U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-13-2009, 08:54 AM

309 posts, read 673,041 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Tacoma soon, and we like Sattelite TV and my wife has Sattelite radio in her car. One of my thoughts was that when it gets cloudy here (Missouri) the signal gets a bit weaker. During storms it isn't unheard of to lose signal or have one so poor you can't watch it.

Since it rains so frequently, and Seattle is located so far north, I'm interested in hearing about the quality of Sattelite signals there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 08:20 PM

4,201 posts, read 5,358,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
We will be moving to Tacoma soon, and we like Sattelite TV and my wife has Sattelite radio in her car. One of my thoughts was that when it gets cloudy here (Missouri) the signal gets a bit weaker. During storms it isn't unheard of to lose signal or have one so poor you can't watch it.

Since it rains so frequently, and Seattle is located so far north, I'm interested in hearing about the quality of Sattelite signals there.
I have XM satellite radio in my car. Your reception here won't be as good as it is in Missouri for 2 reasons: latitude and tall trees. Because we are farther north here the satellites are lower in the sky which means the signal comes in at a lower angle from the southern sky. Combine that with the fact that we have lots of tall evergreen trees in this area and that causes some disruption in the signal reaching your antenna. You'll still get good reception most of the time but if you are traveling 2 lane roads with tall trees on the southern side, you will have disruption. I haven't noticed rain or clouds having any negative affect.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:38 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,339,536 times
XM in the car works well for me. The signal environment in the Seattle area seems to be pretty good. There are a couple of dead spots on my frequent routes - due to terrain, I guess. Like I-405 northbound at Coal Creek Parkway (exit 10), where XM cuts out for maybe 15 seconds.

I also haven't noticed any particular weather-related issues.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:15 PM

434 posts, read 1,089,364 times
Quote:
One of my thoughts was that when it gets cloudy here (Missouri) the signal gets a bit weaker.
As above, I don't think clouds will be an issue for satellite radio in Tacoma- if it were, we'd have no signal here for about 200+ days a year!

As you already know, it's line of sight from your car antenna to the satellite position. So any solid thing that gets in the way of that path will block signal. I'll loose signal occasionally downtown (Seattle) when the tall buildings "get in the way", under bridges etc.- just like everybody else everywhere else does.

IMO, you'll be just fine in Tacoma.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:42 PM

309 posts, read 673,041 times
What about Sattelite TV though? Signals need to be stronger than audio only signals, no? I see they sell Sattelite TV there at the Best Buys and such.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:52 PM

434 posts, read 1,089,364 times
Quote:
What about Sattelite TV though? Signals need to be stronger than audio only signals, no? I see they sell Sattelite TV there at the Best Buys and such.
Agreed but sorry can't help you with that one as I don't have a TV. Always been more of a bookworm-

FWIW though, the neighbors down the hill from me have a Direct TV dish on their roof and I can see the blue glow from their living room TV running pretty much non-stop so I assume it's not a problem. Perhaps another can chime in on the TV issue specifically for you?

Again, I honestly think it's going to be just fine for you with satellite TV and radio in Tacoma. BTW, welcome to western WA!

Old 04-16-2009, 02:52 PM

Location: SoCal native (Riverside), now in the Seattle area...
102 posts, read 355,370 times
I've been up here almost five years and have had DirecTV the entire time and have NEVER had a problem with reception, even during some heavy, windy rainstorms.. Only once when we had some snow build up on the dish itself was there a problem, but that's about it.. I just went out and brushed it off with my push broom and it was ok..

I don't have satellite radio in my car or home so no idea on that, but believe me, the TV issue isn't a problem at all.. Most of the people we know have satellite too and no issues on their end either..

Old 04-16-2009, 03:28 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,339,536 times
There are lots of TV dishes in our development. All pointing south, in the direction of Mt. Rainier...

Old 04-16-2009, 03:51 PM

271 posts, read 781,388 times
I have Sirius in the car, it cuts out dozens of times a day, the clouds, trees all play a part in that.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:29 AM

403 posts, read 1,031,100 times
We have also had Directv for years and years and never had a problem. I love Directv! lol

I also have XM in the car and haven't had any problems!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington