Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 09:51 AM

6 posts, read 96,847 times

Advertisements

My husband will be putting in for a transfer for Portland soon. He works for a Hugh freight company (not Brown.) Anyway, we like the houses in Vancouver, Camas and Washougal and was wondering if he worked in Oregon, and we live in Washington, do they still withhold state tax from his Payroll? Is there anyone else that can shed some light? Maybe you are in the same situation. Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2006, 11:03 AM

331 posts, read 2,109,650 times
No they don't with hold state taxes from your paycheck in WA State. But since his paycheck will be coming from Oregon they may. I am not sure of Oregon State Taxes.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:36 PM

291 posts, read 710,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor girl
...if he worked in Oregon, and we live in Washington, do they still withhold state tax from his Payroll?
Yes, income earned in OR is taxed by OR.
However, any other income (interest, dividends, capital gains) wouldn't be taxed by OR, and isn't taxable in WA.
See https://secure.dor.state.or.us/piti/index.cfm (broken link)

Old 07-07-2006, 01:14 PM

18 posts, read 180,839 times
Default Oregon-The Best or the Worst of all worlds

Hi,

I looked at Oregon to move but the state tax make is a place not to live.

Oregon's tax is 9% over $5,000.00 of income. A horrible tax rate applied to income earners of all income levels. Oregon has higher real estate taxes but has no Sales Tax. Washington has a high sales tax and no income tax. Buy everything in Oregon but you must buy your car in washington and pay a very high tax. Get a big pay raise to work in Oregon.

My data is two years old so maybe there has been a change, but I doubt it.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:56 PM

6 posts, read 96,847 times
Thanks for all the info. All is appreciated...

Old 07-08-2006, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 9,647 times
Default Some tax info

I live in Vancouver and work in Gresham, east of Portland. Yes, they withhold Oregon tax from my check at the rate of about 9.5%. However, there is no sales tax in Oregon so if you are a shopper, that's the advantage. Also, I purchased a hybrid car in Oregon and was required to register and pay sales tax in Washington but was NOT allowed to receive a hybrid certificate and rebate from the State of Oregon, even though I pay full income tax to Oregon. Not a good deal. Property tax rates are lower in Washington --- another advantage --- but property costs are catching up with Portland. To make the system work well you need to live and work in Washington.

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2006, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 10,951 times
Yes, income earned in Oregon is subject to Oregon income tax no matter where you live. And no, if living in Washington, you will have no say as to how that money is spent. However, I have lived this situation for a long time and find it quite acceptable. Housing is cheaper and property taxes are not as high on the Washington side of the Columbia and most major purchases can be made in Oregon if one chooses to get around the sales tax issue although the State of Washington and Clark County bussiness owners don't appreciate that. Cars are an exception as no matter where you buy them you must pay a tax to register them in Washington. To me, the atmosphere is totally different and better north of the river.
You didn't mention children. If schools are a factor and you do your research, I think you will find that the systems in the Vancouver, Camas and Washougal will be hard to beat, although I give the edge to Vancouver.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:20 PM

9 posts, read 53,585 times
Lots of people are moving from Oregon to WA. Makes sense from a tax standpoint, but the commute is sometimes bad. If your husband works on the east side of PDX he can take the 205, which is an ez commute. I5 is
different. Taxes must be paid on income earned in Oregon. End of story.
Advantages are great. Property taxes are less, schools are significantly superior, More rural/urban than Oregon, Lots of Calif transplants, etc
MOD CUT

Last edited by Yac; 07-24-2006 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-24-2006, 01:27 PM

424 posts, read 2,697,053 times
Default Taxes in CA and WA

I'm jealous reading about your taxes. I live in NoCA and we get to pay income tax of about 9.9%, property tax, and sales tax of about 7.75%. Our real estate tax is lower than OR or WA but the property values in most places are so inflated, you pay more anyway.

But, I actually wrote because in CA you pay sales taxes on automobiles based on your residence. It used to be based on where you purchased the vehicle, but there was a lawsuit because, of course, people would go to the cheapest county (in CA like WA the taxes are different for various counties) to buy a car. This was hurting dealers that were in high tax counties, so the tax was changed to be assessed on the county of residence. This may be the same for WA.

Hope you are cooler up there, it's 110 here right now (Sacramento) and was 84 when I got up at 5:30 am .

Old 07-24-2006, 05:39 PM

291 posts, read 710,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidBlue
But, I actually wrote because in CA you pay sales taxes on automobiles based on your residence... This may be the same for WA.
Yes, vehicle use (sales) tax does vary across the state, and is paid based on the owner's address, not on the point of sale. Rates range from 7.5% (in a few rural eastern counties) to 8.9% (Seattle).
For a table, see the state revenue web site:
http://dor.wa.gov/content/forms/forms_sale.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington