Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,110 times

Advertisements

For anyone who decides to move here to Yakima for any reason, I suggest you reconsider the move. I have lived in Yakima since I was born except for 6 months out of my life and those 6 months were wonderful if you are going by town standards. Yakima was once a town that made since to me and now it seems very chaotic at best. I work at Yakima Regional Hospital and I have seen a fair share of the crimes that happen here in Yakima. Also, it doesn't matter if you can speak English and a wide variety of other languages, your skills won't do you any good here in Yakima, only if one of your languages is Spanish that you're bilingual skills can get you work. This city has a jail built right next to if not on the Central Washington State Fair Grounds, and that isn't Yakima's only jail. The illegal immigrant problem does affect the people that are born here in a big way as well as the amount of gangs and gang like activity here. I'm considered a majority, but in Yakima the minorities get the benefit of living here. I grew up on the Eastside of Yakima and I have tried to move as far as possible from there ever since I was 18. My neighbor received a bullet through her home and my son and brother were shot at. I want to move out of Yakima for the sake of my childrens life and education and to be able to find jobs that are willing to pay money in other fields of work that isn't in nursing, agriculture or education. If you like ordering stuff online or like to go for long drives to go shopping or experience something like a water park, zoo, aquarium or a really big mall and like hearing of something crime related that is always happening, Yakima is the place to be!

Last edited by Yakimaniac1976; 08-02-2010 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:42 AM

13 posts, read 39,037 times
I don't live in Yakima, but my father-in-law does, and we live about two hours north. I think the areas that surround Yakima are beautiful. On a clear day you can see Rainier and Adams. However, I do agree with most of the posts here. Crime is bad, and unfortunately has become what Yakima is known for. My husband is a police officer, and I guess when it comes to crime in other parts of WA, the saying is "well, at least we're not Yakima." I've heard of stories of a shooting once a day. Now, my impression is most of the crime is with the gangs, and most of the time it doesn't affect the rest of the population. I could be wrong. I've heard there are some nice places of the city. My father-in-law has a nice place and hasn't had any problems.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,985 times
Pros: None to speak of really. I think Seattle, Spokane, and Tri-cities beats this shi*hole in every category. Crime is awful. It's not just gang on gang. There's plenty of petty theft and burglary that affects the town in general. I've been a victim of theft here more often than anywhere else I have lived.

I don't really see the people as being all that great either. Narrow minded and uneducated for the most part. If you're a professional moving in from a larger city, you're not going to find intellectually stimulating company around here. If you're single, it's slim pickings around here too (I have heard this from others, I wouldn't have moved here if I wasn't married to begin with) For any minority reading this thread, don't think that people's negative comments are that of disgruntled white people. As a minority living here, I'd concur that Yakima is dangerous. There's racism as well that one deals with from both the whites and latinos.

Okay, it's true that the commutes are reasonable, but the salaries are considerably lower than the west side.

The weather? People often mention that as one of Yakima's positives. True that there are more sunny days than Seattle. It gets fairly cold in the winter and is uncomfortably hot during the summer, leaving about 4 months of ideal weather.

There are some outdoor activities, but most of those require at least a 20-30 minute drive. That's about the same as the Westside in my estimation.

Yakima has no public social space either. There aren't really a lot of organized festivals, street fairs, interest based social clubs, or outdoor pursuits programs to join up and meet other people. If you're not already connected in, it's difficult to make a go of it here. there are things in Yakima, but invariably they're usually quite expensive. Plan on ordering a netflix subscription.

If you're thinking of moving here, think again. This really has got to be the worst place I have ever lived. Really, think of any place other than here (with the exception of Moses Lake or Sunnyside) and the positives become quite apparent. If you thought you had it bad wherever you came from, just spend a few months here, and you'll quickly note the positive attributes of wherever you came from and remain there.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:56 PM

11 posts, read 73,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It's really, really bad. Some of the worst in the whole state in fact. The overwhelming majority of it is gang related.

You can find the crime stats here:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Yakima-Washington.html

U.S. average crime rate is 325.2. Yakima's in 2005 was 668.1!
Everett WA had 680 I think in 06. Tacoma's is the worst though.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:05 PM

11 posts, read 73,048 times
If you actually look at statistics, Yakima is a violent city and has quite a few murders but it really is not as bad as some other areas in washington. Lakewood, Everett, and Tacoma are all bad if you check the City-Data.com Statistics for crime. At its worst in 1999 Yakima had an index of 651. Tacoma Had an 822 in the year 2000! Lakewood had a 651 in 1999. Everett had a 680 in 2006....so that is pretty self explanatory.

Bottom line: Yakima is not as bad as it is made out to be.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,545 times
Questin for some; where is Maverik Country store located? Is it in the middle of all this Crime everyone is talking about, or is it in the decent part of town? Would it be a place to raise a six, three and five month old?

Old 03-07-2011, 04:16 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Maverick is a new-ish to the area line of convenience stores, so they are located in various parts of town.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,464 times
You know its funny reading these comments, one comment will say I've lived here all my life its horrible here and then the next comment will say oh we've been here for a year and these people haven't been here in awhile they don't know what they are talking about. My husband and I are looking in the area and I'm sorry to say that we wont be looking into Yakima. It would appear that all the people with positive feedback are the ones who live in the west valley, ones with more money in their pockets. I'm not really into having to sell my soul for enough money to live in the area that makes Yakima look like it has sunshine coming out of its.... Well I think you get the idea. So Yakima is a no no and negative.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:08 PM

232 posts, read 804,752 times
Not sure what your budget is, but West Valley is still way more affordable than many regions of the country, and wayyyy more affordable than Seattle. Saying you have to sell your soul to live in West Valley, paints it in an unfair light, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exis of Millcreek View Post
You know its funny reading these comments, one comment will say I've lived here all my life its horrible here and then the next comment will say oh we've been here for a year and these people haven't been here in awhile they don't know what they are talking about. My husband and I are looking in the area and I'm sorry to say that we wont be looking into Yakima. It would appear that all the people with positive feedback are the ones who live in the west valley, ones with more money in their pockets. I'm not really into having to sell my soul for enough money to live in the area that makes Yakima look like it has sunshine coming out of its.... Well I think you get the idea. So Yakima is a no no and negative.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 PM

4 posts, read 11,570 times
I live in Yakima and mostly have to say I do not like it. Then again I only say that because I have lived here all my life and find it boring. There are some problems with gangs and immigrants, and it's kinda hard to get around without knowing spanish since mexicans are the majority. Other than that the areas that are nice to live in are the West Valley area and other areas west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington