Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:50 PM

100 posts, read 306,546 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any bad situations with leased land? What are peoples thoughts about buying on leased land? I am looking into the Shelter Bay area (la conner) or Sandy Point (ferndale). Any thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 08:56 PM

960 posts, read 1,162,321 times
I wouldn't do it, if I owned any non-movable housing on it, unless I could get a really long lease cheap, with no loopholes for the landowner.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:20 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Short answer: I would not do it. Not because I have any problem with the Indians, but because a reservation operates under its own rules, and if you are not an enrolled tribal member you will always be at a disadvantage when it comes to interpreting those rules. Whether it's right or fair is immaterial; it's just the way it is.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
What j_k_k said. Remember that Native American tribes are separate nations. They do not, and do not need to, have any rules that correspond with anything you're familiar with.

If you are not a registered member of the tribe whose reservation the property is on, you will likely be treated as an outsider by the tribe, and rightly so since you are an outsider. Also, all the rules and customs involved in the purchase, ownership, upkeep, use, changes to, and sale of that property may not be made clear to you since members of the tribe do not have to make things clear to each other because they already know their meanings. Communication of all types is different among Native Americans from what it is among outsiders and you would always, and in all ways, be at the disadvantage of not understanding.

Bad idea.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:51 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,780 times
I personally wouldn't do it, but I think the fears of worrying about the tribes changing their rules are unfounded. Most land leases go for very long periods (around here they are 99 years) and are automatically renewed. So the opportunity for rule changing may not come along very often.

I'm sure there are tax implications involved which the tribes would not give up.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:25 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
... the tribes changing their rules ...
I guess I didn't express clearly what I meant. I didn't mention "changing" rules. I mentioned "not understanding" their meanings.

As I said, Native American tribes are nations. I have lived in foreign countries, in their own languages, and I know what it's like to speak with someone, in their native language or in your own native language -- and find out later that your meaning and the other person's meaning, using the same word, was entirely different. Different histories. Different customs. Different perceptions. Different worlds. That's how you could find yourself believing A when they believe Z. Not an easy prospect...

Old 02-11-2009, 08:55 AM

291 posts, read 948,151 times
My inlaws own a house in Shelter Bay. It is a beautiful area. Their house sits on the top of a hill on Klamath Dr. overlooking the marina, the channel, the tulip fields, and Mount Baker. They have a deck on both floors facing towards LaConner and the "Rainbow Bridge". Shelter Bay is a gated community and you feel very safe there. We have spent many summer vacations there and we love the area. Down the hill and through the woods (no not to grandmas house), there is a beach called Martha's Beach. I don't know the history, but it is very cool. The tide goes out very far and all that is left is a mud flat until the tide comes back. I have seen a boat stuck in the edge of the flat. It is great though. When the tide is out, you can gain access to more areas around the rocks that are under water the rest of the time. My wife and I love to go hunting in the tide pools and explore the distant beaches before the tide comes back. Just talking about the area brings back many fond memories.

That being said, I don't know about living there. I know there were big issues when the land contracts came up. The tribe exercised the right to raise the rates and also to tack on extra for "back fees" that were said to have been owed as well. My inlaws had to come up with a very large amount to pay off their share. All of my information should be taken with a grain of salt. I reccomend looking into the details from someone in touch with the real estate there.

If you visit, you may get hooked. It is very beautiful!

wc@h

Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 AM

291 posts, read 948,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
I guess I didn't express clearly what I meant. I didn't mention "changing" rules. I mentioned "not understanding" their meanings.

As I said, Native American tribes are nations. I have lived in foreign countries, in their own languages, and I know what it's like to speak with someone, in their native language or in your own native language -- and find out later that your meaning and the other person's meaning, using the same word, was entirely different. Different histories. Different customs. Different perceptions. Different worlds. That's how you could find yourself believing A when they believe Z. Not an easy prospect...
Hi Cats! You are so right about the difference in meanings. As a nurse I have to deal with some patients from different cultures. We have interpreters available but there are times when you do not have time to arrange for one to come to the patient's room. I have had some interesting conversations with some hispanics who do not speak english and my spanish is very weak.

The native americans in Shelter Bay and Laconner keep to themselves for the most part. This is a shame. The few times that I was able to speak with a family were very rewarding. I love the intonations. The problem is that their land has been developed into very expensive homes and the average working person (this includes everyone in middle class or lower) cannot afford to live in the expensive communities. There is a distinct separation between the classes. Unfortuneately, this includes the working class native americans. I like the secure feeling of Shelter Bay, but I am saddened by the separation of classes. My wife and I do not go to the expensive restaurants very often. We like the "working man's bar" (as my wife calls it) at the end of the street. I believe it is called the Laconner Seafood. You can sit out on the deck or in the bar/restaurant area and enjoy the food and atmosphere. They have an incredible seafood chowder. We like the deck outside. We watch the boats and feed the seagulls (even though there is a sign asking not to ). There are always interesting people to watch. We sat at the bar once and talked to an "old salt" (again my wife's terminology ). He was very interesting to talk to. He had a few fishing tales to share while we drank dark beer and ate shrimp cocktails and oyster shooters.

I have many great memories of the area though. I won't go into the story but we came across an outdoor concert put on by a canadian "indian" (what do you call an indian from Canada, native canadian?). Wayne Lavallee. He was incredible. He had a beautiful enchanting voice and played incredible guitar. His beautiful and loving wife was walking around town telling everyone about the show before it started. Right along the channel, beautiful sunset, beautiful music...it was magical. We bought his cd. There are many happy times that I could recount. Thanks for letting me ramble.

Peace and respect,

wc@h

Old 02-12-2009, 10:13 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West coast at heart View Post
...what do you call an indian from Canada, native canadian?...
Citizens of the United States are not the only Americans.
Canadians are Americans also.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Citizens of the United States are not the only Americans.
Canadians are Americans also.
So are Paraguayans, Costa Ricans and Argentines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington