Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 11,280 times

Advertisements

Hi Elise77 - Just found your posts here. In case you are still wondering about Vashon, my wife & I moved here in 1994, from a dense urban area, with our two kids ages about 6 and 3. For us also, when my wife took our small children to the park, she was the only mother there - all the other kids were with nannies... Vashon does take some getting used to, I remember going through Coffeehouse-and-Radio Shack withdrawal for months. Since then we have built a house, one kid has graduated high school and is headed to Europe tomorrow, the other is a Vashon High School sophomore. Vashon is a strange and wonderful place, we sometimes call it "the island of black sheep." On the other hand, it can seem very small (and boring) to a teenager.

We'd be happy to chat about life on 'the rock' if you haven't decided yet, and if you decided to move to Vashon, welcome aboard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 12,289 times
Default vashon

I live on vashon and have a kid. I don't work and my husband works on the island. We rent.
Vashon is a rural-ish island. There are parts that feel like country, but mostly it is an island and feels like an island.
Access to the city is not that hot - it is by ferry which is expensive and very time consuming ($20 for car and driver, $5 each additional passenger, it's a 15 minute ferry ride PLUS your wait in line, loading time, drive to the boat, unloading time...if I have a meeting in the city at noon I leave the house BY 10 am at the very latest)
It is pretty here, there are some cool natural-ish parks, the schools are considered good, though I have some issues with them. There are a few good private school options too. Vashon is great for kids. Friendly, people know each other.
YOu would be close to the airport, but if you are flying a lot the ferries can be a big problem, they are more often than not late. And they don't run around the clock.
THere aren't really any neighborhoods on vashon, just areas of the island. Kids can play outside on their own once they are old enough but won't likely be able to walk or bike to another kid's house (people drive very fast and houses are far apart most of the island).
If you don't want to live in a fish bowl, don't move to vashon.
Bainbridge is more of a town, it has more services, more ferries serve it, you can drive off. The schools are great. It is a lot easier to adjust to and has more cultural attractions. If you would seriously consider Bainbridge you probably wouldn't like vashon. ALmost no one on Vashon would move to Bainbridge - it's a different feel.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:20 PM

37 posts, read 139,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by storybird View Post
ALmost no one on Vashon would move to Bainbridge - it's a different feel.
Can you expand?

Im in a similar position; thinking of moving up there with 2 young kids, and am trying to figure out where we would fit best. We like city, like country, but don't love suburbs. Bainbridge looks kind of suburban to me...?

Old 03-16-2008, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 24,630 times
Did you ever move to either place. We are embarking on the same journey this year and trying to decide whether or not to move back to the NW from Scotland. Bainbridge Island appears to fit all the requirements but it would be great to hear how it went for you if you took the plunge. Our boys are 5 and 4 year old twins. My family want us to move back to Portland but the only comparable schools that are good at every level are in Lake Oswego and West Linn, where you really can't get a lot for your money including space! We love the outdoors and the boys have a lot of energy! Bainbridge seems to have it all, great schools, space, community but with access to big city amenities. I am coming over for a visit in a little over a week and would love to hear from you if you moved there and how it went, your impressions and experiences, good or bad. Thanks

Old 04-24-2008, 11:42 AM

28 posts, read 118,998 times
My wife and I (and a baby and tot at the time) moved to Vashon 9 years ago. We are originally from Maryland (DC suburbs).

My observations since moving here are that there are *generally* two types of people who move to Vashon. Those that feel too isolated and leave after a couple of years (to Seattle or to the penisula/Bainbridge), and, those that stay for the rest of their lives.

I know I'm in the later camp, and yes, I commute off island 5 days a week...to Issaquah (). The commute is fabulous (to me anyway). It's 1:15-1:30 each way, but a significant part of that is on a boat (reading or snoozing).

I'm sure Bainbridge is very nice too, but I've never actually been there, so can't really comment.

Anywho - When I'm not at work, there's no place I'd rather be than Vashon. You can feel the stress just float off of you when you step off the boat.

The only big drawback to me is that Vashon is part of King County.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,659 times
Default Retirees consider relocating from Hawaii

No, we aren't nuts, but have reached the age where we would like to see our kids and grandkids more than once a year! We have been in Hawaii over 25 years, and enjoy the outdoor lifestyle. At 68 years old, I bike and paddle, my wife is happy to paddle and sail, and really enjoys pilates and yoga. Last year I had a medical scare that drew us to Seattle as one of the very best places where I could be treated. That scare has passed, but reminded us how fragile life can be. So, we are looking for a good place near Seattle where we won't be too compromised by the notorious coastal Washington weather. Vashon island has been on our radar for nearly a year, and we've explored many of its features online. We like the apparent diversity, can afford a nice house with no reservations, and have the income that allows us some good choices in where we locate.

A big concern in relocation is medical care. We have Medicare/Tricare, and have had no issues with access to care, but have retired friends who moved to Boise who were repeatedly denied care, taking over a year to find a practice that accepted them. We are both healthy, but need monitoring for typical infirmities in senior years - coronary artery disease and bone/joint problems.

I'm a retired USMC/town manager/builder developer, and my wife has led a varied life as teacher, school librarian, and small business owner. I'm happiest if I can be building something (would love to move on from post-retirement remodeling to small boat building), and my wife enjoys the sociability of fund raising for historic places/performing arts.

We'd love to hear from others in the area with similar profiles and interests, and find out more about your experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington