Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 03:31 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times

Advertisements

Hey, all. I'm writing a book and one of the characters is originally from a somewhat rural area. This is to provide a contrast to a large city. Can anyone name a nice, cozy small-ish town and give any details you'd like about it? The weather, what people like to wear, what things there are to do there?

Thanks a bunch...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 03:51 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,455,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Hey, all. I'm writing a book and one of the characters is originally from a somewhat rural area. This is to provide a contrast to a large city. Can anyone name a nice, cozy small-ish town and give any details you'd like about it? The weather, what people like to wear, what things there are to do there?

Thanks a bunch...
What kind of weather do you want? Agricultural or touristic or even one of the pathetic remnant of timber towns? Cute or soulless? Hapsburg jaws or honor students? What percentage of Hispanic population do you want? Looking for a town with an old world ethnic strain such as Dutch or Finnish?

Old 10-22-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
What kind of weather do you want? Agricultural or touristic or even one of the pathetic remnant of timber towns? Cute or soulless? Hapsburg jaws or honor students? What percentage of Hispanic population do you want? Looking for a town with an old world ethnic strain such as Dutch or Finnish?
Oh hon. I'm not THAT particular. The old home will be referenced but they won't live there. I don't need to go crazy on accuracy. I just need a good old-fashioned town.

Agricultural sounds fine...not touristic. "Soulless" I'll leave alone since everyone has a different definition of that. Hispanic: Oh good gravy, who cares? As many as like to be there, I guess. I mean I'm in big trouble if someone wants to move to my town but says, "Oh wait. How many Ukrainian descent people are there? Okay, FORGET it." No, my town does not particularly require a strain shared with any Old Masters. But I suppose my protagonists could be former lutefisk eaters; again, not important.

Just a good, homey town and what makes it so, in any given person's perspective. Obviously different people will have different ideas of what "home" means and that's why I wanted to hear people's personal opinions/experiences; because I don't have a clear enough idea in my own head yet as to what I want to stress as far as differences, and I feel learning more about different areas may help.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:55 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,455,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Oh hon. I'm not THAT particular. The old home will be referenced but they won't live there. I don't need to go crazy on accuracy. I just need a good old-fashioned town.

Agricultural sounds fine...not touristic. "Soulless" I'll leave alone since everyone has a different definition of that. Hispanic: Oh good gravy, who cares? As many as like to be there, I guess. I mean I'm in big trouble if someone wants to move to my town but says, "Oh wait. How many Ukrainian descent people are there? Okay, FORGET it." No, my town does not particularly require a strain shared with any Old Masters. But I suppose my protagonists could be former lutefisk eaters; again, not important.

Just a good, homey town and what makes it so, in any given person's perspective. Obviously different people will have different ideas of what "home" means and that's why I wanted to hear people's personal opinions/experiences; because I don't have a clear enough idea in my own head yet as to what I want to stress as far as differences, and I feel learning more about different areas may help.
Sorry. Just trying to pick the best town to suit your writing efforts and storyline.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Sorry. Just trying to pick the best town to suit your writing efforts and storyline.
Thank you very much, j_k_k; I appreciate it.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Rockford
Colfax
Ritzville
Colville
Chewelah
Snohomish
Colton
Uniontown
Newport
Palouse

I could go on and on.

Last edited by Count David; 10-22-2009 at 08:21 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 07:21 PM

Thank you, David.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:35 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
Soap Lake. Central Washington desert. The town was a tourist attraction because of it's mineral laden lake, but it fell out of fashion and declined, remaining a town with a lot of agriculture nearby, a few motels, something of a Western/Cowboyish feel. It has some natural beauty, overlooking the sometimes purplish looking coulees. Some people do still visit the lake for it's medicinal attributes,and it's not uncommon to see immigrants from Eastern European countries lying on the beach, covered with the black mud from the bottom of the lake.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:56 PM

Thanks, Ira! I'm going to go look that up.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
This topic has come up many times in Rural Living thread, as well as other states (Like NE, WY, SD, CO...) Fairly lengthy and well written synopsis on these threads.

Why don't these authors go buddy-up and live in a small town for awhile? I would think that to provide better writing material (and plenty of time to write).... It seems there is quite a 'hollywood' stereo-type of small towns that doesn't fool or interest the vast majority of readers. Even Michener had it wrong with too much 'sensationalism'. I'd prefer to read Ralph Moody for more realist portrayal. Having BTDT...

A $89 air trip and a few weeks hanging around and befriending / living with locals would be $$ well spent. Just show up at a fundraising dinner or breakfast, or local church potluck and make a few friends. It's EZ, then you have a place to stay plus a good connection with the community. Spend a couple days with the local historian, work in the local paper and write a few stories for them (good chance to interview folks). Wait tables at the local diner. Pump gas and fix tires at the filling station, Bag and deliver groceries to the elderly, volunteer to paint / fix houses. Lots of fun, lots of AUTHENTIC material. Learn a few skills in the process.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-23-2009 at 12:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington