U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:57 PM

145 posts, read 374,093 times
Default license plate frame law in washington

does anyone know if there is some law that prohibits the use of a license plate frame or even clear cover? if the frame covers part of the words WASHINGTON at the top, is that an offense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 05:15 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,351,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames34 View Post
does anyone know if there is some law that prohibits the use of a license plate frame or even clear cover? if the frame covers part of the words WASHINGTON at the top, is that an offense?
If it is, it isn't being enforced much. I see people with not merely obscuring frames, but various amounts of crud and stuff making them hard to read. My bet: if you're the type that gets pulled over (i.e. you speed a lot, run stop signs and lights, etc.) a lot, they'll probably add to your ticket. If you don't attract a lot of law enforcement attention, nothing will probably happen because they aren't looking at you much.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:33 PM

271 posts, read 722,961 times
I see people with hitches that cover half the plate also, so they must not enforce the law much.

I can never understand people who buy a $50k car and yet leave a tacky 20 cent plate frame on there.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
I see people with hitches that cover half the plate also, so they must not enforce the law much.

I can never understand people who buy a $50k car and yet leave a tacky 20 cent plate frame on there.
Myself, I can never understand people who leave the dealer's frame on there. Unless the dealer pays them for the advertising space. Who wants to give a car dealer anything of value, much less free advertising? Boggles my mind.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:00 PM

145 posts, read 374,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Myself, I can never understand people who leave the dealer's frame on there. Unless the dealer pays them for the advertising space. Who wants to give a car dealer anything of value, much less free advertising? Boggles my mind.

yeah, why people never feel compelled to remove the dealer's frame is beyond me. like you're proud of the dealer that ripped you off or something...

----------
it may very well not be a law in washington state. it wasn't a law in my old state until just recently, so this is why i asked in the first place. it's such a stupid law. i mean, if i want to show off my frame that costs more than my car, the law shouldn't stop me!

Old 08-14-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames34 View Post
it may very well not be a law in washington state. it wasn't a law in my old state until just recently, so this is why i asked in the first place. it's such a stupid law. i mean, if i want to show off my frame that costs more than my car, the law shouldn't stop me!
In my view, it's ceased to matter much whether one is actually obeying the traffic law or not. It used to be that only in small towns (hi there, Raymond) was the main purpose of law enforcement to raise revenue for the town through tickets. Nowadays it's gotten predatory, and the whole state is about revenue. Doing exactly the speed limit? Probable cause, as obeying traffic law precisely is very suspicious behavior. Doing under the limit? Even more probable cause, as that's likely a sign of DWI or carrying drugs; probable cause, and impeding traffic to boot. Doing over the limit? Breaking the law, so obviously grounds to stop you. Maybe the officer thought he saw you weaving; probable cause. Every time we turn around there's a new way to make it so that, really, anyone can be stopped. And then gods help you if the officer decides, in his/her sole judgment, that you have done something threatening. So if you have a little crud on your tags, or a frame that partly obscures any important aspect of them (state, expiration, number itself), to me that's simply putting a note on your car saying "please stop me!"

It's a good thing I have opted out of a belief in humanity's ability to govern itself, or I'd be pretty annoyed.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:38 PM

3,956 posts, read 6,617,360 times
This is too funny. When I bought a new car years ago I told the dealer to take off the frame with their name on it because I was just going to throw it away. They replied, we are "required" to put it on...I said that they were wasting money, and they said, "no we are not". Hmm.

I must say, though, I think some leave the frame on if their city name is on it...kind of like a symbol of pride?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:50 PM

4,925 posts, read 5,773,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
+1 But, I also feel that way about clothing where just about the entire design is their name or logo--never understood why I should pay for the shirt to advertise their company.

I've always taken the frames off.
I had Russ Dean Ford (Tri-Cities) remove their decal from a new truck I bought there some years ago...they weren't pleased but didn't give me any heartburn about it.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
+1 But, I also feel that way about clothing where just about the entire design is their name or logo--never understood why I should pay for the shirt to advertise their company.

I've always taken the frames off.
I had Russ Dean Ford (Tri-Cities) remove their decal from a new truck I bought there some years ago...they weren't pleased but didn't give me any heartburn about it.
Heh. I had fun doing the same thing at McCurley and later Abajian in Walla Walla. Neither was pleased but I sure was. I tried, unsuccessfully, to phrase it tactfully. Bottom line was I wasn't feeling tactful. Then again, they hate me anyway because I bring my own financing.

And strongly concur about wearing advertising. The very idea of buying the advertising for the privilege of wearing it! They should be paying you to wear it. I rain heaps of profanities and gutter utterances on the shrines of all their ancestors. I swear, sometimes I think our entire retail industry depends upon people declining to think or demand fair value.

And if I could rep you again, I would do it. Good to speak with a fellow freethinker.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:32 PM

1,450 posts, read 2,267,466 times
As far as the dealer frame - the sales person is too lazy to take it off. There are no rules of leaving the frame on other than dealer would like free marketing. I know this because I was a car salesperson for many years. Who actually reads a plate frame other than someone who is in the industry?

As the law goes- One day in a small town one of my friends multi generation local was pulled over for no reason in the middle of town after work. Nothing done to be pulled over. It was a new new new policeman that still looked like he was in high school. The cop told my friend he pulled him over because his hitch was blocking his plate! It ended up being the one of the funniest things I ever saw. He got so mad from him pulling him over for this he stood out in the road, middle of town everyone could hear him ***** out this cop to total embarassment. The kid cop ended up just gettting back in his car and leaving without giving any ticket. But guess that is a law that he could use..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington