Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:40 PM

7 posts, read 24,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Commute isn't bad if you live in S Seattle to the Ft because you're going against traffic, as most commuters are going into Seattle. Living S of the Fort (Olympia, Lacey) is closer, and the commute is fine, except when you get near N Ft Lewis Gate as it tends to bottleneck bad and as for Fridays going South from the Fort? Fagetaboutit. It's a mess.

If I were working at the Ft, I'd live where I'm still going against the traffic but closer to the Ft than S Seattle: N Tacoma, Browns Point, Fircrest, University Place, Steilacoom. Maybe even Puyallup if you can take the back gate into the Ft (sometimes 512 gets nasty going west).

There is really no reason to live near Seattle when you have many options closer to the Ft.

This is exactly what we did when we lived there. We chose a home in North Tacoma and that way my husband drove against traffic....
We do not regret the decision. Many of his coworkers bought in that area as well, North end and West end of Tacoma.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 01:00 PM

238 posts, read 862,897 times
The OP should give more info about themselves. Age? Single? Kids? Likes Suburban or Urban?

If you are a 20's something single person you might not want to live in Yelm, Downtown Tacoma might be more fitting. In my complex where I live in Downtown/Hilltop I would say about 25% of the units have military folks in their 20's - 30's. Some single, some coupled.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 10,552 times
Default movin out west...

Thanks everyone for the posts...

To give more information, per Jake840's post, I am late 20's, single, and have lived near DC my whole life, so would like to be near a city. I'm perfectly fine with suburbs as long as it is within reasonable driving distance of the city, because i have several friends i would like to be able to visit regularly who live in the city. So, i do not want to be south/west of Ft. Lewis. I'd prefer something in between Seattle and Ft. Lewis.

So, i am looking for a place with diversity, but also plenty of people in their 20's and 30's. I'd prefer that the place have lots of food options, close to water if possible, and a decent, but not crazy (frat-like) night life (but i know you can't have it all).

Having said all of that. Can some people clarify their posts/preferences?
Looking at a map, i would probably not live anyhwere north of Des Moines or Federal Way. could people voice their thoughts on commute, crime, demographics, and fun-factor for the places they or others have mentioned?
(and if anyone has questions about the DC area, feel free to drop me a line)

Old 02-07-2010, 05:05 PM

North End neighborhoods....
West end as well.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:24 PM

238 posts, read 862,897 times
I would say look in Downtown Tacoma and the Stadium District.

The North End is nice if you are looking at houses and maybe have a family. West End if you are about to retire.

I just don't hear a lot of people in their 20's saying "man I just got a sweet pad off Pearl Street"

Downtown has diversity (maybe more in the way of the north part of downtown is the "gayborhood"), lots of restaurants, close to the bay/waterway, diverse nightlife options (clubs, restaurants, lounges, karaoke). Has light rail that takes you from either end of downtown and its free. Not really much in the way of crime. Lots of living options; older apartments, newer apartments, condos that are for rent, townhomes....

Old 02-22-2010, 06:41 AM

Jake840! Yes people in their twenties look for the West End! We knew plenty of twenty something military young officers ( of course higher twenties) who bought in the West End and kept the homes as rentals after they moved out. We bought there for that reason (hubby is military officer) and now we are lucky to have the home as quality rental. Right now the home is occupied by a military family. I loved my home there because it was so peaceful yet so close to everything.
But I have to agree...if the OP wants more action 24/7 and at walking distance then West End is not the place. I loved it though...

Old 02-23-2010, 09:06 PM

172 posts, read 412,831 times
When we lived there I commuted from Lewis to the South Fed. Building every.single.weekday. And it was hellish. On good days it would take an hour and fifteen min, on a bad day two hours - each way. Keep in mind that this should be a 45 min trip with moderate traffic moving at freeway speeds. I found the first job near/on post that I could and ran with it. My 5 min. commute was so much nicer.
We are planning on moving back to the area. If we move back we have decided to live in Thurston Co. (Olympia area) for the schools, but there are a few places in Tacoma I would be more than willing to live in if I didn't have school aged children.
There isn't a huge void between Seattle and Ft. Lewis (or should we say Joint Base Lewis-McChord?)... there are many lovely locations to live in. When we were there a lot of people were choosing to rent in Puyallup and DuPont. DuPont is literally right across I-5 from post, and is a really cute little area. There are also areas "behind" Lewis - Yelm and Roy, they have a more "country" feel to them.
Good luck at Lewis! Hope you enjoy your time there!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:19 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,162,502 times
Then it comes into what price do you want to pay for housing? I am thinking Federal Way areas not all NE Tacoma you would like but if you are wanting cheap cheap rent?? Also possible. Again the range of time for commute could be good or could be 2 hours plus.I sat last year just trying to go north for 3 hours Yelm/Hawks Prarie Exit to Lakewood... Grrrrrr If you want city more than care about commute times than cross Yelm/Roy entirely off your list.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:34 PM

230 posts, read 621,040 times
Default It all depends on what you're seeking.

I don't agree that the only great areas are in the City and north of it, but then again, that depends upon what someone is looking for. If you're looking for a city vibe, then yes.. Seattle is a city and it's great for that.

If you're going to be working at Fort Lewis, and are okay with a bedroom community vibe, then Puyallup is great, Gig Harbor is great, Sumner is charming. Some people enjoy living in Lacey, too. Those are all fairly self contained communities, geared toward families -- but pleasant with nice houses and pretty low crime.

If you like the funky city vibe, then Proctor District of Tacoma is cool. I'll have to read more in this thread to get an idea of what type of community you're looking for.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:26 AM

28 posts, read 52,947 times
My husband and I are from small mid-west towns and have grown to love the Tacoma area. We live in the University Place area which has about 31,000 residents and maintains a wonderful, neighborly small town feel. Don't listen to the those that tell you that Tacoma stinks- it is really a pretty cool area with a lot going on. Below are some of the reasons why I love to live in University Place.

While other school districts are cutting back on faculty and special programs, University Place schools still have all the bells and whistles including mandatory music programs and unique opportunities for different grade levels such as swimming lessons and the 6th grade week at Camp Seymour. A recent public vote will ensure that the current funding will continue. Everyone from teachers and administrators to students and parents would not want to be anywhere else. Morale is high.

University Place Recreation Department has a fabulous sports programs including lacrosse, soccer, football, basketball, baseball, and dance.

University Place has a community festival every summer at Cirque Park where they have food, games, bands and activities. There is also a Winter Festival and tree lighting.

Fred Meyer, Safeway and Trader Joe’s are great stores to have close by. The new Town Center will further provide a centralized area for services, library, and shopping.

Chambers Bay public golf course is a wonderful local resource. My son and husband run to and around the golf course. I often walk the path with neighbors which is about 3.25 miles. It will host the US Amateurs this summer and the US Open in 2015. Those events will bring a lot of attention to the area as well as help to protect property values. Chambers Bay has a great dog park and this summer there will be public access to the beach and a "tot lot." If you end up in Puyallup or Sumner you are so far from Puget Sound you can easily forget that you are near water.

The museums, restaurants and other cultural events of 6th Ave, Proctor, Old Town, and the water front are easily reached by bus or taxi. (Which we often use to avoid the inevitable conflict between a fun night out and driving home.)

Point Defiance is right up the road. There are miles of running and biking opportunities as well as the zoo, beach and park.

I hope some of this helps! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington