Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,694 times

Advertisements

My fiance wants to attend Perry Tech in Yakima, however with my family being from the area (Sunnyside, Grandview, Prosser, etc.) I know what it is like and am NOT wanting to live in Yakima, I just don't feel safe there. I hate visiting family in the valley because of all the crime and violence, and from what it sounds like it's only getting worse. My fiance, however, is completely set on Perry, many of my family members, including my dad, have attended this school with great success, it's almost a family tradition by now. We are from Bozeman, a very safe, clean town in Montana and we don't have much experience dealing with gangs or violent crime. Can anyone recommend areas of Yakima to look for apartments or places close enough for a reasonable commute? We are students of course, so we can't afford to buy a home yet or rent in any extremely expensive areas, but we want to live in a place where we don't need a concealed weapons permit and gun by the bed to feel safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 04:24 PM

17,120 posts, read 56,769,693 times
How about somewhere near Zillah? It's not the poshest area and there is some graffiti, but it's not exactly downtown Beruit either.

You could look at apartments up on the north-west part of town, the medical section, but they will cost more. Perry is central to south in the town, so if you wanted to be near town but outside the city limits to the north, which is a better area, you may be further from school than you want to be.

To be blunt, if your fiancee insists on taking you into an area you are not comfortable with, maybe you should split up? Never will be simpler, cheaper, or easier than it is now...

Old 04-03-2009, 06:38 PM

371 posts, read 1,756,502 times
Wrong forum!

Post under WA general! Oh, and valley crime is bad, but not that bad. There are by far worse places to consider, so that may help you have a more + outlook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington