U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 01:07 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,651,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelinzoe View Post
I am in SoCal as well (Long Beach) but my parents live in Washington, one hour north of Seattle in a farm community. Every time I visit I feel sad to leave. Have you visited yet??? YOu must! It is green, clean, and has everything you need for a young growing family like yours. My suggestion: stick to the surrounding areas of Seattle (not necessarily smack dab in Seattle); possibly even a little more north in Bellingham (that is where my husband and I are looking as his company is sending out workers to that area). In SoCal there are a lot of cons but also a lot of pros. We have a hustle and bustle lifestyle; we are spoiled with options. I have so much to do with my kids here. Moving to a little town may be a bit of a shock for us, but any of the Seattle surrounding areas have plenty. Also, Seattle is near the coast and when we live so close to the beach here in SoCal we get a bit spoiled. You may want to see the water every now and then so stay west. Weather wise it will be cooler but that can also be a plus. The air smells so fresh and crisp.
Stay away from Tacoma. Try not to go South of Seattle in fact. When leaving SoCal you want to trade "up" if you know what I mean.
Definitely visit. Spend a few days driving around. Kern, Puyallup, Marysville, Lynwood, Bellingham; ck out those areas. Especially Bellingham (90 min north of Seattle). I've heard they have great healthcare jobs. It's a college town; plenty of young people and families. It's a beautiful drive there and a beautiful place to be. The train goes from my parents town to Bellingham and its absolutely breathtaking. Then my dad meets us in Bellingham, we shop for the day, and then we drive back on Chuckanut Drive, equally breathtaking. You must try it!
I live in Bham and work in healthcare. It's a beautiful place to live and raise a family, but wages at Peace Health are on the low end due to lack of competition. I'm unsure about law enforcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 11:23 PM

461 posts, read 284,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Bauer View Post
My advice is to move somewhere in the country where housing costs are really low: Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee. Cars and food cost more or less the same everywhere else, although gasoline can vary. If you can rent a 3 bedroom apartment in Orlando for $950, you can actually afford to eat too. I would try and cross-reference cheap housing markets with places that offer the educational programs you and your wife are planning to pursue. Lots of people are moving from NY, NJ, CT south to (Florida, Carolinas, Georgia, Texas), so don't wait too long to back your bags.
Well I will be one of those ones moving to WA from FL if I am able to do it. I am at the point where most places are getting expensive and if anything is cheap, its for a reason.. Places that cost more offer better quality of living usually.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:19 AM

15,348 posts, read 6,698,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Bauer View Post
My advice is to move somewhere in the country where housing costs are really low: Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee. Cars and food cost more or less the same everywhere else, although gasoline can vary. If you can rent a 3 bedroom apartment in Orlando for $950, you can actually afford to eat too. I would try and cross-reference cheap housing markets with places that offer the educational programs you and your wife are planning to pursue. Lots of people are moving from NY, NJ, CT south to (Florida, Carolinas, Georgia, Texas), so don't wait too long to back your bags.
You do realize that you are responding to a post from 2009, don't you?

Old 11-27-2016, 10:30 AM

17 posts, read 9,583 times
Default Paycheck to Paycheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
70% percent of all Americans in all 50 states live paycheck-to-paycheck so I dont think moving to another state will be the magic bullet that will fix everything for yall.
I know the figure is high but I thought the figure was more like 40 - 60%? Maybe it dropped because people don't have a paycheck to live from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or