U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2009, 01:18 PM
 
524 posts, read 1,762,080 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKSunny View Post
Fat Freddy..thanks for the input..I think I vetoed Ocean Shores almost as quickly as I considered it..the pictures sucked me in...thanks for providing an alternative view. The Tsunami sign is crazy....but I guess I have put up with tornadoes all my life so Im kinda used to freaky weather.....but a Tsunami, wow!
The intersection pic looks like everywhere in OKlahoma. BLAH
We just went to Ocean Shores last week and hated it. Dirty old run-down town. Beaches were nice and clean and empty though. Hard to believe that it is a top vacation spot out here. Guess we're just used to the east coast beaches and towns. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2009, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Near Sequim, WA
426 posts, read 1,048,725 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittgal View Post
Hard to believe that it is a top vacation spot out here.
Top vacation spot???... maybe a top vacation spot for Grays Harbor County...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 03:04 PM
 
186 posts, read 332,470 times
Reputation: 98
If you are looking for a nice beach town, the OR coast is much better. Ocean Shores is a dump! Nothing to write home about. Not only is parking on the beach unsafe, the smell from the cars is gross. Check out the coast of OR. Cannon Beach, Seaside and other towns. You will like it. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 11:44 PM
 
Location: The Great Northwest, USA
21 posts, read 42,187 times
Reputation: 13
Cool Ocean Shores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
There are rich people living in Ocean Shores. You only have to look at all the huge houses on Duck lake to realize that. There are also many rich summer residents who inhabit the beach mansions.

However, most people who live here are either retired, work in real estate, construction, or the tourist industry.

Real estate in Ocean Shores has had periods of boom and bust. A couple of years ago was a manipulated boom period. Those responsible grabbed huge profits and moved on, leaving the real estate values artificially inflated, and the market unstable.

Construction is tied to the real estate market. It's pretty depressed right now. However, even when it's booming, most of the construction companies are family owned, so it's not an ideal place to come looking for construction work.

The tourist industry employs a lot of people, but they are generally seasonal low paying service jobs like hotel maids. Many of these jobs are filled by immigrants.

The tourist stores employ retail clerks, and the restaurants hire waitresses, bus boys, and dishwashers, but they are usually family or local young people.

There are two main stores in town where the locals shop, the IGA Grocery, and the ACE Hardware. There is also Levee Lumber Building Supply. Quite a few people work at these places, but there is not much turn over.

There are also city jobs like the Police, Fire Department, Street Department, etc. But these have all recently laid off people because of budget problems.

Which brings up another issue - taxes and fees. Ocean Shores is one of the most expensive places in the area to live. Taxes are high and they are always coming up with ways to get more money from the residents. Recently they did some repaving of some of the roads and it is going to cost everyone a few thousand dollars depending on how much their property is worth.

The water in Ocean Shores is probably the worst tasting and most expensive in the state of Washington. However, they are about to spend several million dollars to fix this. Supposedly it won't raise the water rates, but I'll believe that when I see it.

The City Council recently passed a bill to pick everyone's pocket of about $200 by threatening to cancel the EMT ambulance service. With a town full of old folks, no doctor in town, and the nearest hospital 25 miles away, they didn't get much resistance.

And don't get me started on how they wanted to sell off the city owned Weatherwax Nature Preserve to developers who wanted to make it into a gated community of condominiums.

I could go and on with the negative stuff, the collusion between the tourist industry, the real estate developers and the local politicians, but what would be the point? If you read the history of Ocean Shores, you will see that it started out years ago as a real estate hype by a California land developer. Over the years the scammers and hypsters have changed, and what started out as a huge sub-division has changed into an official "city".

But, the attitude remains that this area is a resource to exploit, develop, and profit from, not a treasure to appreciate and preserve as a place to live. However, the Weatherwax sale was stopped by citizens who organized and made their voice heard.

Maybe in a few years, those who want to live here and preserve this beautiful and unique place will outnumber those who want to destroy and profit from it.

************

Here are some pictures of Ocean Shores that don't usually appear in the tourist literature.

The first one shows the beach on a non-crowded day. When the sun's out there will be ten times this many people and vehicles.
The second picture shows why all the residents have NOAA alert radios turned on 24 hours a day.
The third picture shows the town's main intersection. The stores you see are the IGA and ACE hardware. There is also a state liquor store there.
Then there is our Marina. It used to be full of fishing and pleasure boats, but now the bay has filled in and they can't get in nor out.
LOL @ Fat Freddy. I think you need to move if you are talking folks out of moving to Ocean Shores. You've been there too long reading the politics.

Although a lot of what Freddy says is true, an optimist could probably point out some good about it... I'm not too great with politics although they do interest me ... I'm still not going to try to optimize about them in Ocean Shores... cause yes, the "city" of Ocean Shores was built on a dream of a deeper pocket to be filled.

I would not want to live there personally, I just work there in nothing less than a hotel. It is my job to bring people out to the beach. Potential customers for the local businesses. Ocean Shores is a huge tourist destination and thrives on Convention business http://www.oceanshoresmeetings.com/ and destination vacations. There are some great events http://www.oceanshores.org/ that go on out there like "Sun & Surf" where the entire city fills with Harley Davidson motorcycles. It's amazing! You always know when the Harley's come to town. Typically the last weekend in July. Anyway, the local shops are neat... filled with fun and mystical beachy items. I recommend shopping out there. Some of the local bars are really neat too, for instance Galway Bay, a great little Irish pub with authentic music to boot. I personally love the people I work with which are mostly Ocean Shores residence. Oh, the sunsets and sunrises are AMAZING!!! If you ever have the chance to just visit, make sure you have a great view so you can catch one or the other or BOTH!!! I have a picture of a sunset posted in my album here. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 11:51 PM
 
Location: The Great Northwest, USA
21 posts, read 42,187 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittgal View Post
We just went to Ocean Shores last week and hated it. Dirty old run-down town. Beaches were nice and clean and empty though. Hard to believe that it is a top vacation spot out here. Guess we're just used to the east coast beaches and towns. Good luck!
Ocean Shores just repaved ALL the roads and is working on making it look less "dirty". Although that is a seriously hard and repetitive task when dealing with windy ocean air that coats everything in salt and sand. You just didn't come out at a good time. When it's sunny out it's a great experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 12:56 AM
 
3 posts, read 22,049 times
Reputation: 10
There is a very large and beautiful library 30 minutes away from Ocean Shores in Hoquiem or Aberdeen. It's part of the "Timberland" library system.

Ocean Shores is very peaceful and the ocean is NOT as crowded as Fat Freddy's picture on an "uncrowded" day. Fat Freddy doesn't want more people moving to Ocean Shores and ruining it. I understand how he feels, but many days you have the entire beach to your self. For miles and miles. North of Ocean Shores is a Rainforest and Indian lands. Plus miles and miles of wild undeveloped coastline.

Good luck with your relocation decision.

Dhasa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2012, 01:02 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,416 times
Reputation: 11
Smile my experiences in ocean shores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
There are rich people living in Ocean Shores. You only have to look at all the huge houses on Duck lake to realize that. There are also many rich summer residents who inhabit the beach mansions.

However, most people who live here are either retired, work in real estate, construction, or the tourist industry.

Real estate in Ocean Shores has had periods of boom and bust. A couple of years ago was a manipulated boom period. Those responsible grabbed huge profits and moved on, leaving the real estate values artificially inflated, and the market unstable.

Construction is tied to the real estate market. It's pretty depressed right now. However, even when it's booming, most of the construction companies are family owned, so it's not an ideal place to come looking for construction work.

The tourist industry employs a lot of people, but they are generally seasonal low paying service jobs like hotel maids. Many of these jobs are filled by immigrants.

The tourist stores employ retail clerks, and the restaurants hire waitresses, bus boys, and dishwashers, but they are usually family or local young people.

There are two main stores in town where the locals shop, the IGA Grocery, and the ACE Hardware. There is also Levee Lumber Building Supply. Quite a few people work at these places, but there is not much turn over.

There are also city jobs like the Police, Fire Department, Street Department, etc. But these have all recently laid off people because of budget problems.

Which brings up another issue - taxes and fees. Ocean Shores is one of the most expensive places in the area to live. Taxes are high and they are always coming up with ways to get more money from the residents. Recently they did some repaving of some of the roads and it is going to cost everyone a few thousand dollars depending on how much their property is worth.

The water in Ocean Shores is probably the worst tasting and most expensive in the state of Washington. However, they are about to spend several million dollars to fix this. Supposedly it won't raise the water rates, but I'll believe that when I see it.

The City Council recently passed a bill to pick everyone's pocket of about $200 by threatening to cancel the EMT ambulance service. With a town full of old folks, no doctor in town, and the nearest hospital 25 miles away, they didn't get much resistance.

And don't get me started on how they wanted to sell off the city owned Weatherwax Nature Preserve to developers who wanted to make it into a gated community of condominiums.

I could go and on with the negative stuff, the collusion between the tourist industry, the real estate developers and the local politicians, but what would be the point? If you read the history of Ocean Shores, you will see that it started out years ago as a real estate hype by a California land developer. Over the years the scammers and hypsters have changed, and what started out as a huge sub-division has changed into an official "city".

But, the attitude remains that this area is a resource to exploit, develop, and profit from, not a treasure to appreciate and preserve as a place to live. However, the Weatherwax sale was stopped by citizens who organized and made their voice heard.

Maybe in a few years, those who want to live here and preserve this beautiful and unique place will outnumber those who want to destroy and profit from it.

************

Here are some pictures of Ocean Shores that don't usually appear in the tourist literature.

The first one shows the beach on a non-crowded day. When the sun's out there will be ten times this many people and vehicles.
The second picture shows why all the residents have NOAA alert radios turned on 24 hours a day.
The third picture shows the town's main intersection. The stores you see are the IGA and ACE hardware. There is also a state liquor store there.
Then there is our Marina. It used to be full of fishing and pleasure boats, but now the bay has filled in and they can't get in nor out.

I lived in Ocean Shores and also had a business there. Much of what you have said is true about the corruption in the political side of Ocean Shores. I was there when a BIG property scam took place and the LID's, and all the other ways the city tried to make money illegally. I also remember there was a class action law suit against the city for their bad ideas against the people. Unfortunatly, politics ran the people from Ocean Shores and the small "city" started and has slowly become a ghost town.

But to be honest and fair... I have traveled and lived in many states and countries, I have yet to find a place where the things that go on in Ocean Shores "politically" not happen in other cities. Everywhere there is corruption, come on lets be honest. There are business back stabbers, corrupt politicians, scammers everywhere, even on the internet.

But the "local" people who are not corrupt in Ocean Shores out number the ones who are. They ban together and try to keep from being taken again and again. Sadly the officals of Ocean Shores aren't smart enough to realize they are distroying the place and eventually it will be completely a ghost town.

The cops even make it hard for business owners who work late hours only to get pulled over at 2am thinking you have been drinking. Only to get upset because they find a very tired hard working business owner FINALLY getting home after a 20 hr. day. That happened to me.... And he couldn't give me a ticket (because I don't drink), nor could he tell me why he pulled me over. laughs

Tourist come into town and leave their garbage so the locals can go along and clean it up along the beach, which we did every year as a group.

Bottomline, no matter where you live there is everything good and bad. You just need to be smart enough to stick with the "good" folks and let God take care of those corrupt folks, cause he will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,416 times
Reputation: 11
So true!!! Hence the beauty of Ocean Shores and the "peacefulness" is bringing me back to Ocean Shores to retire and open up shop again. Ocean Shores may not be for everyone but it is friendly and a great place to live, if you can just leave the politics out. But we really don't want to over populate the place now do we? smirks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2012, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
3,731 posts, read 3,123,329 times
Reputation: 1838
My grandparents own a small cabin a few miles up the highway in Ocean City. Ocean Shores is BEAUTIFUL as is the entire coast. I always look forward to the family weekends at my grandma's Ocean City cabin during the summer.

That said, it is a small, very small, town. There's the Dicks IGA (only grocery store), an Ace Hardware, a movie theater, a bowling alley, a McDonalds, and several small local shops that probably don't run during the winter months.

There is also a library, three schools, a marina, an interpretive center, and a very small airport. Sadly, the ferry between there and Westport no longer runs, and its quite a drive around the harbor if you want to travel between the two for any reason.

If you go, don't miss Copalis. You can get lunch at the Green Lantern and check out Vendor Village if you want, but the real treat is the walk up the beach to the mouth of the Copalis River. Its a long walk, but its well worth it. Roosevelt Beach a bit farther north is also worth a mention.

The stretch of beach between Ocean Shores and Ocean City is legal state highway, and all the rules of the road apply. Sometimes it is nice to drive the beach between the two, rather than the paved highway.

It is a pretty quiet area outside of summer, and crime fairly low. Although Hogan's corner on the highway just outside of town was made famous by the book "Murder at Hogan's Corner" which is based on a true murder story at Hogan's Corner.

Anyway, nice place. Small, no real jobs outside of tourism, LOTS of rain in the winter (and even summer it can rain quite a bit, but there are also many gorgeous and warm summer days there too) so personally I'd never want to live there due to the rain, but if you can live with it, it truly is a beautiful place with beautiful surroundings and scenery, and if you can make it financially, I say go for it!

BTW, more shopping opportunities and possibly working opportunites can be found about 30 minutes away in Aberdeen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 PM
 
3,973 posts, read 7,076,364 times
Reputation: 1576
Admittedly, have not read every post here, but let me offer this perspective.

When I was a kid, (1960's), Ocean Shores was the new best thing. It was marketed as a luxury communitiy with blueprints of great homes, great resorts, great golf, great everything. The truth is it never came to fruition. Yes, many have settled there. Some with very beautiful homes, most with average homes. The area itself has struggled for decades. A small casino brought some slightly higher interest, but it still remains rather stagnent, and certainly comes short of those 1960's expectations.

For me personally, this would be a prime tsunami disaster when it happens, whether tomorrow, or a hundred years from now. That seriously scares me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top