U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-13-2011, 09:26 PM
 
Location: anywhere but Seattle
1,082 posts, read 674,253 times
Reputation: 924

Advertisements

Who cares who backed the ballot initiative. Finally rationalizing WA state's antiquated liquor laws was a good thing.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2011, 09:32 PM
 
4,196 posts, read 5,349,254 times
Reputation: 6402
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Who cares who backed the ballot initiative. Finally rationalizing WA state's antiquated liquor laws was a good thing.
I thought that was a bad strategy too. I'm suppose to vote against an initiative because Costco supports it?
Just make your argument on the merits. In the end I am glad it passed. Seemed like an out of date law to me and this will give consumers more choice.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 AM
 
253 posts, read 306,690 times
Reputation: 167
Distributors are useless middlemen. Worse than useless they block smaller distilleries/breweries/wineries from getting access to the shelf (Anheuser Busch is notorious for not allowing their distributors to carry other products). Getting them out of the way alone was worth it. Hopefully it will spread to beer and wine (this ballot measure only applies to liquor).

More access (my time is valuable) and selection is an added bonus.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 11:01 AM
 
Location: the Beaver State
6,476 posts, read 6,314,846 times
Reputation: 3297
I'd be mostly concerned about the revenue to the state. Will it be a net loss or gain to the state?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 11:23 AM
 
253 posts, read 306,690 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I'd be mostly concerned about the revenue to the state. Will it be a net loss or gain to the state?
Gain.

"The budget office expects the change to generate an average of $80 million more in annual revenue for the state and local governments over the next six years."

Local News | Voters kick state out of liquor business | Seattle Times Newspaper
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 06:48 PM
 
1,979 posts, read 1,552,097 times
Reputation: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I won't stop shopping at Costco because produce is cheaper there but I don't see the positives of this at all. Those state employees were fine, it was all fine.
It was not fine. The state should not be in the retail business period. There were no positives of the soon to be abolished crony old system.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 PM
 
1,979 posts, read 1,552,097 times
Reputation: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
From my standpoint the main reason to vote against it was that the biggest spender would have lost/wasted all that money. The tragedy was that it wasn't possible for both sides to lose. The actual benefit or detriment of the initiative itself, for me, became completely lost in disgust at corporations buying law--and it was happening on both sides, so far as I'm aware.
The anti-side was the crony position. Costco was pushing for freedom, big beer and out of state distributors wanted to maintain their crony theifdom. Those folks bashing Costco were only parroting the propaganda from big beer.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 06:59 PM
 
Location: BOY-see
4,355 posts, read 6,983,420 times
Reputation: 4734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The anti-side was the crony position. Costco was pushing for freedom, big beer and out of state distributors wanted to maintain their crony theifdom. Those folks bashing Costco were only parroting the propaganda from big beer.
Costco was pushing for big profits for itself. It was not doing this with the primary goal of making life better for Washingtonians, or providing us 'freedom'. It would push for big profits for itself regardless of if that made life worse for us, or less free, whatever adverse result. I just can't get very excited over which corporation or consortium of corporation wins out, as none of them care about anything but their basic stated purpose which is to maximize profit.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 08:31 PM
 
8,327 posts, read 14,840,373 times
Reputation: 3747
Yeah, when I think of Costco, I think of them as valiant freedom fighters.
My only real concern was that of the workers in the state liquor stores. Those were pretty good jobs, with medical benefits. Now they'll have the freedom to look for work, thanks to Costco. They'll have the freedom to lose their homes to foreclosure. It's all about freedom, like the fries they were calling "Freedom Fries" a few years ago because the French opposed us going into Iraq.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 08:55 PM
 
Location: anywhere but Seattle
1,082 posts, read 674,253 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Yeah, when I think of Costco, I think of them as valiant freedom fighters.
My only real concern was that of the workers in the state liquor stores. Those were pretty good jobs, with medical benefits. Now they'll have the freedom to look for work, thanks to Costco. They'll have the freedom to lose their homes to foreclosure. It's all about freedom, like the fries they were calling "Freedom Fries" a few years ago because the French opposed us going into Iraq.
Gee when you put it like that, why don't we setup a few more state monopolies to create jobs. I hear anybody walk into a store and buy milk willy nilly. Imagine the jobs we could generate with a state run milk monopoly.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top