Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 02:41 PM

154 posts, read 925,855 times

Advertisements

I'm still new to the state and wanted to take a mini trip for just the weekend and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for some cool things to do in the fall in Washington for a weekend trip. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 04:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I'd plan an Oct weekend to Spokane for the upcoming quilt show Washington State Quilters - "Carousel Centennial"Quilt Show & Merchant MallOctober 16, 17 & 18, 2009Spokane County Fair & Expo Center404 N. Havana St., City of Spokane Valley (http://wsqspokane.org/quilt_show - broken link).
For enjoying fall colors, you can probably squeeze in a 'Loop-Drive' over into ID (I'd head out SE toward Rose Lake (Kellogg direction) to (Rte 7) and around the far side of Lake CDL (I hear Harrison is a nice town on the lake), and back through Moscow / Pullman driving along the north bank of Columbia River. (Try to fit in Palouse Falls while you're in the area (Enroute, or coming home)

I'd do an 'orchard' weekend too (Upper Columbia / Wenatchee, Leavenworth, Chelan / Bridgeport) Loop back through Republic, or on to Kettle Falls and back to Tri Cities.

Check for 'harvest events' through-out the state, go to a small town 'Homecoming' game. Look for 'fundraiser' breakfasts and dinners, it is a good way to meet locals, and maybe get an invite for the weekend, to a farm or ranch with horses. Then you can really enjoy the crisp aroma of the fall forests.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:46 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
How about Levenworth? For that matter, sorry for the short notice, but it's Balloon Weekend in Prosser, starting tomorrow. They have activities both days, you can get a balloon ride (hot air) but that's not exactly cheap.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:20 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
I also say go to Leavenworth in October for Octoberfest! Good times, great camping spots or stay in local hotel. Or go over for the Christmas Tree lighting in December.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:56 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,763 times
Come to Olympia to watch the salmon return, stroll around the farmers market, visit a cider mill, watch a play and visit the capitol.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:09 PM

17 posts, read 42,793 times
Default Best Places to Go in Washington State

Hoods Canal - Alderbrook - If you can't afford it, stay somewhere else and then go there to hang out and have hamburgers outside. You can rent some boat time as they have charter boats there.

Mossyrock - Harmony Park - You can rent a "park model" which is like a very nice cabin, or you can bring your fifth wheel or motor home and definately bring a boat, a raft or something. Go on a quiet weekend or preferably during the week when it is quiet. Beautiful place.

To the beach, any beach - Ocean Shores, Pacific Beach, Westport, Long Beach. Take the family. In fact, take your friends and their families and do it together. Do it every year. Dig clams, get wet, sunbathe and let the kids dig in the sand. You will never regret it. I have wonderful memories as a kid because my Mom loved the ocean and took us there at least once every year and made it special for us. It's cheap if you can do it with others. Camp out or rent a trailer if you don't have a lot of money.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:34 PM

37 posts, read 68,577 times
You didn't say where in WA you were living. It's a big state.

Assuming you are somewhere near Seattle and like the outdoors:

Port Townsend
Hurricane Ridge
Victoria, BC by ferry (one of my favorite)
Vancouver, BC
Whistler ski area, BC
Jan Juan islands
Leavenworth
Lake Chelan
Cape Flattery - the most NW point in the continental US
Lots of other places on the Olympic Peninusla
Mt. Rainier
Mt. St. Helen
Portland, OR

Old 02-17-2014, 06:51 PM

154 posts, read 925,855 times
Thanks Beantown Joe. I am in Eastern WA. I have lived here 6 years since I wrote that post and have visited a lot of the places you mentioned I definitely want to try Victoria, BC. Where is Hurricane Ridge ?

Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd94595 View Post
Thanks Beantown Joe. I am in Eastern WA. I have lived here 6 years since I wrote that post and have visited a lot of the places you mentioned I definitely want to try Victoria, BC. Where is Hurricane Ridge ?
Wow, here 6 years and not been to Hurricane Ridge! It's the most beautiful place in the state. Combine it with a trip to Victoria. It's in the Olympic National Park, about 35 minutes from Port Angeles, which has a daily ferry to Victoria.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:26 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Wow, here 6 years and not been to Hurricane Ridge! It's the most beautiful place in the state. Combine it with a trip to Victoria. It's in the Olympic National Park, about 35 minutes from Port Angeles, which has a daily ferry to Victoria.
I have lived in WA for over forty years and have never been to Hurricane Ridge.

OP, have you ever hiked the Pasayten?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington