Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 05:04 AM

404 posts, read 1,332,773 times

Advertisements

I hear Tacoma, WA is quite bad along with many places in Pierce County.

Could someone comment on parts of Washington to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 09:46 AM

392 posts, read 1,551,037 times
You're hearing 15 year old information. Tacoma, for the most part, is a great place to live. There are still some areas of South Tacoma and some areas of Lakewood that have some crime, but all in all the 253 area code is a great place to live.
Tons of housing options, diverse population in terms of age and income and professions, colleges and jobs nearby, easy access to Seattle, Portland, Canada, wherever.
There are always those people who are only happy if they're complaining, and they'll still tell you Tacoma is a bad place to live. The majority of us who either live or work in the area will tell you it's a great place. I wouldn't still be here if it weren't.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:53 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,396,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechmanOR View Post
I hear Tacoma, WA is quite bad along with many places in Pierce County.

Could someone comment on parts of Washington to avoid?
Tacoma's large enough to have good and bad parts, like Seattle or Portland.

A fair part of Yakima, Sunnyside and several other towns in the Yakima Valley are fairly crummy as well. But it depends upon your comparison basis. If you are comparing to East St. Louis, for example, I'm fairly sure we don't have anything as scary as ESL's scariest. If you are comparing to Lake Oswego, then yeah, some parts are scary.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:41 AM

17 posts, read 59,008 times
The 253 area code region is a large area. Some of it is nasty, but most is nice. Tacoma used to have a bad reputation but today is pretty gentrified. A lot of folks in Seattle and the eastside look down their noses because it has an industrial, blue collar element to it. Mostly it's a lot of snobbery. There are some beautiful neighborhoods in Tacoma's north end with great water and mountain views and beautiful old houses.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,825 times
The latest post on here before mine was in 2008, so with it now being 2010, I can definitively state that Tacoma has continued to get better. It largely survived the massive drop off in real estate values, and the downtown core continues to grow. If you're looking for a large town with a small town atmosphere, Tacoma is the place.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:45 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,797,405 times
Don't let some of the people here fool you, there ARE some pretty sketchy areas in the 253, especially in Tukwila. I personally really like it there though because of Southcenter Mall, Sea-Tac Airport, Wild Waves, and the diversity.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:10 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,232,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Don't let some of the people here fool you, there ARE some pretty sketchy areas in the 253, especially in Tukwila. I personally really like it there though because of Southcenter Mall, Sea-Tac Airport, Wild Waves, and the diversity.
Tukwila is in the 206 area code, not 253.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington