Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:31 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
This is an interesting blog for me because I have been in Western WA for 18 yrs, but due to my extreme allergies, I am considering Las Vegas and Phoenix for retirement. I don't mind the heat because I originally am from Calfornia. The problem I am having is that I don't really "get" the desert. Whenever I turn into my lake community, I fall in love all over again with how beautiful it is. I am not sure I could feel that if I move, but if I stay, I am doomed to hiding indoors because my allergies are so severe I have become disabled.
What to do What to do
When I moved here to Gilbert AZ, my alergies were on hold, well it took a year and they are back sneezier than ever. Colorado (major cities on the front range) would be the place for you perhaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 AM

14 posts, read 55,413 times
Allergies are really bad in Az too. I just started getting them this year

Old 05-01-2009, 08:53 AM

33 posts, read 213,126 times
Default It's the same no matter where you live.

Hi Y:

I moved from WI to WA. Have abominable allergy attacks and allergies all year long in WI, except for in the Autumn...it was the only time my allergies didn't bother me. From there, I moved to Seattle, WA, where I had no allergy problems for the first 10 years, but the second 10 were really bad...molds, mildew allergies abounded.

From there, I moved to Southern California (SoCal as it's affectionately known) and no allergy problems until the Santa Ana's started blowing.

Then we moved to Northern CA and thought I loved it, my allergies were back in full bloom.

Then we moved to Walla Walla, WA, and though I have some allergies, they're not as bad as they were in Seattle. So, we've been here for almost 7 years (this April 23), and my allergies are okay and in check with meds. I don't think you can live anywhere and not have allergies after a while. If you are prone to allergies, you'll eventually get them where ever you live. If you keep moving, you'll probably have the most relief.

Good luck to you, where ever you happen to move.

Jet

Old 05-01-2009, 06:42 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,663,953 times
Thanks for all the good advice.
I spent the first 40 yrs of my life in SoCal and never had one problem, but I did have chronic bronchitis from the smog.
Maybe I should take up deep sea diving so I can breath out of a bottle! LOL

Old 05-01-2009, 08:41 PM

69 posts, read 255,116 times
Hi, I have lived in Arizona for 22 years. I have lived in Mesa, Phoenix, Apache Junction, ect.. I just moved here to Bellingham a couple of months ago. All I can say is I am SO GLAD I made the move. I hated where I lived. Too hot in the summer, not even really a winter at all. Horrible neighborhoods, there was never a day that I would not see a cop car out on the roads, I am not exaggerating either. My son's school was horrible. Too much crime. This is like a cake walk compared to living in Phoenix.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trix4u View Post
Hi, I have lived in Arizona for 22 years. I have lived in Mesa, Phoenix, Apache Junction, ect.. I just moved here to Bellingham a couple of months ago. All I can say is I am SO GLAD I made the move. I hated where I lived. Too hot in the summer, not even really a winter at all. Horrible neighborhoods, there was never a day that I would not see a cop car out on the roads, I am not exaggerating either. My son's school was horrible. Too much crime. This is like a cake walk compared to living in Phoenix.
Gotta love the culture too.

Seattle is a nice place to be. There are things that get used to (traffic, taxes on goods, cloudy / drizzly for 6-7 months out of the year, abominable cost of living). But overall it is a nice place. I will not move away from here if I can help it.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:49 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trix4u View Post
Bellingham is the chocolate icing on the cake, it would be the easiest city in Wa to get used to I imagine. I lived there in the 90s. Hard to find a job that supports the housing market, and haggens is expensive, but if your a retired person, its awesome. Schools are supposed to be good here in Gilbert AZ, but Im thinking compared to what? Mesa?

Top summer heat in the Bham is 80 degrees for a day or 2, and mostly in the 70s. I miss walks around lake Padden in the Summer and fall.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:12 PM

69 posts, read 255,116 times
I have only been here for a couple of months but I am loving it so far. I do not miss Phoenix one bit! I would imagine the schools in Gilbert are better then the surrounding areas. I just couldn't wait to get my son out of the school he was going to. Now, he goes to a school over half less then the students at the phoenix school and it is so nice here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington