Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:46 AM

31 posts, read 168,883 times

Advertisements

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP! Really need some input here!

I will first give you my background and my concerns to clarify:

I am a 37 year old man married to the most beautiful woman in the world and the most amazing 3 year old ever (no bias of course) and I live in California and HATE IT with a passion.

I HATE California because people have the worst attitudes here. Driving on the freeway is like being in the indy 500, people are rude, gangs and drugs are HUGE hear in the central valley of California. (Known for Scott Peterson unfortunately)

I am a College Counselor hoping to be a Counselor at Skagit College at Whidbey Island, or at Seattle Comm. College (but live in Bothel) or work at Bellevue college. ALSO, if anyone knows, I am interested in applying at Linn_benton college in Albany, OREGON.

I want a SAFE, QUIET, COOL to COLD (It gets up to 110 degrees in the summer where I live now and it is horrible.), SMALL, FAMILY town.

We are devout Christians and would like church availibility nearby. Also, like every family looking for good schools for my son.

Also need a good gym as we are fitness people.

Thanks for any help!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 03:09 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,059,550 times
Bellevue and Bothell definitely don't fit your description of small town, or quiet. Safe is subjective, I guess.... and I can't think of anywhere in Western WA that is considered "cool to cold".

What do you consider cool to cold? Typically, the temps are anywhere from 40-60, but with the moisture, it feels less "cold" than you might feel in a more dry environment.

The commute from Bothell to Seattle Community College, every day - will be LONG and frustrating...

Old 03-21-2007, 03:21 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,281 times
Rural Oregon might be a good choice. Jenbar is right about the traffic. If you're leaving CA for traffic and moving to Bothel, you're going from the frying pan into the fire.

You might like Whidbey Island or Mt. Vernon- it's out of the Seattle-Tacoma-Everett congestion. Good luck finding your place.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Rural Oregon might be a good choice. Jenbar is right about the traffic. If you're leaving CA for traffic and moving to Bothel, you're going from the frying pan into the fire.

You might like Whidbey Island or Mt. Vernon- it's out of the Seattle-Tacoma-Everett congestion. Good luck finding your place.
Where do you live in WA?

I am hoping to have the opportunity to work in the Mount Vernon area. What are your thoughts on Mount Vernon?

Thanks so much for your input!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:59 PM

139 posts, read 636,241 times
Hate's a pretty strong word for a "devout christian"...

Everybody in WA drives the speed limit, there are no drugs, everyone is friendly and they don't have gangs

Sounds as if you should build a bomb shelter and move there.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:10 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan's Dad View Post

I am hoping to have the opportunity to work in the Mount Vernon area. What are your thoughts on Mount Vernon?
I don't live in Mt. Vernon. It's out of the Seattle sprawl but has some its own- is a growing town. It was voted America's most livable city on a list in the 90s and growth really took off.

I have heard the schools there have problems - but it is scenic place and less crowded up there. Hopefully someone who lives there can chime in with more info.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
I don't live in Mt. Vernon. It's out of the Seattle sprawl but has some its own- is a growing town. It was voted America's most livable city on a list in the 90s and growth really took off.

I have heard the schools there have problems - but it is scenic place and less crowded up there. Hopefully someone who lives there can chime in with more info.
Thanks for the info! Just hoping to get as much input as possible.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyJRT View Post
Hate's a pretty strong word for a "devout christian"...

Everybody in WA drives the speed limit, there are no drugs, everyone is friendly and they don't have gangs

Sounds as if you should build a bomb shelter and move there.
Wow. I used the word hate because I am simply frustrated living in a place that has become extremely overpopulated and have talked to a lot of people who feel "squeezed" and pressured in a densely populated area where we have a lot of problems with gangs, drugs etc.

Your angry, sarcastic response is completely uneccesary. If you didn't have any constructive ideas, why didn't you just move along and not comment at all.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Bellevue and Bothell definitely don't fit your description of small town, or quiet. Safe is subjective, I guess.... and I can't think of anywhere in Western WA that is considered "cool to cold".

What do you consider cool to cold? Typically, the temps are anywhere from 40-60, but with the moisture, it feels less "cold" than you might feel in a more dry environment.

The commute from Bothell to Seattle Community College, every day - will be LONG and frustrating...
Thanks a lot for your input. I LOVE the idea of 40-60 degrees. I used to live in Monterey CA growing up, but it is completely unaffordable now. I spoke to someone today who completely agrred with what you said about the commute.

I may have to look at the Whidbey island and the Mount Vernon areas.

Thanks for any more comments you have.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:25 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,059,550 times
Are you ready for 4 weeks of summer, and months of grey and drizzle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington