U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 03:46 PM

7,371 posts, read 5,972,570 times

Advertisements

You won't find much seclusion in Ocean Shores. It can be very "touristy".

As long as you're not living on the "flats" (flood plain) in Aberdeen/Hoquiam, crime and flooding will be less of a concern. There is a hilly area north of the floodplain - Bel Aire is north of there. Central Park is east of Aberdeen, south of Hwy 12, along the Chehalis Slough.

Lack of jobs, lots of rain (in the winter, summers are great, if short), and crime/drugs/homelessness in Aberdeen/Hoquiam proper help hold down property values. If you don't need jobs, don't mind rain, want to live outside of town, and want great access to nature, that works for you. I'd look anywhere in Grays Harbor County, and also Pacific County.

A negative is that, while there is a hospital in Aberdeen, it doesn't have the greatest reputation - you might have to drive to Olympia for specialty care.

Here's something that might suit you ("Acreage with private location - perfect hide away in the woods"):

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...55074278_zpid/

Walking distance to the beach. Ocean City is between Ocean Shores and Copalis Beach.

Or this (Montesano): https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...55075928_zpid/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 04:53 PM

19 posts, read 14,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
To add to your stress you might want to look into Birch Bay and Blaine up in Whatcom county, sorry, but you mentioned wanting ease into going to BC and those are border towns with slightly depressed real estate markets, but are kinda okay on the drug issue. Let me stress the kinda, like I said, always ask the neighbors but generally speaking WA has higher property crime, though since you will be retired and at home more often that may (again, may) make you less of a target.

The benefits of the area is that you can find cheaper housing, though your neighbors might be weekend neighbors who come down from Canada and you are an easy 30 minute commute down a non crowded freeway to a good sized city. Bellingham has been a retirement destination for many, but the housing market is expensive, since you value seclusion you might find something you like in rural Whatcom county.
Don't be sorry, thank you for the tips. I am checking out every one I'm given, and they have been incredibly helpful. I had searched Bellingham and found it expensive. I didn't search the area by county though, and at your suggestion found one I really like in Maple Falls. I'll research this county further, but I'm not sure there's enough available for us to see that we could have enough to look at and chose from in a short concentrated search period. Google maps tells me it nearly 4 hours from Port Angeles, so we probably couldn't really combine those areas in the same day. I think our visit to Washington will not be more than 3 days since we'll have to get back to our pets.

I'm not terribly concerned about the crime, I'll let hubby worry about that part. He's just retired from a career in law enforcement, so I feel relatively safe in that regard.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
You won't find much seclusion in Ocean Shores. It can be very "touristy".

As long as you're not living on the "flats" (flood plain) in Aberdeen/Hoquiam, crime and flooding will be less of a concern. There is a hilly area north of the floodplain - Bel Aire is north of there. Central Park is east of Aberdeen, south of Hwy 12, along the Chehalis Slough.

Lack of jobs, lots of rain (in the winter, summers are great, if short), and crime/drugs/homelessness in Aberdeen/Hoquiam proper help hold down property values. If you don't need jobs, don't mind rain, want to live outside of town, and want great access to nature, that works for you. I'd look anywhere in Grays Harbor County, and also Pacific County.

A negative is that, while there is a hospital in Aberdeen, it doesn't have the greatest reputation - you might have to drive to Olympia for specialty care.

Here's something that might suit you ("Acreage with private location - perfect hide away in the woods"):

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...55074278_zpid/

Walking distance to the beach. Ocean City is between Ocean Shores and Copalis Beach.

Or this (Montesano): https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...55075928_zpid/
Thanks, good tips, and more specifics. Hospital access/care is important and I've been keeping that in mind. Thanks for the links. I've seen and liked both of them. The first one is perfect except for the carpeting. We'd have to replace the entire house with laminate (ah yes, the joy of pets again). If carpeting can be replaced with laminate and still be in the price range, then I'm OK with that. I'll have to figure that out. Here we have a Lumber Liquidators that has great prices on flooring, but I don't know about that area. The second link you sent is more or less my dream home, all that woodwork is to die for, so much character, but it's not OK with hubby. It was built in 1927 and he wants much newer, doesn't want the related problems. I'm sending a link for one I found in Hoodsport in which I love the setting, the trees, so pretty, and mostly laminate. It's fairly new, definitely like this one. 80 N Suncrest Dr, Hoodsport, WA 98548 - realtor.comĀ®

Old 03-04-2017, 10:47 PM

Okay, here's a secluded ("w/no immediate neighbors"), fairly new ("completely renovated and remodeled") 3bd/2ba house with laminate flooring throughout (no carpets). In Ocean Shores, on the quieter "harbor"-side, but still not far from the Ocean.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...55061294_zpid/

Old 03-05-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Okay, here's a secluded ("w/no immediate neighbors"), fairly new ("completely renovated and remodeled") 3bd/2ba house with laminate flooring throughout (no carpets). In Ocean Shores, on the quieter "harbor"-side, but still not far from the Ocean.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...55061294_zpid/
My husband just loves this one, thinks it's the best I've shown him so far. I would certainly put it on the list to go see, although I personally prefer a more rustic property (with outbuildings) but still newer. The bedrooms must be really tiny in this house when you figure 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths in only 1300 square feet. We are willing to downsize to 1300, but I would look more for 2 bed and 1 1/2 bath at that size. Hubs and I each need our own rooms, and I either need a 3rd bedroom for my craft studio, or even better a heated out building for my craft studio. If we were looking right now today, I would love to see this house. I could probably make the size work (with more downsizing of my craft stuff and other belongings) with so many other positives that this house has. I love the floors, windows, decks in back and more.

I'm still not sure if Ocean Shores can be in our areas to consider. I'm really worried about flooding and flood insurance as another poster made me aware of that. I've read that flood insurance in these areas can be more than mortgage payments. I was advised that to look in Aberdeen I need to look on the hill to avoid mandatory flood insurance. So does that rule out any of these ocean communities then? These are things I need to find out before I pursue my desire to live near the ocean any further.

I also need to figure out the proximity of each of our areas of interest to each other and how realistic it is to cover all those areas in 2 or 3 days. I'm liking Maple WA up by Bellingham now too, but I just don't know. Maybe that's another flood area too?

I'm leaning strongly towards giving up the ocean for the woods and concentrating on Mason County. I've seen properties there with rivers running through the backyard, really gorgeous. But again, don't these rivers flood?

I have a question if anyone knows. It's hard for me to envision the whole landscape (even with the help of google maps). Is there an area where I would literally have the woods in my backyard enough to go actually go hiking from the back door? The properties I've seen in Mason County appear to be that way, but I can't tell how deep the treed areas surrounding the properties actually are. I've seen cabins that are literally in the woods, one in Oil City that I liked, but they are off grid and we're not ready for generators and composting toilets either. I like several that appeared to have backyard woods in Hoquiem, but most were listed as not being able to be lived in as a permanent residence apart from a couple of properties that were too old.

We aren't ready to leave California today or tomorrow, but we are at the point where we need to include or exclude areas by livability and affordability, including flood insurance, fire insurance, regular threat of evacuation, and finally to make contact with an agent soon. I have learned so much from you guys, and appreciate the continuing support.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:53 AM

You need to prioritize what you want. For $200,000 or less, it is going to be very hard to check all of you're boxes. To have more choices: downsize your deal breakers, raise your budget, or start looking outside western Washington.

Note that your budget is forcing you to look in areas that, while they have access to nature, are economically depressed (Forks, Clallam Bay, Gray's Harbor, Hood Canal) and remote from urban amenities. Those areas are much less likely to have larger newer modern houses, for instance. If what you really want is to replicate what you have in California, but on the Washington coast, your chances aren't very good.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
You need to prioritize what you want. For $200,000 or less, it is going to be very hard to check all of you're boxes. To have more choices: downsize your deal breakers, raise your budget, or start looking outside western Washington.

Note that your budget is forcing you to look in areas that, while they have access to nature, are economically depressed (Forks, Clallam Bay, Gray's Harbor, Hood Canal) and remote from urban amenities. Those areas are much less likely to have larger newer modern houses, for instance. If what you really want is to replicate what you have in California, but on the Washington coast, your chances aren't very good.
CrazyDonkey, I hear you, and I believe I have prioritized. I've had to eliminate a lot of what I'd hoped for originally (i.e. the ocean, the rain forest, and access to B.C. and all the while still giving us the seclusion we're after) I've since found a lot of properties in Mason and Jefferson counties that fit the criteria, with regard to square footage and seclusion, and so I gather that's our area of concentration now, since I don't want to give up western Washington altogether. If it means living in a depressed area, I don't really see that as a big problem, we aren't looking for jobs. There are several (manufactured homes) that check our boxes in the Shelton area. such as this one: That's why I've moved our concentration to that area. Is Shelton a bad area for me be looking? Are Mason or Jefferson county, areas I shouldn't even be considering?
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...728_rect/9_zm/

Old 03-05-2017, 01:36 PM

I was going to suggest Shelton, McCleary, and Elma. More likely to find newer "commuter-style" houses closer to Olympia's urban amenities. I suggested Tenino and Yelm earlier.

Maybe look further south, to the Centralia/Chehalis and Longview/Kelso areas. For instance:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...61030899_zpid/

Old 03-05-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I was going to suggest Shelton, McCleary, and Elma. More likely to find newer "commuter-style" houses closer to Olympia's urban amenities. I suggested Tenino and Yelm earlier.

Maybe look further south, to the Centralia/Chehalis and Longview/Kelso areas. For instance:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...61030899_zpid/
Yes, I think these are the areas we will be limited to in order to find seclusion, but I'm actually fine with that compromise, a little disappointed, but still fine. I had not looked further South yet, so I will at your suggestion. Love that house you linked to, especially the 5+ acres, and the house is bigger in sq footage than it looks and very cute. My style. I'll see what else I can find in that area. I don't recall looking at Tenino and Yelm, or even where they are, so I'll check that out.

I also found another in Shelton that is so perfect (or at least appears so from what I can see) for us that I feel I want to hop on a plane now. It's not great looking, but it's move in ready. It's small but it has an out building that would be my craft room, so that's doable. It's chain linked so the dogs couldn't get out to the street, and there is a patio with a cement base and roof that we could simply wrap with wire to keep our cats safe and enclosed. We have this similar enclosed area for our cats in our California home now. In regards to our pets, this is perfection.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...rect/9_zm/4_p/

Old 03-05-2017, 03:45 PM

Note: In the whole state of Washington, only 29 houses are for sale of over 1,500sf and w/keyword of "laminate". Here are some of the few (the first is by far the best):

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...23659100_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...60933111_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...61014038_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...55047449_zpid/ (Is barely within the 100-year floodplain, but is protected by a riverdike.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington