Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 08:46 AM

7 posts, read 20,730 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering choosing Fort Lewis, WA as our next duty station. I need to know what areas around there are safe and nice. We like very rural small towns and don't mind a commute of 30-45 minutes to do shopping or work. I have a college age daughter and a toddler son so colleges and schools are a priority. PLEASE I need info ASAP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 09:01 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,139,449 times
Shannon,

Take a closer look at Olympia. It's located 12 miles south of Ft. Lewis. Olympia has been ranked the safest mid sized town in the US these past two years in a row. There are 3 colleges in the area: South Puget Sound Community College, Evergreen State College, and St. Martin's University.
You can see photos of Olympia here: www.OlympiaUncovered.com
We're a military family as well. The first time we were assigned to Ft. Lewis we lived in South Tacoma and were not thrilled with the locality. With our second assignment years later, we knew the area and chose to live in Olympia. We love it here so much, we decided to stay after my husband retired.
Let me know if you have more questions.

Sandy

Old 10-27-2009, 07:25 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
I would try Olympia also or if you want rural look between Olympia and Yelm, closer to Evergreen college. Yelm is about short ways to back gate in Roy or East gate entrance to base. To post would be around 30 minutes. Hawks Prairie is also a nice area close to freeway entrance of base before Olympia. Basically a suburb of Lacey/Olympia.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:42 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
Olympia isn't very rural and Hawk's Prairie is starting to feel pretty suburban. You might think about looking more toward Graham, Eatonville, Elbe, Tenino, Grand Mound, outside Centralia or Chehalis, or out toward Shelton and McCleary. Your commute won't be too bad from any of those areas. The further you get from I-5, the more rural you'll be.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:03 AM

7 posts, read 20,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonrae14 View Post
My husband is considering choosing Fort Lewis, WA as our next duty station. I need to know what areas around there are safe and nice. We like very rural small towns and don't mind a commute of 30-45 minutes to do shopping or work. I have a college age daughter and a toddler son so colleges and schools are a priority. PLEASE I need info ASAP!
Thanks everyone! I think we are going to look around Chehalia because that's the kind of area that we like. I really appreciate all of your help!

Old 10-30-2009, 09:56 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
If you dont mind snow, Fort Richardson is very nice

Old 11-16-2009, 03:25 PM

4 posts, read 15,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonrae14 View Post
Fort Lewis is great. There is rural areas to the eat of the post - like Yelm and Graham, plus you are close to big cities like Tacoma, Olympia and Seattle. Commute depends on where you want to live. You could choose Dupont, a planned community outside the gate and have a 3 minute commute. mod cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 11-16-2009 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington