Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:32 PM

69 posts, read 255,210 times

Advertisements

May be moving to Lynden with my family, we have two young children. Anyone who has lived there, can you give me some insight? Schools, crime? Good place to raise kids? Thanks ☺
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 12:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
do a search, There are several threads on this issue.

Basically, yes, good spot if you are not offended by a caring community, tho potentially a bit 'ingrown'.
Many folks of a 'liberal bent' are not keen on Lyden's conservative crowd, but there is plenty of space for the liberal bias in the 99.98% of remaining We_t Side WA land mass + the 'majority rule' political leanings. You can bet Lynden is not highly represented in the passage of statewide legislation. The politics of today don't even justify advertising campaigns outside of metro populations, as the rural vote does not matter. (the lack of ads can be a good thing).

Schools are great + some good choices of private schools, I had a friend move 300 miles to Lynden from another WA location, just for the HS experience of 2 of their 4 kids (After 2 previous disasters). The family did well, and the parents moved back to 'meth-ville' after the younger kids were off to college.

I just had this discussion with my recent WWU grad today. He really misses the area, and the great food, dairy products, (Ice Cream) and people of Lynden, even tho they didn't share political similarities.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:13 AM

70 posts, read 119,974 times
I was there several times back in the eighties. Nice area. I have no idea what it's like these days.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:44 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
Lynden is pretty Dutch in many respects. If you think you'd like living in a more religious Netherlands, it might appeal to you. If you want to fit in, add 'Van' before your last name. (Although if your last name is Shaughnessy or Suzuki or Moscowitz, this will probably backfire.)

Old 07-04-2009, 10:57 AM

69 posts, read 255,210 times
Thanks everyone ☺

Old 09-17-2009, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 25,521 times
Hi! I've lived in Lynden almost 22 years and I will tell you, LYNDEN IS A WONDERFUL PLACE TO LIVE!! We raised our 4 kids here and they all attended the Lynden public schools, (really good schools), there are many Churches here, (we go to North County Christ the King and would like to invite you and your family to visit us!!), and it makes for a close, caring and great community! There are great trails for walking and parks for the kids. It is a wonderful, safe, and friendly community to raise your family in. Hope your move goes well!
WELCOME!!
Betsy

Old 10-02-2009, 10:14 PM

3 posts, read 18,321 times
I live in Bellingham and every time I drive through Lynden I wished I lived there. It is a great place for a family, I haven't heard of crime there at all. I was just there for the county fair the other month.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:55 PM

6 posts, read 34,282 times
Like you, I moved to Lynden, WA recently from MN. Having been here now 15 months, I am 1000% happy. Lynden is beautiful. The people are very kind and friendly. I was nervous about this move and even posted on this forum prior to selecting this particular community. What I found in Lynden is that it is home to anyone who wants to live in a small town in a beautiful area of mountains and grape/raspberry/blueberry fields. Everyone has a dog; everyone walks their dogs along the many, many walking trails. I wish our MN-bred schnoodle was as well behaved as these Lynden ones.

Is Lynden overly religious? I have to weigh in with a 'no' as I would define 'overly religious' as someone who is zealous in their faith demonstration or in their evangelism. We know that we are surrounded by, for the most part, reform church christians but coming from MN where evangelicals and baptists reign, I have to say that the Lynden Christian practices their beliefs in their home and in their church. There are also a bit of British Columbians living in Lynden as this town in but 4-6 miles from the border. Many BCn's bought here when the US dollar was down. I live in a new housing neighborhood of about 10 homes and four of them are peopled with BCn's.

If you are already here in Lynden, have you been visited yet by the Lynden welcome wagon? This is WAY cool. A local woman dresses in traditional dutch clothing (that lace hat thing included) and delivers a large treat basket (worth it). She also answers any questions you have on the area. When she was here, we tagged her with walking trails, hiking routes, the best ocean views, etc. You get Bread from the Lynden Dutch bakery, cheese, etc. and a lot of coupons for free food and treats locally. No sales junk either. Just a business community 'welcome to Lynden - here's what we sell'.

Once in a while I do put a 'Van' in front of our last night - the locals laugh along with you on that. Most are Dutch, but not all.

Email me if you have any specific questions. I'm glad to help a new Lyndenite.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:08 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,136 times
Think Stepford Wives. Ask these folks what happens if you don't cut your grass

If you are a fine upstanding Dutch Reform Christian you'll love it. If you're liberal don't bother.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:18 PM

79 posts, read 275,740 times
Lynden is VERY conservative and VERY religous but it's also a beautiful little town. The streets are lined with beautiful deciduous trees whose leaves change colors in fall, unusual around here. It is also surrounded by farms so sometimes the smell of manure gets pretty heavy in the air....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington