Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 08:33 PM

4 posts, read 15,741 times

Advertisements

I use to live in Washington and I loved it. My grown children and grandkids live in the Yelm and Federal Way areas. I live in Oklahoma and that is too far away from the ones I love. I hope to move to Wa. to be close to them but I am concerned about being able to support myself. I have a small social security check so I have to work. I am experience in sales and as a receptionist. The problem is that I am 66 years old. Does anyone know if there are any programs that help older peope find work? About how much would I expect to pay,in rent, for an older house with room for a garden? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 08:09 AM

Default sorry about that

Please excuse the mispelled words in the first post. I didn't have my glasses on and didn't check for spelling.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:45 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Hi pellis.

I know that if you're in Seattle that there's a city agency called the "Age 55+ Employment Resource Center" that would help you find a job. I just ran across their website:

http://www.seattle.gov/humanservices/mosc/age55/ (broken link)

Rents will vary for an "older house with room for a garden" depending on where you want to be located. If you'd give us some more information as to where you're thinking of living, I'm sure other participants on this board will be able to give you some rental information.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 04-27-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you rocco. I would like to live in the Yelm area. My son and his wife live there. I have a daughter in Federal Way and another son is Spanaway. Any of those places would be fine if I can find a place where I can have a little garden and my two dogs. Oklahoma is nice, but I sure miss Washington.

Last edited by pellis16; 04-27-2007 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: wrong name

Old 04-27-2007, 05:12 PM

I am sorry rocco. I put an i in your name.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:22 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Hi again, pellis.

Here's an agency in Thurston County that helps "seniors" find employment:

http://www.lmtaaa.org/content/text_services.htm#IA (broken link)

As far as housing rentals go, take a look at the local Craigslist listings to get an idea of rental prices. Other posters may help out with this information too as I'm not up on the rentals around Thurston County but I'm assuming you could find a rental house in Yelm for less than $1,000/mo.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/apa/

Good luck! Let us know how you're progressing.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 04-27-2007, 10:42 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Default I'm not a realtor but...

I have had friends check Craig's list and Hometown Property management in Lacey WA. to get an idea of the current market for rentals.

You might also want to go online and check the Olympian Newspaper and drop a note to the pastor if you belong to a church. Seems to be lots of churches in Thurston County.

Good Luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington