Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 50,618 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at property in south Mason County and also in the area east of Olympia (Yelm/Rainier/Tenino). I'm currently in Oregon's Willamette Valley and tired of breathing grass seed farmer's smoke for most of the summer. Can anyone give me an opinion on the general air quality of areas east and west of Olympia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 11:42 AM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
when it comes to air quality, the only thing I'd personally consider in that area is not being close to I5 and the pollution that comes from exaust.

Heading out to Rainier and parts of Tenino (some outskirts of Yelm) you'll hit some farmland, but it's not full scale commercial farming. The whole area has a lot of growth going on so I'd imagine that farmland will slowly disappear. I've only been through the Willamette Valley maybe 5-6 times, so I can't speak for the whole area, but farming seems more predominant there (last drive through was back in Feb 07). I was surprised at the number of sheep I saw through the area, you won't see that up here.

South Mason county doesn't have much at all except a few areas heading out to McCleary. Again, like most of the area, it's heavily wooded though with very little commercial farming going on. You'll see plenty of horses and occasional cattle, but again, not on a commercial scale.

I'd recommend taking a drive through the area yourself though to make the comparison.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:06 PM

6 posts, read 50,618 times
Thanks Chris
The Willamette Valley is considered one of the worst for allergies because it tends to hold in the pollens. On top of that we get a lot of smoke from slash fires from the timberlands. During the summer, especially late summer, the grass seed farmers light off their fields and the entire middle and southern valley is poluted with dense smoke and the air full of ash. Even those without allergies have trouble with being stuffed up, coughing, burning eyes ect. Not much fun.

As I understand it, Washington has banned grass seed field burning altogether, as has some other states. I also had heard that Washington does not allow private property burning within each city/town's urban growth area. Does that seem to be true?

How are the areas I mentioned (in Washington) for allergy sufferers and for agriculture burning? I appreciate all in put.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:11 AM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
I don't think you'll have to worry about burning in any of the areas you've described. Obviously if you're within city limits, you won't have to worry about burning at all.

I have pretty good allergies and these aren't areas I'd worry about. Areas west of Olympia or further south of Olympia, you might encounter it. I know when I was looking at property in Elma, my allergies were pretty bad.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:25 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,761 times
I used to live in Southern California, so that is my frame of reference in terms of what constitutes a smoggy environment. Yelm/Olympia has very little in the way of air pollution, imho. I don't suffer from hay fever, so I can't help you with info about that. It rains a lot and it is usually overcast, so any pollutants get washed out of the air anyway.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:51 AM

4 posts, read 16,465 times
Red face air quality

Anybody know about COPD and have any experience with folks having it? Air quality is important to those w/COPD. My wife has it bad, and I have an opportunity for a job in or near Woodland, so before I make a decision I'd like to know just what it is like. I lived in Tacoma in the 60's, grew up in Walla Walla, and lived in Alaska for 5 years. I could get used to the overcast again if need be. Down here in Georgia, either the pollution is too high, the humidity making the heat feel intolorable, or otherwise un livible outdoors. You see a lot of decks, but drive around and see how few are being used. Normally to bar-b-q and take the food indoors. People (especially children) spend way too much time indoors. Does the rain do that in Woodland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington