U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-22-2009, 08:37 AM

7 posts, read 32,888 times
Default Swimming in Washington State

Hi all. Iím thinking seriously of retiring to the State of Washington. Iím looking for a place that will give me access to a lake or body of water that is suitable for distance swimming. I'm open at this point to all towns and cities in the state. Any thoughts? Thanks...Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 09:30 AM

8,197 posts, read 14,284,669 times
Washington State is a big place, and it has a lot of lakes suitable for swimming for distance.
In the Seattle area, some meshugenehs swim year round in wet suits, and there are annual New Years day swims on Lake Washington beaches in Seattle and Renton...Another nice lake is Lake Wilderness in Maple Valley.
In central Washington, Soap Lake is an interesting place. The water has a reputation for it's healing properties, full of minerals and a bouyancy thing so that you float. The water has a silky feel to it, and it's in a much sunnier part of the state than Seattle, and is surrounded by pretty purplish coulees.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:55 PM

948 posts, read 1,679,158 times
Look into Chelan. It's a nice smaller town on the dry side of the Cascades in Central Washington. It gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer. It's the lake you'll be interested in though. Lake Chelan is over 50 miles long and just over a mile wide. Towards the southern end the water is warm in the summer. Up on the far north side though, the lake is fed from glaciers and is barely above freezing even in July. The fishing is great too.

It one of my favorite areas in this state.

Map of Lake Chelan area

Old 05-22-2009, 03:18 PM

4,925 posts, read 6,081,268 times
Where you live for this might also be determined by how much of a "polar bear" you are...

Old 05-22-2009, 10:18 PM

3,973 posts, read 7,076,364 times
My mother, circa 1975...

"When I was a kid we swam in Puget Sound. Yes, it was a little cold, but we LIKED it! Sure, hypothermia would kick in at times, but darn it, we LIKED it! And then, have I told you the story of walking to school in the big snow of '50? Three feet on the ground, below 0 temps, but we LIKED it!"

(The same mother who later insisted on moving to Palm Springs)...such is life.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:24 PM

Ha! Me, circa 1967...

Yeah, it was early June and we had to break the ice off the lake, but so what, we LIKED it! That's the way it's SUPPOSED to be! Sure, after a couple of minutes you'd go blue, but, at least we had some color! Yeah, after a couple of more minutes, you'd have trouble breathing, but it was good for the ol' heart rate! Good, healthy living!
Later, we'd get the long underwear, the woolens, double up on the wet suits and go water skiing--you know, use the ice chunks for jumps--it was fun and built character!

Well, maybe I don't remember quite so well...

Did I ever tell ya about the winter of '68?

Old 05-23-2009, 02:24 PM

1,121 posts, read 2,051,496 times
There are countless places to swim in lakes and the sound for distance, however hypothermia is a big problem. The average time before it sets in is approx 10 minutes. You would need to swim in protective gear at least and be trailed by someone who could fish you out when you get in trouble.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:23 PM

Ok serious answer.
Yukiko11 is right. The state's climate if extremely varied, but there really isn't anywhere I can think of that you'd find any year round swimming without hypothermia being an issue. There are places in the dry, warm east side that aren't really warm enough to swim comfortably until about July. Some lakes in the state are never comfortable enough.
That being said, there are places and ways to do it with proper precautions and gear.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 19,363 times
I think the best place for distance swimming without worrying about motorized boats and all that is Beaver Lake near Sammamish, but Lake Meridian is also pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington