just a house but with a yard.
-shopping ( mall) within an hr drive. and food shopping close

town that cought my eye were
-Forks
-Westport
-Port Angeles
would those towns be what we are looking for? are there any other towns that would be of intrest? please give me all the info that you have!

and also a little side note i have a horse and i would love to bring him with me. is there any places where i could board him at?
thankyou everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 11:01 PM

371 posts, read 1,275,183 times
Ummm... try Olympia. Yeah, Olympia is east of Port Angeles, but a couple of friends I have over there tell me its a nice area.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:49 AM

403 posts, read 1,022,468 times
Olympia, Lacey, Tumwater, Centralia, Chehalis

Old 02-02-2009, 07:05 PM

11,187 posts, read 18,587,988 times
Why would you not go north of Seattle? There are some great places with good schools that direction.

Weather is not appreciably different.

To minimize culture shock, I would target an AG based community, rather than a forest based community.

As teachers, I would focus on a supportive community and school system, the climate and terrain is pretty similar on Western side of Cascades. The communities and schools vary tremendously.

I would make sure the cabin in the woods has LOTS of natural light, and cleared for a good distance away (Much healthier, happier, less moss, mold, mildew, less danger from a wind blown tree crashing through your bedroom + better chance of surviving a forest fire Creating Wildfire-Defensible Zones) while forest fires are rare in western WA, the danger is imminent and probable (largest forest fire in recorded state history, was west side) the next one may be very expensive and deadly. Lots of folks now live in the urban interface (homes in the forest)
http://lewisriver.com/yacolt/burn/

What is your political bent, That may dictate your choice of region.
Are you closer to a hippie or and intellectual?, (not that you can't be both, or neither)
Are you into Micro Brews, or Coffee?
Want a garden?
Want to be close to an airport ?
Do you want to ride in national forest, or meadows, or will you be hauling to the east side for 'dry' riding?
Sea sports or rivers?

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-02-2009 at 07:17 PM..

Old 02-03-2009, 01:18 PM

957 posts, read 268,118 times
I'd say Port Angeles (which is north of Seattle BTW) or Olympia, possibly Vancouver. Port Angeles is a ferry away from Victoria, B.C. Vancouver is close to Portland, with Amtrak access. Olympia is nice and probably the best choice for young folk in general. A log cabin might be tough to find but there are certainly some out there.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:07 PM

thankyou all for your imput!
to respond to janb...
i want to stay as far away from snow as possible, and any farther north of seattle, i would asume, gets snow that sticks on the ground, so that would be my reasong for not going any farther north.

What would be the difference between a AG comunity and a forest comunity? i live in northern WI and thats all we have is trees, so as for as the forests stuff, we are perfectly fine with all the trees and forests.
as for as politics were republican but can go eather way, for example obama :-)

garden is a no, dont have a green thumb :-(

as far as an airport for me close means with in an hour but what ever works!

as far as ridding goes, i would stay close to home. it dosent matter about the rain or the setting. i can ride in forest, meddows anything just aslong as there is not a foot of snow! my consern was just finding a place were i could bord him at that was pretty close to home.

and i guess i was a little unclear when i said anything south of seattle. i would be interested in anything on the far west side, like west of seattle and up to i think its Port Angeles. sry gets a little confusing. lol
thanks again to all! this is helping us out alot

Old 02-03-2009, 11:30 PM

ok well i was looking at the please that we said and the ones that apwal to me the most it eather lacy or tumwater. olympia sounds very nice but i would reather live in a smaller community and go into olympia for any shopping. out of lacy and tumwater, what would you guys say would be the best?

Old 02-04-2009, 01:02 PM

236 posts, read 540,961 times
From your first post Lacey doesn't really sound like what you are looking for, I could be wrong though. Lacey is pretty sprawlish.

I think your best bet would be the Kitsap Peninsula or the Hood Canal area.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:17 PM

4,017 posts, read 8,518,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea2010 View Post

i want to stay as far away from snow as possible, and any farther north of seattle, i would asume, gets snow that sticks on the ground, so that would be my reasong for not going any farther north.
To avoid snow, don't go EAST of Seattle. North is pretty much the same climate as Seattle as long as you stay close to the shore.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:41 PM

what is kitspa and hood canal like? i was looking on line but im not finding out a hole lot. but from what im reading it sounds very nice and what we are looking for. but my only consern is it seems like a very small community. how small is it rly? is there a schools there? in kitspa it all of thoes places towns .. or tourest stops? is hood canal part of kitspa? thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington