Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,809 times

Advertisements

Dancing girl-
Did you end up making the move? It's several years after your original post. I'm in southern califirnia and wanting to move near Seattle but have all the same questions as you. If so, how are you liking the weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 08:27 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times
Weather out here is dreary 1/5th of the year.

The rest of the year it's either too hot/sunny, breezy cool/sunny, or straight up cold/sunny.

In other words, there are temperature changes so you don't feel like you're living in a desert (Nevada, Arizona, California) or a icy tundra (Alaska, Wyoming) or a persistent muggy condition (Maine).

My only complaint, as a passive asthma sufferer, is the sudden shifts in temperature. It'll be 89 degrees one day and 59 degrees the next. Doesn't happen frequently, but it does, and my body can't stand it even after 2 years of living here.

The failure of builders to put heat pumps standard in homes is also a downer. Getting a furnace makes no sense in the world since it hardly gets so cold to justify the gas or electric expense, especially since you can just start a fire. Yet that's all people build out here, is heating. I can count 2 weeks where it got so cold as to need to turn on heat last year, yet I would say half the year was hot enough where air conditioning or heat pump cooling would have been preferred.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:13 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Weather out here is dreary 1/5th of the year.

The rest of the year it's either too hot/sunny, breezy cool/sunny, or straight up cold/sunny.

In other words, there are temperature changes so you don't feel like you're living in a desert (Nevada, Arizona, California) or a icy tundra (Alaska, Wyoming) or a persistent muggy condition (Maine).

My only complaint, as a passive asthma sufferer, is the sudden shifts in temperature. It'll be 89 degrees one day and 59 degrees the next. Doesn't happen frequently, but it does, and my body can't stand it even after 2 years of living here.

The failure of builders to put heat pumps standard in homes is also a downer. Getting a furnace makes no sense in the world since it hardly gets so cold to justify the gas or electric expense, especially since you can just start a fire. Yet that's all people build out here, is heating. I can count 2 weeks where it got so cold as to need to turn on heat last year, yet I would say half the year was hot enough where air conditioning or heat pump cooling would have been preferred.
Dude, where do you live, LA? You don't need heat?? This thread is about Washington State. And it's 5 years old, too.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:45 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,163 times
A lot of people that live here hate the heat and prefer the colder temperatures. You wouldn't believe how many people on my facebook feed were complaining about how "hot" its been and how they can't wait for the 50 degree temperatures and rain to come back.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:56 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
in March, the same people will start complaining why it's raining and why it's not sunny. People just like to complain about the weather no matter where they live.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:23 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Dude, where do you live, LA? You don't need heat?? This thread is about Washington State.
Let's be clear. Anything between 40-60 degrees does NOT need furnace heat. It needs proper insulation only.

Half the year the temperature fluctuates between 50 and 70 degrees. The inside of my house has not gone below 65 and that's attributed to its insulation. 65-70 degrees windy is the most comfortable.

During the half of the year where it goes up into the 70-90 range (or the few days it exceeds 90), a furnace is sitting useless. Too darn hot.

During the few days it goes below 50, you can start a fire and/or wrap a blanket and/or toss on a jacket and/or turn on a space heater and be just fine. Waste of gas to fire up a furnace over a few days of extreme cold.

On the other hand, a heat pump would provide ideal temperatures no matter what's going on outside. They should be standard, not furnaces. That way, whether you want it hot OR cold, you're covered. Not a situation where your unit sits idle 200 days out of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
And it's 5 years old, too.
As I'm sure you've noticed the rather blurry banner at the bottom of threads informing you to still contribute to threads that would still be useful to newcomers, I'm going to pretend you're just being smarmy.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:09 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,817 times
Quote:
Let's be clear. Anything between 40-60 degrees does NOT need furnace heat. It needs proper insulation only.

Half the year the temperature fluctuates between 50 and 70 degrees. The inside of my house has not gone below 65 and that's attributed to its insulation. 65-70 degrees windy is the most comfortable.

During the half of the year where it goes up into the 70-90 range (or the few days it exceeds 90), a furnace is sitting useless. Too darn hot.

During the few days it goes below 50, you can start a fire and/or wrap a blanket and/or toss on a jacket and/or turn on a space heater and be just fine. Waste of gas to fire up a furnace over a few days of extreme cold.

On the other hand, a heat pump would provide ideal temperatures no matter what's going on outside. They should be standard, not furnaces. That way, whether you want it hot OR cold, you're covered. Not a situation where your unit sits idle 200 days out of the year.

As I'm sure you've noticed the rather blurry banner at the bottom of threads informing you to still contribute to threads that would still be useful to newcomers, I'm going to pretend you're just being smarmy.
That is absolutely untrue. Especially when temperatures are in the 40's or 50's- even a house with the best insulation will gradually cool down enough to need heat. After all, you need some kind of heat source to create continual heat for that insulation to keep inside the home! We like to keep our home cooler than most, keeping it about 63 degrees during the winter- and we have excellent insulation but our furnace still runs daily for the entire cool weather season- more than half of the year. I don't think anyone's furnace sits idle for 200 days out of the year!

Old 09-18-2014, 10:21 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
A lot of people that live here hate the heat and prefer the colder temperatures. You wouldn't believe how many people on my facebook feed were complaining about how "hot" its been and how they can't wait for the 50 degree temperatures and rain to come back.
I didn't enjoy the heat of Seattle summers. But I wouldn't pray for rain, or 50 degrees, either. There IS a happy medium, people! Spring was usually pretty nice, IME.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:56 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:

I agree with you to some extent.

I was just a little puzzled by the comment that heat pumps should be "standard". Who's standard? All building codes in this state allow for a choice of multiple different heating modalities. In general, furnaces have existed a lot longer than heat pumps have. So older homes aren't likely to be upgraded to a heat pump unless the homeowner is remodeling.

Just because your opinion is that heat pumps are the bee's knees, that doesn't mean everyone agrees. And that definitely doesn't mean that we need more bureaucracy dictating how we heat our homes.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:47 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Telling people Seattle is dreary 1/5th of the year is not useful, it's an outright lie or you don't know what dreary means.

How Many Sunny Days Do We Get Each Year? | News Archive | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

226 cloudy days
155 days of rain
58 sunny days A YEAR.

Most normal people consider no sun to be dreary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington