Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,530 times

Advertisements

Hi I am looking for some ideas on possible area's in Western WA to relocate. Not a big fan of large cites (30,000-40,000 pop. ok). Currently I am going to school to recieve a degree as an Automotive Technician with 1 year to go, so hopefully finding employment in that field should not be a huge problem. My personal life revolves around fishing for Trout,Steelhead and Salmon so that is going to be the big drawing card as to were I try to get my foot in the door of a Western WA community. Any fellow anglers out there please feel free to throw some suggestions at me. Having to drive an hour or two to seasonal hotspots is not a big deal, but still be able to sneek in some on the water time after work would be great, be it lake, river/stream or salt. Near the top of my list is the olympia area with its proximity to the O.P. ( it has the appearance that you could spend a lifetime exploring it and not see it all). Thank you to any and all that respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 12:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Consider Vancouver, WA as well. Many local fishermen enjoy the proximity to eastern OR for superb (non-rainy) fly fishing or the 'wild' Klickitat ((Lyle, WA) + the Columbia, Lewis, Washougal, Wind Rivers for Steelhead and Salmon. Several backwater lakes along the Columbia Gorge too. (Steelhead are coming through in record numbers... 18,000+ in one day through Bonneville Dam this week (previous record was 12,000 in one day back in the 80's)) You can also make a living bounty fishing for pike minnows (squawfish) 2009 Northern Pikeminnow Sport Reward Fishery

One of my friends did auto mech at the Portland Post Office, was a real good job, but 9% income tax in OR. He worked nights to offset the traffic and income tax issues. Working nights is GREAT if you like to fish. I did nights (evenings for 28 of my 32 yrs employment) Paid lunch + 10% extra pay, no bosses, no interruptions, no phone calls, no vendors, lots of work duty variety, and self management (You can make your own decisions. ) I really liked the 4 day workweeks and having everyday free. Many night shifters sleep in and then wait to go to work, but I chose to get LESS sleep and have MORE fun, (Night and day). Got to work about 30 seconds early, playing till the last minute. To bed by 2AM and up by 7AM, play all day and go to work tired (you will get so you can do your job in your sleep). The BEST part of the day was mine (and family), the tired part was 'the company's I always gave 120% anyway, and our night shift statistically did more work that 2x the # of day shifters.

Olympia, and Centralia would be good options, Fife is good if you are into RV repair (a very lucrative income). Tacoma has a lot of car dealers in part due to Military bases. Bremerton would be good too, but a LONG way from having a dry weekend of fishing (eastern WA).

Old 08-19-2009, 01:17 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
The area north of Everett to Bellingham covers all of your wants.
I live in 7 lakes which is west of Arlington, WA. Some of the lakes are stocked with trout. You can go another 2 miles to the sound and dig clams and catch Dungeness crabs as well as fish from the beach, the pier or a boat. However the park rangers will check your catch because strict rules apply about size especially for crabs.
The Stilliguamish river and the skagit river are good for salmon and Steelhead.
There is one important thing to know however. All of the fishing rights in western WA belong to the indian tribes. You have to have multiple licenses to fish and your catch is very limited. Officials patrol all of the popular sites and if you do not follow the rules, they will not only confiscate your fish, but your gear and your car, sort of like a drug bust. They are very unforgiving.
In the north near anacortes you can go out on a fishing boat to catch the really good and big salmon. The fee includes your license and they hook you up with gear. It costs about $100 for a whole day. You can probably take 2 fish and have to throw the rest back.
Being a mechanic is a good thing in this area. Everyone has multiple cars, 4x4's, riding mowers, boats, jet skis, etc, You could easily have your own business.
Rents are not cheap, but you could get a roomate situation for about $500-600/mo

Old 08-20-2009, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,530 times
Thank you for the replies StealthRabbit and yukiko11, I will add your suggestions to my list of possible areas. Its great to read about real residents feelings and ideas , not just a chamber of commerce selling point. Still having over a year to make the move , where ever it may be gives me alot of time to do lots of research. With the current ecomony the way it is finding a job out there has me a bit worried with regards to interviews, seeing I am currently in Wisconsin. One idea floating around in my head is to gain employment at a nationally owned francise shop here and wait for an opening in or close to an area out there. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington