Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:26 PM

10 posts, read 66,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimaresident View Post
...El Mirador suck's but if you want the best mexican food try Antojito's on W. Lincoln Ave, the best and homemade tortilla's.

yakimaresident
Thanks Yakimaresident, I have been wondering which is the best Mexican restaurant. I do like Los Camperos, but seeking something more authentic.

Now what other restaurants (non-Mexican) are great in Yakima and the rest of the Valley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 05:36 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
In Yakima for Mexican food I like El Porton over on the west side best. Their satellite location next to the new mall is good too, but if you have the time go over to the original location for greatest freshness and taste.

I also like Mel's Diner, Sportsman's, Essencia Bakery, several others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:05 PM

64 posts, read 376,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S.
It's really, really bad. Some of the worst in the whole state in fact. The overwhelming majority of it is gang related.

You can find the crime stats here:

Yakima, Washington (WA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

U.S. average crime rate is 325.2. Yakima's in 2005 was 668.1!
That "overall crime index" also includes petty property crimes like thefts.

Many people on this forum claim that Yakima is a very violent city plagued with gang and drug activity...and yes, there is a lot of that on the east side of town. But I looked at the statistics that Mark S. linked to, and found that overall, violent crime levels in Yakima are no worse -- probably better -- than most American cities of the same size.

I added the per-capita number of aggravated assaults, robberies, forcible rapes, and non-negligent murders in 2005 together. I came up with 551.3, where the U.S. average is 473.5. Of course, the U.S. average includes all of the rural areas and tiny towns where you least expect crime to happen, so for a city its size, crime in Yakima is not that bad. Violent crime also decreased from 551.3 violent crimes per capita in 2005 to 543.6 in 2006. But things were even better in 2004, where Yakima's violent crime rate was lower than the national average.

So overall, Yakima is not a violent city. As people have pointed out, the east side of the city does have issues with crime, gangs, and drugs. But many people that have lived on the east side of Yakima tend to think that the entire city is a dump, which is absolutely not true.

And just to make a point: I currently live near Quincy, Illinois, which has 757.9 violent crimes per 100,000 residents. Almost everyone (except for me, of course) paints a very rosy picture of that city. So if Yakima is less dangerous, I don't understand why people are painting such a negative picture.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:36 PM

428 posts, read 2,439,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint_Noname View Post
I don't understand why people are painting such a negative picture.
I think it has to do with "familiarity" and "contempt".
Those who have lived here for a while have a "same ol', same ol'" mentality when they hear of the latest outrage, which just fuels their bashing hobby. I tend to fall into this group, sometimes.

Then there are the escapees that think everything (everything)has stayed the same here since the day they left.

So, both groups do see Yakima the same way, but for slightly different reasons.
Throughout all the threads on Yakima, not one mention has been made that we are a wine destination. Yes, good enough for the westsiders to come over and sip wine and spend money. I think we'd make a great golf destination, too, we certainly have enough room.
Countless westsiders like Yakima enough to get out of their rat race and buy houses here, and start new lives.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:22 AM

10 posts, read 66,095 times
Default Dining in Yakima

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
In Yakima for Mexican food I like El Porton over on the west side best. Their satellite location next to the new mall is good too, but if you have the time go over to the original location for greatest freshness and taste.

I also like Mel's Diner, Sportsman's, Essencia Bakery, several others I can't think of off the top of my head.
Thanks. Been to the Sportsman many a time. Fun casual place. And Mels, good greasy fun but in measured doses: my doctor would not be too happy with that kind of diet!

As for Mexican food, I have been doing some tasting. Have heard some good things about Vella Senors on Fruitvale, but not been there yet. And there's a place on Lincoln I still need to find. Have been to Santiagos downtown and while they are good, it's not quite the food style I seek. Los Camperos on Tieton is fairly decent and have great staff. There are a few in the Valley I need to check.

I did a Google search of Mexican restaurants in Yakima. Six years ago Sunset magazine did a feature on the best ones here, but I am wondering which are still around. More research I guess!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 19,160 times
Default Best Mexican joint in Yakima Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWDUDE2002 View Post
...As for Mexican food, I have been doing some tasting. Have heard some good things about Vella Senors on Fruitvale, but not been there yet. And there's a place on Lincoln I still need to find.
Hey Dude, the place on Lincoln is Antojitos Mexicano, around 22nd Avenue. Bar far the best in the Yakima Valley. Pardon the cliché but it's where the locals go. They serve four or five varieties of salsa and sauces with the meals, and on weekends even have Menudo soup "to cure the hang overs". Go there, you will be glad you did.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 25,776 times
You guys have me all wrong. I love Yakima and I can't wait to move back. That post is intended for people who have just moved to Yakima. Locals know how to handle themselves wherever.

That map isn't perfect. The main roads in most of those areas are just fine... especially around the old mall and track 29.

Yakima's violent crime is way worse than most people realize because the police don't take reports on run of the mill assaults.

Obviously not all West Valley people are snobs, but the difference between West Valley (or Selah, or Moxee) and Yakima proper is staggering.

Yakima, overall, is a great place with a TON of upside. It's also a very easy place to get yourself in trouble if you aren't careful. Again, locals don't realize that they're being careful because they are used to it.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,661 times
I will be relocating to Yakima in Mid-July. I plan to rent for at least a year before I purchase a home. Can you please give me your opinion on the following Apt. Complex...Glenmoor Green Apartments in 4602 Tieton Drive, Quail Ridge on 1500 W Mead Ave. and St. Andrews, 5104 W. Nob Hill. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 AM

3 posts, read 25,776 times
My advice would be to hold out for a duplex in a nicer area (like Selah or West Valley). There aren't many apartments in Yakima, and they tend to not be that nice.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,378 times
I lived in Kennewick for 23 years and cant figure out why someone would recommend Tri-Cities (Dry Cities) over Yakima (Crackima). The positive side of Yakima is that it is closer to the mountains and Western Washington. TriCities is 90 minutes further away.

I live in the Seattle area now and have purchased 5-1/2 acres in West Valley. My wife is from the Yakima area and we plan on retiring there. Most of the people who commented have been dead on, anything west of 40th or the out of town areas are pretty nice.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington