U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-10-2007, 05:22 PM

1,677 posts, read 4,259,166 times

Advertisements

It looks like I might be relocating to the Seattle area in the near future. We're coming from CA. In CA it's illegal to ask for first, last, and security (many people still do, but they're not supposed to). I'm confused looking at rentals in WA where they ask for first, last, and security, but give portions that are non-refundable. Does that mean you're definitely getting the other portion back? Or how does that work? The only other place I've ever rented was in New Jersey, where my deposit was put in an interest bearing account, and the full amount, plus interest, was paid back to me when I moved out. Actually a couple weeks before I moved (which was really weird to me, having come from CA).

Anyway, just wondering how that all works up in WA. We'd really like to rent a private residence, instead of doing an apartment complex, but I just want to know the details of how deposits work up there.

V. =)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 09:45 PM

416 posts, read 1,797,253 times
Washington state does not have strict rules reguarding rentals like California.

Non-refundable deposit - you will not get back.

Refundable deposit - will be applied towards any damage or clean up *you are required to leave the empty unit brand new.

There is no limit for damages. I had tenants try to collect amounts from 2000 dollars to 300 dollar.

Not once have I received a deposit check.

There's the landlord tenant laws but you have to fight anything in court for protection. It's limited help and kind of like a dog eat dog world.

Washington state is also an employment at will state, meaning they can let you go at any time without just cause.

Welcome to Washington state, good thing you asked about these rules.

***I was in culture shock moving and residing in AZ - what? you actually get a deposit back? weird.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:14 PM

Ah, thanks for the info! CA is an "at will" employment state, so I'm used to that. I'm also pretty used to big complexes never returning deposits, so that won't be a big deal either. Was just wondering what the deal was.

Thanks so much!

V. =)

Old 05-11-2007, 01:26 AM

46 posts, read 172,820 times
In Washington, a deposit is by definition something that is fully refundable, but it IS legal to charge a non-refundable fee (cleaning fee, etc)...you're just not supposed to call it a deposit, although I've noticed a lot of landlords don't seem to make or understand the distinction.

I've only had a problem getting back my deposit once, when I was young and didn't know my rights. In Washington state, landlords have 14 days after a tenant moves out to either return their full deposit, or give a written explanation why some or all of their deposit was withheld. Also, landlords are not supposed to charge for "normal wear and tear".

There's nothing against requiring a first & last month's rent here, although the only time I ever had to pay a last month's rent was when I was in college and had no credit history.

Here's the WA state attorney general's page on landlord-tenant rights, lots of good info here:

http://www.atg.wa.gov/ConsumerIssues/Landlord-Tenant.aspx (broken link)

Old 05-11-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum View Post
Here's the WA state attorney general's page on landlord-tenant rights, lots of good info here:

http://www.atg.wa.gov/ConsumerIssues/Landlord-Tenant.aspx (broken link)
Thank you for the link and other good info!

V. =)

Old 05-12-2007, 10:11 PM

550 posts, read 2,297,881 times
I've never had a landlord in WA not return my deposits. But that might be because I was VERY well versed in the landlord/tenant laws when they applied to me.

But, like anywhere else, there are LOTS of landlords either well-intentioned and uninformed, or just downright illegal acting. I've had some that have attempted to change the details of a lease after it was signed and without tenant approval. When it was brought to their attention that this is illegal and strictly forbidden by the landlord/tenant laws of the state, I was asked to "keep that to myself". What the...? And this was at a large apartment complex in Vancouver, not some tiny little hole-in-the-wall.

Best bet is to check out the complex at something like www.apartmentratings.com. If it's a private landlord, you might talk to some of their other tenants, if they're nearby or if the landlord will allow you to do so.

And redrum is absolutely correct, they're not allowed to charge you for normal wear.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:27 AM

2 posts, read 22,839 times
Does anyone know about tenant rights when it comes to assigned, paid for parking? I have a space in the very small garage in my building for which I pay $75/month. I drive an '07 Honda Accord, and my landlord is trying to put another vehicle next to mine, a Mazda 626, another mid-sized car, that will effectively render my space completely unusable. The space is not conducive to a multi-car garage usage as it has numerous large posts that are rectangular and about 16"x12". All are weight bearing. I'm not sure what my rights are as that is my assigned space. It is in my written lease that I have a parking space, but no indication of assignment and they aren't numbered or lettered. What recourse do I have?

Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,903,293 times
I came from Boston where we had to pay first, last, security, realtors fee (1 months rent)

security deposit was usually returned minus $250 which I think was the maximum they could take for cleaning expenses (unless you cleaned up the place yourself)

Old 06-02-2009, 12:13 AM

1 posts, read 17,570 times
Can the Landlord enter the property or show the property when the tenant isn't there and doesn’t give permission to enter or show the property?

Old 06-02-2009, 12:40 AM

14,199 posts, read 26,359,148 times
I know this is WA thread... so here's one link

http://www.wsba.org/media/publications/pamphlets/landlord-tenant.htm (broken link)

It's a little different than other states like CA where the Landlord is only required to give property notice... permission is not required when proper notice is given or in an emergency as defined in statue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington