Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:25 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,005,177 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth, I agree with what you've said, Ted. I've been in a union in every job I've had since high school until my recent early retirement.

We're from a different generation than Shadow and those of his age so, you're right, they might not understand where we're coming from.

Good comments.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 05-15-2007 at 08:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 08:28 PM

4,436 posts, read 4,851,327 times
Even companies such as Verizon, unions for the most part are powerless. Your boss tells you to do something in violation of the contract and you refuse, you can get suspended for insubornation. Yeah you get reinstated after you go thru grevence process and may get your lost wages only after you go thru alot of worrying and some missed payments on some bills. Imagine if there was no union.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:30 PM

4,436 posts, read 4,851,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
For what it's worth, I agree with what you've said, Ted. I've been in a union in every job I've had since high school until my recent early retirement.

We're in a different generation than Shadow and those of his age so, you're right, they might not understand where we're coming from.

Good comments.

Thanks.

--'rocco
Tthanks Well i will get off my soap box

Old 05-15-2007, 09:42 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
All my union did was take money from me every month. They were the same union used for a different company that did the same thing yet they got much better benefits than us. In reality we really got virtually nothing, and paid for more than we got back.

And our union leader was arrested for embezzlement. Sure people get screwed but I would say far from the majority. I see unions as a scam. Many people also did MUCH poorer work since the job wouldn't fire anyone because the union would freak out no matter how poor of a worker they were. There are far more downsides in my opinion that pro-union people like to ignore. I see the positives but I don't think they are worth it in the end.

And the big Vons strike was a joke. These people get paid FAR too much for the easy labor they do and they were whining over something trivial that they didn't even deserve. Unions allow people to get paid more than they are worth, for doing less work than they should.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:29 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Pretty frustrating that everyone needs to see me in person to find a job...on one hand I understand but really...why not a video interview, phone interview, something. Besides finding a job everything else is going smoothly...once I get this taken care of I should be in the clear but I'm running into a lot of road blocks...

Old 05-17-2007, 01:01 PM

52 posts, read 348,668 times
Its a very 'tete a tete' process. They have piles of resumes, lots of phone calls from people fishing for 'greener pastures'. But a person 'in person' makes the difference.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:43 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
I'm probably driving down there the weekend before, this sucks.

EDIT: I'm considering the bus driving job. I'm about to turn 23 in August (I got my license shortly after turning 18) so I'm a few months away from having a five-year clean driving record, but currently I have NO problems with my record at all, so once I hit that five-year mark I'm good to go right?

Old 05-17-2007, 03:55 PM

Well, the way I interpret it is that you have to have a clean driving record for five years but it doesn't necessarily mean that you have had to posess a license for five years. Does that make sense at all? This is the way it was explained to me by a friend who currently works for the agency. You might want to call to make sure.

http://www.metrokc.gov/kcdot/jobs/ptto/qualifications.stm (broken link)

So when answering questions on the application, you should answer "no" when it asks if you had any accidents or violations in the past five years.

http://www.metrokc.gov/kcdot/jobs/ptto/safety_app.pdf (broken link)

You do, however, have to apply in person because you first make an appointment over the phone to take the test and that is the time you will turn in the application.

http://www.metrokc.gov/kcdot/jobs/ptto/apply.stm (broken link)

I made a mistake when giving the wages in my last post on this thread. The training pay is $8/hr. The when training is over you step up to $17+/hr. with top step being $25+/hr.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-17-2007, 04:23 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
$8/hr. is extremely weak...how long does training last? $12/hr. I could have dealt with. And what is the test that I have to pass? I have no bus experience but I do have a perfect record.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:45 PM

Training is 26 days.

I think the test consists of a video test of "what would you do in this situation?" type questions. It's to see how well you deal with the public and how much common sense you have. No experience with anything is necessary. I believe there's a short written test to makes sure you can understand english, that you have the writing skills to fill out reports, etc., and maybe some basic questions about traffic laws.

Pay scale after training starts at $17.74/hr. and I think top step is $25.34/hr.

Thanks.

--'rocco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: