Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 19,925 times

Advertisements

Here is a quick rundown of my situation. I have just accepted a position w/Customs in Blaine WA. I have to move there and I was wondering if many people commute from Bellingham to Blaine.

I'm a single guy in my mid 20s moving to WA from Montana. I see Bellingham is much bigger and I think that would be a better fit for me as far as size.

I see they are only about 25 miles or so apart so I'm debating to live in Blaine and stick it out or commute daily f/Bellingham.

If anyone can give me any advice I would really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 PM

14 posts, read 54,056 times
i REMEMBER i MOVED TO bLAINE FROM bOULDER, IT IS NOT NICE, HONEST.. GO TO bELLINGHAM, LIVE INTHE QUAINT DOWNTOWN, NEAR THE COLLEGE. i PROMISE YOU WILL LOVE IT..

Old 02-19-2009, 03:46 PM

14 posts, read 108,201 times
Bellingham is definitely a bigger town with a lot more opportunities for someone your age, especially as far as meeting people and nightlife. And since I-5 goes through town straight to the border, the drive doesn't seem that bad (unless it snows, but you are from Montana, so you will be fine).Ferndale could be another option, as it is even closer to Bellingham, though it is also a small town (bigger then Blaine though).Bellingham and Whatcom County also have a lot of great parks and outdoor recreational opportunities.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 19,925 times
Thanks you two, I really appreciate I'm going to take your advice and go w/ BHam and commute to Blaine, thanks again

Old 02-20-2009, 03:43 PM

Glad to help. Thanks for serving the country by protecting our borders.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:46 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,547,003 times
I'm sure you've considered living on the Northern outskirts of Bellingham to make the commute easier, right?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:21 AM

989 posts, read 2,490,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagrizbears View Post
Here is a quick rundown of my situation. I have just accepted a position w/Customs in Blaine WA. I have to move there and I was wondering if many people commute from Bellingham to Blaine.

I'm a single guy in my mid 20s moving to WA from Montana. I see Bellingham is much bigger and I think that would be a better fit for me as far as size.

I see they are only about 25 miles or so apart so I'm debating to live in Blaine and stick it out or commute daily f/Bellingham.

If anyone can give me any advice I would really appreciate it.
I lived in that area for several years. I can tell you right now that in Blaine you will find nothing other than a burger king, a few gas stations and restaurants. However, the best thing about Blaine is that you are just a stone's throw from Vancouver which is a GREAT town, with many cultural opportunities and TONS of chicks.

Bellingham is much larger than Blaine and is a cool college town due to the presence of Western Washington University but still has a small town vibe. For a single guy though Vancouver blows it out of the water.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:38 PM

172 posts, read 1,059,748 times
Thumbs up Bellingham 2 thumbs up...way up!

Bellingham is one of the best cities in all of Washington State. Tons of great food--Mexican, Thai, sushi, pizza, you name it. Very nice people--and lots of 20 and 30 somethings. Fun music venues. Interesting shops. Many bars if/when you're up for it. It's a very laid back, walkable place and most people I know who went to college there are STILL there because they never wanted to leave!

Good luck and have fun there--it's inevitable

Last edited by JupiterFire; 03-05-2009 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: :)

Old 05-13-2009, 05:31 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,691,567 times
Wow I'm amazed at all the poor info here. Blaine/Lynden both offer better home values because most have to commute elseware for work. You will work in Blaine so theres no reason not to have a cheaper home close to work, and travel to Bellingham for your "fun", if there is such a thing here-hint try Canada instead.
If you're set on Bellingham then be my guest, but just thought I'd point out the obvious. No reason to pay 1/3rd more for the same house to drive an extra 1/2 hour every day...

Old 05-28-2009, 10:22 AM

One thing to mention is that you can't just go live in Canada. It is another country after all. You would need to either work there or study there and have a work/student Visa. Since the poster is American and will be working in America, that is not an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington