U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 AM

309 posts, read 674,602 times

Advertisements

How is mushroom hunting in W. Washington? What are some of the better places for it? I love Morels but don't know if they grow there. In the spring and fall here in Missouri you can find Morels regularly if you know where to look. Also are there any truffles? What other sorts of mushrooms are there in the area? (I'm relatively new to it)

Legal mushrooms though, I'm not into eating something and getting high from it. My wife and I are very fond of mushrooms (portabellas, yum!) I'm sure in some of the markets there they have some good finds, but hunting them is part of the fun, right?

Anybody else into this pastime?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 AM

8,342 posts, read 14,910,518 times
I know that morels and chantrelles grow in these parts, but all I've seen growing are oyster mushrooms, and I'm not about to give away my secret spot. but they're not rare at all.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:57 AM

309 posts, read 674,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I know that morels and chantrelles grow in these parts, but all I've seen growing are oyster mushrooms, and I'm not about to give away my secret spot. but they're not rare at all.
Oh, I've seen these, or look a likes, around here too, but didn't know they were edible.

I'm not looking for specific spots, just general ideas. I don't know if walking around with a bag collecting mushrooms is allowed in Defiance Point park, for instance.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:29 PM

806 posts, read 1,240,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
HAH! That's what all the hunters around here say!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:02 AM

13 posts, read 58,147 times
I've been at the Rockport, Wa store and people have brought in hugh bags of morels for the store to sell. They, of course, will not tell you where their picking grounds are.

I have found them just outside of Rockport on the Hwy going toward Darrington on the east side of the road. (Not very far into the woods.) I would look around there and on South Skagit Hwy. I would also look into areas off Hwy 9 - Skagit County. I would also travel logging roads around Concrete. Other areas: Granite Falls, Port Townsend, Port Angeles, Raymond, South Bend, areas that aren't too developed yet. Go to where you can still find forest. And maybe in areas that have previously been clear-cut. If you go into the natl forest, double check to see if it is legal to remove, as I don't know. (??)

You need to go on a nice sunny day after it has rained for a day or two in April & May. You need to venture into the woods - where there are alders, cottonwoods, firs, cedars. You can get into a spot and think there are none there, but they really are. They hide really well. You have to be careful where you walk. Once you have found a few, you will know what to look for. You will often only see their tops peeking up through the brown wet leaves. They blend in really well. They are often at the base of trees and in and around trees, in damp areas under the tree canopy.

*** When you pick them, do not pull them straight out of the ground - pinch them off at the base and cover them back up with leaves. This way you will leave parts of the plant there and protected for future growing. ***

And remember to wear boots.

If all else fails, take a drive to Rockport, WA or the Skagit Valley Food Co-Op in Mount Vernon and buy some.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:31 AM

23 posts, read 56,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralgrl View Post
I've been at the Rockport, Wa store and people have brought in hugh bags of morels for the store to sell. They, of course, will not tell you where their picking grounds are.

If all else fails, take a drive to Rockport, WA or the Skagit Valley Food Co-Op in Mount Vernon and buy some.
The Food Co-Op in Mount Vernon is a great place for them and just a great place to shop in general!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:45 AM

3,282 posts, read 4,387,810 times
Western Washington is prime country for morels, and if you know where to look you will be able to measure your harvest in pounds!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:39 PM

5,601 posts, read 12,690,639 times
You can also find the Japanese pine mushroom or matsutake in western Washington and western Oregon. These are highly sought after in Japan.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:17 PM

19 posts, read 70,834 times
Humm I am moving to Forks Wa. sounds like a great place to hunt mushrooms in the rain forrest.
I am intrested in finding things to do up there for fun out side rain or not.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:41 PM

1 posts, read 23,334 times
Hi there. Forks will be a great place for mushroom hunting. You can expect a lot of rain, but you'll get used to it. There are a lot of different kinds of edible mushrooms in Western Washington. You need to find someone else in the area to go with, and learn all the varieties. I have been picking for several years, and I love going. Most of the time, I usually hike around with a few plastic grocery bags in my pocket in case I find anything. Then if I do, I go back to the car for the buckets.
You need a personal use permit, free in the forest service areas. Most of the private timberlands are free. Lots of rules and regs, but if you can weed thru them, it's worth it.
Morels in the spring also. But most of the 'shrooms around here are fall ones. Lorine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington