U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-14-2009, 10:32 PM
 
60 posts, read 153,793 times
Reputation: 43
Default Rainiest place in Washington?

I've grown a little tired of the blistering heat and constant sunshine down in California, as I've always kind of preferred rain and cloudiness. Sure, Chico's great, but I'm thinking about moving up to Washington in a few years, and I was wondering what are the rainiest cities in Washington? I am aware of all the problems that arise in rainy cities and I am prepared for them.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2009, 12:43 AM
 
Location: BOY-see
4,326 posts, read 6,717,224 times
Reputation: 4652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicoan View Post
I've grown a little tired of the blistering heat and constant sunshine down in California, as I've always kind of preferred rain and cloudiness. Sure, Chico's great, but I'm thinking about moving up to Washington in a few years, and I was wondering what are the rainiest cities in Washington? I am aware of all the problems that arise in rainy cities and I am prepared for them.
I'd bet on Forks, Clallam Bay, Neah Bay and other places out toward Cape Flattery, eastward along the Strait of Juan de Fuca and south toward Ocean Shores. My mother lived in Neah Bay for a few years and it rains like all hell there. Forks has become a mecca due to some kind of novels. Oddest possible result I can think of for a former lumber town that looked as good as dead except for being the county seat.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Near Sequim, WA
426 posts, read 1,048,725 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I'd bet on Forks, Clallam Bay, Neah Bay and other places out toward Cape Flattery, eastward along the Strait of Juan de Fuca and south toward Ocean Shores. My mother lived in Neah Bay for a few years and it rains like all hell there. Forks has become a mecca due to some kind of novels. Oddest possible result I can think of for a former lumber town that looked as good as dead except for being the county seat.
Agreed although it depends somewhat upon the OP's definition of cities as some of the rainier "cities" on WA's peninsula are nothing more than boarded up gas stations decorated with several rusted out cars.

To the OP, pull out your WA state map and find Port Angeles on it. Now trace your finger west on Hwy. 112 out to Joyce or just beyond. As j_k_k said, you'll start getting in to the "rain belt" at or about there. Move out to Neah Bay. Now trace your finger down the entire western coastline of the peninsula (taking in Forks) down through Grays Harbor/Aberdeen all the way to the Columbia river on the WA/OR border.

This is the drenched part of WA. Should be enough rain in those areas to suit you! No jobs or much in the way of ammenities there to speak of- but plenty of dark weather and bucket loads upon bucket loads of rain!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
1,040 posts, read 3,924,858 times
Reputation: 986
Honestly? As long as you're west of the Cascades, you'll get to experience plenty of rain. I don't think you necessarily have to seek out the rainiest places to get your fix of rain. Just being in Seattle or Bellingham will give you plenty of rain and cloudy, overcast skies.

Check out this rainfall map of Washington state though, it'll show you where you'll get the most rain:

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cm...-rainfall.html
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Washington Coast
47 posts, read 164,870 times
Reputation: 47
This side of the state is very rainy, in the Winter, but Summers are generally sunny, cool, with little expected precipitation.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
1,040 posts, read 3,924,858 times
Reputation: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
This side of the state is very rainy, in the Winter, but Summers are generally sunny, cool, with little expected precipitation.
Excellent point and I'm glad you mentioned it.

The biggest misconception about Washington's rain is that it's rainy equally all through the year. This isn't the case - the rain is seasonal, with the majority of it falling between November and March/April.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Washington Coast
47 posts, read 164,870 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
Excellent point and I'm glad you mentioned it.

The biggest misconception about Washington's rain is that it's rainy equally all through the year. This isn't the case - the rain is seasonal, with the majority of it falling between November and March/April.
Yes! Also, if you don't water your grass in the Summer here, it will quickly turn brown, due to lack of rain, but the grass is green and beautiful all Winter!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 02:43 PM
 
60 posts, read 153,793 times
Reputation: 43
Is Ocean Shores the largest of the towns you mentioned?

EDIT: I've found a few more places: Astoria, Oregon, and Kalama, Washington. Are these pretty sure bets for heavy precipitation?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 02:54 PM
 
Location: BOY-see
4,326 posts, read 6,717,224 times
Reputation: 4652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicoan View Post
Is Ocean Shores the largest of the towns you mentioned?
Not exactly sure--you could check CD.c's records to see the population figures--but I haven't heard very good things about Ocean Shores anyway. For a slightly larger area where you could be confident you would spend much of the year soaked and vainly putting Ridmoss on your roof (do you sense that I am glad I moved to the dry side?), I'd consider Aberdeen/Hoquiam/Cosmopolis. I suspect that's about the most significantly sized urbanism on that part of the peninsula, not counting Port Angeles which is arguably the de facto capital of the peninsula and is just a ferry ride from Victoria.

Further south there is Ilwaco/Ocean Park/Long Beach, most of which is on a long spit (hocccch) framing Willapa Bay and is probably coastal WA's most concentrated tourism portion. Plus, if you like grunge, surely there must be a Cobain shrine in Aberdeen somewhere. In no way would I consider living in Neah Bay, or on any of the other reservations, unless you're a member of the tribe in question.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 02:57 PM
 
Location: BOY-see
4,326 posts, read 6,717,224 times
Reputation: 4652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicoan View Post
EDIT: I've found a few more places: Astoria, Oregon, and Kalama, Washington. Are these pretty sure bets for heavy precipitation?
Especially Astoria, which is a pretty cool town if you can stand the rain (and it sounds like you thrive on it). Kalama's climate, I think, is more similar to Portland's, which is still pretty rainy but nothing like the miserable downpour of the coast. It is probably fair to say that Astoria is to its region as Aberdeen is to the middle WA coast and PA is to the Strait of JdF coast--the primary mecca for surrounding small towns to do most of their shopping. When my mom lived in Neah Bay, she had to go to PA for most stuff, and I have a buddy from college near Naselle who has to go down to Astoria for semi-major stuff.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top