Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,089 times

Advertisements

This is my first time on this forum, and I noticed the post about the lack of growth in the area. This interests me because my husband is a Land Use Planner, and we may be moving to the Okanogan area. Also, is anyone familiar with the Merc theatre, and are there community theatres in the area? I have to have my theatre both for performing and being an audience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 18,402 times
I guess the question is---what kind of a land use planner is your husband? The Okanogan County Planning Dept Director runs a little dictatorship, probably the most regressive county planning dept. in the state, although I can't prove that. An example though is the fact the county is going into their 5th year of concocting a comprehensive plan to replace the outdated 1964 version. During this time there has been a rush on the planning dept. to get subdivisions, short plats and "exempt segregations" vested so that the new zoning rules...if they every happen...wont apply. The county is paranoid about having to come under the GMA (growth management act) which they wont be forced to do until the population hits 50,000. Last count was around 40,000, but that is not accurate because there are at least an additional 10,000 absentee landowners who aren't counted because they have vacation homes only, or hvent developed their parcel yet. It's not that there is no growth...it just doesn't all show yet! But look at the assessor's maps for the area you are interested in before you buy. You might be surprised to see how the land has been platted already although it looks empty.
We have a strong Coalition for Property Rights which doesnt want to see any kind of planning or zoning...just let them do want they want with their land, no matter how it affects others. There are many retiring ranchers who want to sell out and get as much as possible...this is done best by dividing up into 20's or less. So you buy a large ranch and then find out the next door neighbor has platted out his 800 acres into 20 acre parcels. He can do this without proving water, or where the roads will go, etc. He gets it vested and voila! the neighborhood is screwed.
So, as I said, depends on what kind of land use planner your husband is. If he's willing to go along with this he could probably be hired.

The Merc Playhouse is in Twisp, in the Methow valley and is quite popular. The Methow is a much more liberal and progressive part of the county. They even have a group...the Methow Valley Citizens Council who try to protect the environment and quality of life there, which is really great. But its a constant battle!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 PM

14 posts, read 47,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammaJan View Post
Hey Toyota, were neighbors!,,Ive purchased just off of Chewiliken Valley Rd in your area, what is it like dealing with the county? I havent really gotten any good info from them re well, or building...I hear some are building dry cabins no permits, but doesnt look like a good idea to me...who did you choose for a well driller? Im in the So sound area and got a few years on you, want to homestead/retire on my 20, maybe make it 40 if the right piece comes up next to me! GrammaJan
Dude, I spoke of building, I have not only spoke if it, its done! It took me 20 minutes in the planning and building dept to get my building permit. (well, they reviewed the plans) but I wasnt in there more than 20 minutes. They contacted me a week later saying approved.

I had Clearwater Drilling out of Malo drill the well. Floyd Garrison. Knows his stuff. Dont bother shopping around, I think they all price fix. They all had the exact same cost per foot. My neighbor wants to sell his 20 just east of me. But I think he is having second thoughts.

South Sound, where at?

How is this for a first timer!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 13,033 times
Great looking cabin, how big is it??

Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Looks nice and cost-efficient.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:17 PM

29 posts, read 90,482 times
My husband and I just purchased land in Tonasket and couldn't be happier to get the heck out of here (the wet side).. we're small town people, want to enjoy living- not commuting- even if we have to struggle a bit financially. We purchased raw land and have to do the well/septic etc- good to hear about the permits going through so easily..
From reading the the forum I am in total agreement of the "coastie" attitude- as I am a "coastie" in the sense that I was born and raised on this side- but even I get tired of the rudeness! When we are over on the East side we feel freedom.. and my husband doesn't want to shoot everyone!! It's not so much fun driving a dodge dually anywhere near Seattle!! Those little smart carts- sheesh! Anyways, I'm sure my family will adjust - we are super excited about the challenge- and also very excited about going solar- and as much "off grid" as possible! Any suggestions about well drilling/septic/solar- would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHALOM YA'ALL View Post
My husband and I just purchased land in Tonasket and couldn't be happier to get the heck out of here (the wet side).. we're small town people, want to enjoy living- not commuting- even if we have to struggle a bit financially. We purchased raw land and have to do the well/septic etc- good to hear about the permits going through so easily..
From reading the the forum I am in total agreement of the "coastie" attitude- as I am a "coastie" in the sense that I was born and raised on this side- but even I get tired of the rudeness! When we are over on the East side we feel freedom.. and my husband doesn't want to shoot everyone!! It's not so much fun driving a dodge dually anywhere near Seattle!! Those little smart carts- sheesh! Anyways, I'm sure my family will adjust - we are super excited about the challenge- and also very excited about going solar- and as much "off grid" as possible! Any suggestions about well drilling/septic/solar- would be greatly appreciated!
Hey, there is a hippie in Tonasket that runs a a place called "The Solar Shop", he can take care of all your solar needs. Well, spendy. Mine was 178 feet deep, cost was $8,000, and that is just for the hole in the ground. Septic, cheaper, expect to pay between 3500-5000.

I will be a resident there in about 10-12 yrs max. Start my shop next, then my 800 sq foot house (cheap to heat, cheap to cool, to small for kids to move back home) but will have my cabin as a quest house.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:16 PM

29 posts, read 90,482 times
Well, a little up date on our property!! Things are going soo fast- all is coming together so nice. Our driveway is crazy steep and while we got a large rock stuck in our dually- a guy driving up stopped to help- he happened to be our neighbor who also does solar.. much cheaper than the Solar Guy and very informative- very cool way to meet a neighbor. That night as my husband and I were enjoying our property and another neightbor walked over to say hello- next day they brought us coffee and we discussed all the needs for solar.. we are having Ricard Drilling out of Republic do our well- super good prices and very nice guys (brothers, I believe) and then for the septic we are having Tony Gianini who is also from Republic/Curlew area.. again, fair and can do a lot of otherthings as well.
Everyone is so willing to help, and we are anxious to lend hand to help others when the chance arises! Tonasket is awesome!!
My husband says the people are so nice there compared to over on the west side. My husband cant get his hand up fast enough to wave back at others on the road.. we just got home and immediately were discouraged by the rude people here.. o well, just a short time and we will be on our property permanently.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:59 PM

Shalom, interesting about the hand wave. I get it all the time. About 90% of drivers on the road headed up to my cabin, they all wave. If you are pulled over, its not very long, someone will stop and ask if you need help. Try getting that on the wet side. Hey, a little heads up, remove the dealer license plate from form your car, so they wont know where you are from. Its liek going back in time to around the 40's and 50's in the way folks treat others over there.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:12 AM

9 posts, read 26,875 times
Love that cabin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington