Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:50 PM

11 posts, read 39,287 times

Advertisements

I'm a teacher considering a move to Seattle... but because I like surfing, I was wondering about life on or near the Pacific coast.

How is the weather? Does the area receive more snow or rough storms?

How is the cost of living? Is it cheaper than Seattle or equally expensive because of the attraction of the coastline?

How are school districts in this area?

Are there any specific areas along the cost that would be more enjoyable for young people? I'm almost 25.

Overall, what's the vibe of the Washington coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 07:28 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
First of all, the Pacific Coast is a good three hour drive from Seattle.

The coast itself is cold, rainy, and remote. It doesn’t get much snow and what does fall doesn’t stay long. There are some terrific rain storms, many with winds in the hurricane range.

Although there are a few spots that, because of specific shoreline features, produce some interesting waves at times, there is not much to attract surfers here.

Most of the nicest beaches require a long hike to get into, or are on Indian lands where you are not welcome. The ones with easy access have been touristed to death like Westport and Ocean Shores.

The school districts are laying people off because the enrollment is dropping. Younger people with families are moving away because the area is economically depressed and jobs of any sort are scarce.

The coast is a great place to live if you are retired with a guaranteed income and want a low pressure, easy paced, lifestyle surrounded by nature. But if you are a young person who is just starting a life and a career and wants an exciting hip lifestyle, Seattle would be a better fit.

Come over to the coast and spend your tourist dollars, we can use them. Just don’t come too often or stay too long. And be sure to take your trash and garbage back with you.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:20 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Fat Freddy gave you an excellent, accurate and very detailed explanation of life on the Washington Coast. Excellent!

About his "trash" statement: it's important to know that most of the Olympic Peninsula, where the Washington coastline is, is national parks, vast virgin forests, snow-covered mountains inhabited by herds of elk, many bears, and other first residents, and the planet's largest temperate rain forest, among other sites. Add to that the fact that the entire peninsula is extremely sparsely populated and is most popularly a magical and sem-sacred vacation area, and you begin to see why the poster made that statement.

You might also like to know that the rain forest covers most of the western side of the Olympic Peninsula. The western side is where the Pacific Ocean is. It's a rain forest because it receives some 140 inches of rain and drizzle per year, usually every day of the year. That's 12 FEET of rain.

Schools are scarce, and some of them are on Native American tribal lands.

If you want surfing as a life choice, you really need to investigate southern California and Hawaii. Northern Californis, Oregon and Washington don't have the waves and the water is very cold all year.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:43 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
One thing to note is the huge difference between the Washington coast and the Oregon coast. While I am generally Washington-biased, there is no comparison between coasts. Oregon wins hands down!
It is much more scenic, the towns have more charm, and the beaches are better. I would characterize the WA coast as a "working" coast, with a sizeable fishing and logging industry, while Oregon is more of a "tourist" coast. However, the traffic and costs associated with the OR coast are significantly higher.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:27 AM

292 posts, read 1,447,810 times
There is surfing at La Push, just bring your wetsuit and fortitude! However, there are no real jobs in La Push and it is Quilleute nation land. The economy of coastal WA has already been covered, so I won't rehash it.

And while OR has better sand and mile-for-mile, the most aesthetic shoreline, the areas of La Push, Kalaloch (Ruby Beach!) and Ozette are some of the most ruggedly beautiful places you'll find on this spinning blue rock.

I've known surfers who have moved to this area and taken up sea kayaking as an alternative. It's not as cold and you can get intimate on the water.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:31 AM

292 posts, read 1,447,810 times
Quote:
It's not as cold and you can get intimate on the water.
Uh.. probably should have wrote intimate "with" the water... don't know if that is much of an improvement... I mean if you like watersports... ah, heck, I give up!

Old 03-28-2009, 01:22 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret_squirrel View Post
Uh.. probably should have wrote intimate "with" the water... don't know if that is much of an improvement... I mean if you like watersports... ah, heck, I give up!
Yes, please give up!! Hahahahaha!!!

But you don't want to be intimate with the waters here anyway since they're so cold. No, really. They're really cold. I mean to the touch. Ah, heck, I give up!!

Old 03-28-2009, 12:10 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
If I were a Surfer, and the only alternative for me to ride the waves was to become a Kyaker, I wouldn’t give up, I would move to Southern California - or Australia.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:56 PM

199 posts, read 1,513,163 times
My husband and I are in our early 30's with two small (not yet school aged) children, and we moved to Westport from Seattle a few years ago. There's a small but growing number of people in my age group who are ditching the city life for a simpler existence on the Harbor. For some reason, people who have lived here for too long forget about the positive aspects (like the breathtaking natural beauty and the benefits of living in a small community) of living in the beach cities. I commute a few days a week into Seattle, and work from home the rest of the time.

You can find a decent rental in Westport for under $600 a month, a really nice one for under $1000. If you're looking to buy, in this market, you will find something in many price ranges, and you will pay a lot less than in the City. Besides housing, I have not found a marked difference in cost of living, except that I crave material things a lot less living out here, so I don't spend nearly as much. We do most of our regular grocery shopping at Michael's Meats, Jay's fruit Stand, and The Market Place (a whole foods type market), which are all in Aberdeen. There are also grocery chains like Safeway, Top Foods, and Swansons on the Harbor, and local grocery called The Red Apple in Westport.

The vibe in Westport: there is a small arts community, a small surfing community, a strong fishing community, and church people. Whether you would fit in here depends on what kind of 25 year old you are. If you love the ocean, like surfing, hiking, kayaking, fishing, etc, you will like it out here. (Yes, its cold, but the Westport breaks are the most popular surfing breaks north of California, google the Clean Water Classic and come out to see the crowds in May if you don't believe me). If you want laid back places to have a few drinks and "party" with other people in their 20's and 30's, you'll find that here - but it will be the same people every night. If you like to club hop and the bright lights of the big city, the Washington coast is not for you.

The weather: you can look at the Westport fact page to see the average temps, but its basic NW weather. Gray and drizzly from November through May. Sun breaks from June through October. The occasional streak of hot and sunny weather. The occasional snow storm. In any given day, the weather can change on you from hail to super bright sunshine. I've been in a summer squall in July, and I've sat on the beach in March when it was 60 degrees. It's terribly and wonderfully unpredictable.

That said, we like it, and even though my kids have a few years yet before starting school, I pick Ocosta school district over Seattle School District any day.

If you end up in Seattle, Westport is a 2-1/2 hour drive from downtown with no traffic, and there are often people on craigslist looking for random carpool partners to make to drive for a quick set.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:21 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
bmsea, nicely done. I looked up this old thread out of curiousity, after seeing all those Seattle-area television and newspaper ads for the condominium auction at "The Point" in Westport.

On weather, we were in Long Beach a couple of weekends ago and really enjoyed it, but the wind got kinda tiresome after a while. Is Westport windy, also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington